Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bankone

Roku suddenly disconnected from wifi

Jump to solution

We have a Roku streaming stick+ (2017- 3810x model) and a Vizio E55-C1 (2015).

Roku is just refusing to connect to the wifi, if it does connect it has a ‘fair’ connection and nothing will open. All other devices in the house stay connected to the network, no problem.

We switched our internet probably 6-8 months ago, and that’s when the problems really started. I’m convinced it’s the internet, but my parents think it’s the tv.

Are the devices outdated? Could it be the tv? I’m planning on calling the internet tomorrow, but if there is something I’m missing please let me know!

Labels (1)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku suddenly disconnected from wifi

Jump to solution

Hi, @bankone

We're always glad to see new users here in the Roku Community.

We appreciate you for sharing this information with us, we're sorry to hear about the troubles. For this instance, we recommend performing the steps below to resolve the network connectivity issue you've encountered.

Network System Restart

1. Press Home on your Roku remote.
  2. Scroll and select Settings.
  3. Select Advanced system settings.
  4. Select Network connection reset.
  5. Select Reset connection.
  6. Reconnect to your network.

System Restart

3. Select System > Power.
  4. If you do not see a Power sub-menu, proceed to System Restart.

After performing the steps below, kindly check to see if you notice any improvements.

Please let us know what you find out.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Thanks for keeping us updated, @statusfraction.

We're happy to continue assisting you with your network issues on the Roku device, and we appreciate the steps you have taken so far.

In addition to those attempts, we would recommend doing the following:

• Move your Roku closer to your router. Sometimes, the distance between your Roku and the router can cause connectivity issues. Try moving your Roku closer to your router and see if that improves the Wi-Fi signal.
  • Restart your Roku and your router: Sometimes, simply restarting your Roku and your router can fix the issue. Turn off both devices, wait a few seconds, and then turn them back on.
  • Check for software updates: Make sure your Roku is running the latest software. Go to Settings > System > System Update.
  • Mobile Hotspot: Kindly try connecting the device to a different network just to check if the same issue persists.

We hope this helps. Please keep us posted.

All the best,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @bankone

We're always glad to see new users here in the Roku Community.

We appreciate you for sharing this information with us, we're sorry to hear about the troubles. For this instance, we recommend performing the steps below to resolve the network connectivity issue you've encountered.

Network System Restart

3. Select Advanced system settings.
  4. Select Network connection reset.
  5. Select Reset connection.
  6. Reconnect to your network.

System Restart

3. Select System > Power.
  4. If you do not see a Power sub-menu, proceed to System Restart.

After performing the steps below, kindly check to see if you notice any improvements.

Please let us know what you find out.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JudeeL

Jump to solution

I’m having to do this multiple times during a 4 hour time frame. The Roku also shows not connected when tv is first turned on. Have to unplug to get it to reset. This is an ongoing problem which has been happening for 3+ months. 
Do I need a new RoKu? This one is less than a year old!

Thank you.

statusfraction
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Having the same issue with our roku brand tv. new as of 11/2023. requires unplugging to get back to internet connect. signal strength excellent, but doesn't stay connected. Also the roku speakers disconnect, returning to the tv speakers, then begins to search for and reconnect wireless speakers. Can you give any direction as to how to resolve this?

RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @JudeeL, @statusfraction,

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community!

We're sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you. That's not what we aim for. Did you try the troubleshooting steps that have been provided and posted above by @RokuTakashi?

If the problem persists, keep us posted on what you find out!
All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
statusfraction
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Have tried the recommended steps and they do not always correct the situation. The one sure way to get back on track is to unplug the tv and wait, then plug it back in. Then the internet connect connection resumes. On checking the signal strength, it is always excellent, but still it fails. 

Also, more recently, the wireless speakers stop working and the tv speakers cut in. but only temporarily, then one by one the wireless speakers resume function. 

When the Roku brand tv was introduced, we quickly moved away from the previous TCL roku tv and replaced it with this, thinking that it would be a superior product.  That was Nov 2023. It seems as though there are quite a few problems that remain. We are looking for a resolution from Roku. 

RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Thanks for keeping us updated, @statusfraction.

We're happy to continue assisting you with your network issues on the Roku device, and we appreciate the steps you have taken so far.

In addition to those attempts, we would recommend doing the following:

• Move your Roku closer to your router. Sometimes, the distance between your Roku and the router can cause connectivity issues. Try moving your Roku closer to your router and see if that improves the Wi-Fi signal.
  • Restart your Roku and your router: Sometimes, simply restarting your Roku and your router can fix the issue. Turn off both devices, wait a few seconds, and then turn them back on.
  • Check for software updates: Make sure your Roku is running the latest software. Go to Settings > System > System Update.
  • Mobile Hotspot: Kindly try connecting the device to a different network just to check if the same issue persists.

We hope this helps. Please keep us posted.

All the best,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
statusfraction
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks for the help. 

0 Kudos
DarthVHF
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yes, me too, the exact issue.   However the ROKU TVi n the bedroom next door is just fine.  The Roku TVs in both bedrooms are the exact same model purchased at same time.  Not sure why one Roku TV is experiencing this issue and other is operating correctly.

0 Kudos
The_Cape

Jump to solution

I'm experiencing the same problem with a TCL/Roku TV that is less than a year old. I've tried all of the "possible" solutions and they only work temporarily. The TV works for a day and the next day it needs to be either unplugged, network settings reset, etc. I have an Orbi extender 5 ft away from the TV. I'm typing on my laptop in the same room and the signal is strong.

The TV worked fine even without an extender before. It's not the other hardware. I believe Roku pushed out a software or firmware update with a bug and they haven't fixed the issue as this is a common complaint. 

You will get generic bot like solutions from Roku moderators but they just repeat the same thing over and over. Until they actually address and fix the issue then this will continue to be a problem. My TV literally has less than 20 hrs on it. It's in our second home in Florida. I installed it less than a year ago.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.