Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hartcolby
Streaming Star

Re: TV keeps freezing and restarting

I have the best in my area fiber Internet not on hotspot it's not my I reset my Internet and reset my TV I have done everything that these people have asked me to do with that I just said fu*ked it and shot my TV with all my guns because why I can this programing is **bleep** not Internet problems nothing like that it's the programming and that's the issue I'm done with this the not doing anything about it so I fixed my problem.. with guns and your TV programming solved... 

0 Kudos
urban_crawler
Binge Watcher

@Hartcolby 

So, you have some idea as to why you had so many issues. Onn is a Walmart owned brand for TV's.  The thing to know is that these are generally outsourced to OEM manufacturers, most likely located in China.  The way these brands get to make a "Roku" TV is by a licensing agreement.  This is generally for the operating system.  So, when you purchase a TLC, Insignia, Sharp, Onn etc. "Roku" TV the engineers design the T.V.'s with CPU's, Solid State Storage, SOC's that meet the system requirements for Roku OS.  They do not actually use the same hardware you would get when you purchase an actual Roku streaming device or Roku branded T.V.

For example, I have a Sharp Roku TV where the UI has slowed down over the years as Roku O.S. and channels get updates which always results in software bloat.  Is the same concept as cell phones that slow down after years of updates. Compared to my 4800 streamers, some that were older than the tv, the roku streamers remained snappy and quick.

Another issue I've had is using it with modern WiFi6 access points.  Had issues with YouTube TV constantly quitting.  I wound up joining it to an older WiFi5 access point and that problem stopped.

Another difference with the Sharp is the remote, its old school IR instead of the modern Roku remote.

All this is to say it's the manufacturer cheeping out on components that is the root cause of your issues.  From what you described it sounds like the solid-state storage used was probably cheap, and the memory cells failed and wore out to a point where it was corrupting data and causing the Roku OS to crash.

While the blame and support for your issues should lie with Onn and Walmart.  Roku does shoulder some of the blame for not requiring licensees to use quality components, because in the end it reflects poorly on Roku.

I hope shooting the T.V. was cathartic.  I'm sure it was well deserved!

0 Kudos
Hartcolby
Streaming Star

Well I can tell you it was well Deserved I'm tired of the run around and do this and do that download this what's the error code because I do get an error code when it just reboots its self. For for the life of me why in the F*ck can't ruko people fixs this problem? And I know I'm a broke motherfu*ker I can't help that I wasn't gifted a lot of money even with a job that pays every week I still have bills to pay and now days fuc* these people now days I call them KEYBOARD WARRIORS. And not to mention who on this commenting is not AI 🙄 because some of these comments are just like what I would say to someone just to get them to shut up and leave them alone just saying. 

They are never going to fixed this problem 

0 Kudos
MrP1
Channel Surfer

I agree, you pay for something it should work! These TV's are pure trash!

0 Kudos

I have the same issue but I plugged a Roku stick into it and the stick works fine.  Very frustrating.  So that eliminates any issues except with the Roku app on the TV.  It is very frustrating.  I don't think I will buy another smart TV just because I can always plug a stick to any TV and not have to worry about TV issues and going obsolete.

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @Soccerdaddio

Thanks for posting, and welcome to the Roku Community.

We appreciate you for sharing this information to us, and we'd be more than glad to assist. As a start, we'd like to know more about the issue. What behavior does the issue display? Also, what specific Roku device you are having issues with, and do you have a Roku TV? Further, what steps have you taken so far to resolve the issue?

With more details the better we can assist.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
urban_crawler
Binge Watcher

@Hartcolby 

Assuming it is a hardware issue, Roku will never be able to fix this because it's not their hardware.  If the T.V. is out of warranty, there isn't much you can do either.  If you look at the price online for that model, it's going for ~$100.  I'd say that TV is designed for light use.

If it's a bug in their software then you'd have to report the details of the T.V. and wait for Roku to either work with the manufacturer, or test in-house until they replicate the issue and then come up with a solution.  It's a pain and time consuming.  

That's a downside with these products, they're complex and sometimes it takes a long time to fix.

As mentioned by others, you can either use a Roku stick (had the monitor not been shot up) in an HDMI port.  That or get a Roku branded TV or a new/used T.V. and a Streaming stick or one of the high-end Roku streamers.  They seem to last a lot longer.  If you use this a lot a streaming stick is not the way to go.  As with most things, if you're going to be a heavy user, the Roku Ultra or Roku branded TV is going to be designed for that level of use.

@RokuTakashi Maybe Roku should offer users with these issues to ship their Roku branded T.V.'s in so you can review what is going on instead of leaning on people who are not tech savvy to have to run through troubleshooting, describing issues explicitly, then going back and forth with support which probably goes nowhere.

Especially, if they try to go through chat support where I've personally asked technical questions that the person on chat did understand and just left the chat without any resolution.

ClaraSGS

Roku TV issue: crashing to home screen

Hello, my Roku TV keeps crashing and  exiting from apps while we’re using them. This problem started a year ago, and we tried everything to fix it (checking for updates, checking wifi connectivity, deleting apps, doing a factory reset), but nothing works. Again, this does not seem to be a connectivity issue. Roku TV glitches while we’re searching for or watching content (Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Disney+, Paramount+…), goes dark, and exits to the home screen. No one seems to know how to fix this - please help! 

0 Kudos
Hartcolby
Streaming Star

Or it's your tech people not being nice like I have been di*kheads and the people like me get fed up with  your arrogant technician thinking they know everything fuc*ing things and you think I would send my Fu*cking junk ass TV in you have I have different story to tell you because I don't trust you with me s*it I took my junk ass TV out and shot the piss out of mind and went and got me a fire TV not had a issue with mine since how about that ypu guys are not doing a fu*king thing because people like me are getting the **bleep**ing run around it's message like this I would rather not have people like you on messages on my email acting arrogant because I don't think you guys know what the fuc* you're doing because if you did you would have it fixed by now and not have to buy more junk ruko HDMI plug in the back of another TV that isn't smart **bleep**i*g stupid shouldn't buy another TV because yours don't work?!!! 

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku TV issue: crashing to home screen

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community, @ClaraSGS!

It is highly appreciated that you have brought this to our attention. We will coordinate this with the appropriate Roku team for further review and find you the best resolution possible.

With this being said, kindly provide us with the following details below so they can review your device and correct this:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and OS version. (this can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • Tracker ID (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)

Please note that those who have already provided these details to disregard this as we have already included this in the process. We'll be looking forward to your response as we are more than eager to help you get back on streaming. 

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.