cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gatorgogo
Channel Surfer

Re: Suddenly no sound from soundbar, HDMI ARC and CEC stopped working

Jump to solution

I've been trying to get this to work since Oct, 2023 when the 12.5 update came out and messed up the ARC connection between my Yamaha soundbar and my Samsung TV.

I've noticed that the problem happens when I try to use the newer Roku Ultra (4802X) or the new Roku Ultra LT (4801RW).  Both cause the ARC HDMI connection to the soundbar to disconnect and I don't get anything out of the soundbar.  The Roku's are using the latest 13.0 OS too.

However, if I use an older Roku Ultra (4670X) then ARC HDMI connection to the soundbar works fine and I get sound.

So for now I'll just keep using the older 4670X and hope Roku gets around to fixing this problem on the newer Roku Ultra's someday.  

0 Kudos
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Thanks for keeping us posted, @Gatorgogo @wydoihavetoregi!

We truly appreciate all your efforts to resolve the issue, but we understand that it persists.

Please be advised that there is a connectivity issue between your TV and sound bar. We highly recommend that you reach out to your TV manufacturer, as this issue seems to be related to the connectivity between your Samsung TV and Yamaha soundbar. They will be the ones who can handle this kind of issue on both devices.

Please don't hesitate to let us know if there's anything else you'd like us to address. We'd be more than willing to listen and take immediate action, as we are committed to finding a solution to your concerns.

Best regards,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
stillfalls
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have had Rolu 3 since 2016 hooked up to my old Samsung.
And I loved it.
And now, as a customer of Comcast/Xfinity since 1987...yes, 30 years...i am cutting.
I bought a new LG G4 65 for the front room with Bose Smart Ultra Soundbar,
and a samsung over-qualified @$450 for bedroom, with smaller (much smaller) age-appropriate soundbar.
and i bought ROKU ULTRA for the LG
I also bought a firestick....relevant later
and Roku 4K stick for the bedroom...figured i would donate the roku 3 to museum collectors.
this all happend over 2 weekends Memorial Day.
Worked fine for 2 weeks."
Then, ROKU ultra stopped working audio.
Then Roku 4K stopped working.
BUT
sound is fine through the native apps on the tv .....
so i hve read the VOLUMES and VOLUMES of messges about this issue and have concluded.
ROKU SUCKS and rests on its laurels of best device.
I have done power (idiots choice as that always works...or does it)
factory resets
changed cables
changed ports
even

EVEN used my old ROKU 3, and none work.
BUT

that sample i bought to test things out...that amazon firestick.....
works just fine.

SO I have given up and moved on.
Wish the rest of you good luck.

kzipperle
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Problem just started this week with my JVC LT-75MAW605, onboard ROKU app, and LG sound bar. SB working fine for two years, then stopped working.

Called JVC customer service who pointed their finger at LG of course. Then called LG to make sure they didn't have any solutions.

I have a small Vizio SB working fine that I'm going to swap out to prove it's not the SB. Then advising JVC that I'm chucking an otherwise functional TV--never to return--for a different brand. You talk with your feet...

0 Kudos
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello! @kzipperle,

Thank you for posting in the Roku Community!

We appreciate you contacting us about the issue with your JVC TV and LG soundbar. Each TV/soundbar manufacturer offers direct support for its TV/soundbar models. Please contact the TV/soundbar manufacturer for further support with this issue.

Please continue working with them. They can guide you through the necessary steps and provide you with the assistance you need. 

Please don't hesitate to reach out to them for help. They will be in a better position to address your specific situation.

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
MNMike

Jump to solution

Same thing for me… I have two identical setups with Sharp TVs w/ built in Roku and the Bose Roku specific soundbars. One still is working fine, fingers crossed. The other stopped working. Tried swapping soundbars between them and its definitely one of the TVs that has stopped working via ARC. Soundbar works via optical (defeats the purpose of ARC) and bluetooth, neither of which I use. Roku will say “its the TV”, Sharp will say “its the software” and no one will solve anything. 

So like others here, apparently my “choice” is to dump otherwise fine TV and soundbars and probably buy onboard Amazon and a matching vendor TV & soundbar setup.

Extremely frustrating.

kzipperle
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I solved my problem but no idea why/how the fix worked. To reiterate, my LG soundbar and JVC TV with Roku were working fine. Then suddenly the SB stopped working, and the volume displays (up/down, mute) on Roku disappeared. They would only reappear along with the sound if I switched to the TV speakers.

After resetting and rebooting the existing equipment every possible way, I swapped out the LG SB with another SB (Vizio) using the same connections. Didn't work. So with each SB, I started a process of systematically trying every combination of HDMI ports on the back of the TV and SB. I didn't differentiate whether it was just HDMI or ARC (HDMI) ports.

I also tried two different HDMI cables. One combination--I don't recall--restored the on-screen volume displays but no sound from the SB. Another variable to try is reversing the direction of the HDMI cable even if it's bidirectional.

Finally, using a different HDMI cable from the original and plugging each end into the ARC ports on BOTH the TV and SB got it working. If anyone can figure out why that worked, please speak up. Based on my experience, I would encourage anyone running into this problem to experiment with different cables and equipment, if possible.

0 Kudos
BlasterMaster
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

OK I am having the exact problem here with my Samsung TV and Roku soundbar and speakers. I am getting no sound from the soundbar. I have tried TV and Amazon Music. I get sound from the 2 Bluetooth speakers but not from the soundbar. It is setup to HDMI ARC. I tried changing it to HDMI 2, still no sound. I tried changing the HDMI cable, no sound. I unplugged everything and also pushed the reset button on the soundbar, no sound. I checked all my Roku and TV settings. Here is the weird part, when I run the Roku Cinematic Sound app that came with the Roku surround, I get full sound from the soundbar and the speakers. Please help.

0 Kudos
BlasterMaster
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I am still having this problem as many here have. Your generic repeated posts of using the correct HDMI, unplugging and plugging them in again, powering cycling the TV and ROKU and all things we would have tried before posting here. Also you saying to contact the TV manufacturer this isn't helpful to point fingers away from you when your hardware has a clear problem. Please provide REAL help as we need it.

stillfalls
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@BlasterMaster We now live in a world of helpful AI Bots, that scour the internet for similar topics, assemble responses, filter and deliver them with a cheerful wish for good luck and 'let us know how it goes.'
The really cool, scary cuz it could be real, movies of the 60s, 70s, 80s 90s, are now far surpassed and way all-too-true real,,,,  even star trek tech is old school. 

Good luck with your dilemma. Mine has not gone away, but have found the same solution i used in 1985 with my PC AT.   Ctrl-Alt_Delete with factory reset.
Kinda like divorcing, then re-marrying your ex wife/husband.

again,and again, and again, and again

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.