Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vicia
Reel Rookie

Roku TV stuck in Guest Mode

Anyone have any suggestion on this. The TV is locked seems to be locked to a unknown account.

I have read the Guest Mode article which basically states to use the pin code or sign into the Roku site to deactivate Guest Mode.
https://support.roku.com/article/360015612834

The problem:
-Roku TV is stuck in Guest Mode.
-My pin code does not work. I don't know what the "correct" one is.
-The TV is not listed under my Roku account. I can not figure out what account it might be on. The settings screen does not show the email address it is linked to when the TV is under Guest Mode.
-Factory reset. There is no option to factory reset in the settings. Resetting it with the reset button goes through the process of connecting to the internet, downloading update, then reboots and brings me back into Guest Mode.

If there isn't any solutions, I'm curious. Does any know if there a limit on 4-digit pin attempt? Can it be brute-forced?

25 REPLIES 25
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku TV stuck in Guest Mode

@vicia 

It is possible that your RokuTV was compromised when you set it up if you used a third party to set it up for you.  A known tactic by scammers is to lock the TV in guest mode.

Try Factory Resetting the TV again but with a different procedure and using different update method.  Also use a new email address for your Roku account for this RokuTV.

1. Download the USB update for RokuTV. (How to use USB to update your unconnected Roku TV - https://support.roku.com/article/212361468)

2. Disconnect the RokuTV from the network so it cannot access internet.  Easiest method is to just power off/unplug your modem and router.

3. Factory Reset the RokuTV again using the Reset pinhole/button (Press and hold 30+secs).

4. Follow the instructions on screen. (Make sure you select the option to set up later if any internet connection messages appear.  Also, make sure to type any addresses directly into the browser address bar exactly as shown.  Mistyping or not including www and http/https may inadvertently cause some browsers to conduct a search and lead you to unscrupulous websites posing as Roku).  You will need to use your cellphone (using data plan, not your wifi since you are disconnected) to perform any of the above if asked.

5. Use a different email address (new email address) when you set this RokuTV up.

6.  Follow the instructions above using the USB to update the Roku TV.  (If the RokuTV successfully sets up so that you are on Home Screen, you may be able to skip using the USB update and just reconnect to your network since you should now have control over your RokuTV.)

-----

Feel free to post an update or if you need more help.  If the above does not work, may need to escalate to Roku Support employees to assist you directly.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
vicia
Reel Rookie

Hi AvsGunnar,

Thanks for the suggestion, but there is no difference when resetting and updating via USB besides the code generation/validation as described in the support article. As soon as it finishes it kicks me back into Guest Mode at the same check-in/check-out date that was set before. If I had checked out prior to the reset and then update, I am stuck at the check-in sequence of Guest Mode. The TV is not able to do anything at Guest Mode check-in without internet. The only 3 options that I can select during that time which is:

-Connect to Wi-Fi

-Check-In/Check-Out (fails with a no internet message)

-Disable guest mode via 4 digit pin (fails with a no internet message)

No other option is available, can not change Source Inputs, can not watch Live TV.

I suppose I could continue using the TV in Guest Mode and set a long check-out date so it does not wipe the logged in credentials and be stuck with limited Guest Mode options. But this is not an ideal solution.

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@vicia 

There are a couple of postings in the Community about users who unexpectedly found themselves locked in Guest Mode and Factory Reset did not help.  Could just be corrupted software or error in Account info.

Will tag @RokuDanny-R , @RokuKariza-D , and @RokuMary-F so they can escalate to Support to investigate and perhaps Reset from their end.  You shouldn't have to "make-do" with a crippled RokuTV.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Mikkel99
Reel Rookie

I'm having the same problem 

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Hi @Mikkel99

Thanks for your post. 

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What are the steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing? What troubleshooting steps have you already taken to try to resolve the issue?

With more information, we will be able to assist you further.

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
Ohkibuye
Reel Rookie

I’m having the same issue. I’ve tried all solutions listed here as well and I cannot access my account, however my children can still access it from their rooms I. The same house.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Ohkibuye

Thanks for the post.

Can you please clarify the issue you are experiencing? Are you stuck in Guest Mode on a specific device in your household? Have you already tried performing a factory reset on the device to see if that helps?

For more information about how to perform a factory reset, visit our Support page here: System restart or factory reset your Roku

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Ohkibuye
Reel Rookie

It’s just one device in my house and it cannot perform the system reset as that option is not available.

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Hi Ohkibuye,

Thanks for the reply. 

We'd like to confirm. Do you have a Roku streaming player? If so, you can factory reset the device using the physical button. Follow the steps in this article on how to factory reset the device using the physical button. 

Keep us posted on how it goes.

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos