Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Snwari
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku tv screen goes black

75 inch hisense built in roku. Turned tv on. Clicked youtube app and screen went black. Sound there. Screen dark but seen with flashlight. Unplug, waited, start button and finally reset button. Used light to set back up (reset twice)and still only sound with black screen that can only be seen with flashlight. How can so many of these go out about same time for the same thing? It worked fine up until 30 minutes ago. A 75 inch! 1 and a half years young. Very disappointed. My OS lg tv much better. I have (had) 3 roku tv's (tcl, hisense, hisense) and my lg and hisense is basically done. No more built in roku tvs for me. Any other suggestions on the problem?

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Snwari,

From the Roku Community, greetings and thanks for keeping us posted!

We'll be more than delighted to assist you further with this concern. Can you please provide the following information below?

• May we know if this is happening on all channels and contents, or if it is isolated? (Specify)
  • Can you please send us a photo or video clip of your running problem?
  • When did the issue start?
  • Are your other devices able to connect to the network without any issues or latency?

With detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,                                                                                                                                              John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Ngneer55
Reel Rookie

This started happening to my Roku brand TV today, model 65R6A5R. It happens when connected to my cable box, not when streaming. When the video switches between the program and a commercial, the picture goes blank but audio continues. It's like the TV's video loses sync due to the change between the program and commercial and it doesn't recover sync. When I turn the TV off and back on, the picture comes back but goes away the next time a commercial comes on. I tried connecting the cable box to a different HDMI input but the same thing happens. The TV is less than a year old; I bought it last May. 

Ed D.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Ngneer55,

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community!

We understand you're having a problem with the Roku TV. We're happy to assist you further. Please try to restart your Roku TV by going to settings, system, power, and system restart. We'll try to see if that will be able to fix the issue.

Please keep us posted on what you find out.

Kind regards,                                                                                                                                            John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Muzishn
Reel Rookie

we all have the same problem.  Roku needs to make it right.  Won’t. Happen.

I put my TV on the curb and will NEVER buy another Roku TV.   

For THIS many people to have the same issue and they didn’t issue a recall?!??   Bad business.  Very bad business. 
They lost a customer here!

0 Kudos
KimberlyDLewis
Reel Rookie

Roku Sharp TV screen is black but still has sound

My TV recently did this too. Sound but black screen. I tried the flashlight on it and see a very faint picture. It's a 55 inch Hisense. I'm hoping this is an easy fix 

0 Kudos
KimberlyDLewis
Reel Rookie

Re: Tv screen is black but still has sound

Actually I was wrong my TV is Sharp not Hisense.

0 Kudos
Ngneer55
Reel Rookie

I have some more information on this problem which started yesterday. I have always had the brightness setting on my TV set to "Normal", but the night before last I was streaming a movie on Amazon Prime which had rather dim video, so I increased the brightness up to "Brighter". I left the brightness at that level. Today I realized that the brightness level was still at "Brighter" so I reset it back to "Normal" and, lo and behold, the problem went away. This is clearly a bug with the TV. The problem symptom is that the screen sometimes goes blank when the input video switches from the program to a commercial or from one commercial to another; the display comes back after recycling the TV's power.  The TV must be either losing sync and not recovering or, perhaps when a bright commercial suddenly comes on, the TV's video circuitry shuts itself down because it thinks it's being over-driven. As an electrical engineer with a lot of experience designing and troubleshooting video display systems, I think these are the most likely causes. In any event, this is something that Roku should be able to fix with a firmware update. This is happening on a 65 inch Roku Plus TV made by Roku, not TCL, Hisense or anyone else, so Roku owns the problem. This video blanking should not happen regardless of the TV's brightness setting.

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Tv screen is black but still has sound

Hi, @KimberlyDLewis

Extending our welcome here in the Roku Community.

We're sorry to hear about the issue you've had with your Roku TV. Regarding this matter, we recommend reaching out to Sharp's support since this is a hardware issue specifically with the screen and display. Roku TV manufacturers provide direct support with their TV models, and you'll be assisted further by contacting them at Sharp Roku TV support

We hope this will be sorted out soon.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JodiPen
Channel Surfer

Re: Black screen on two out of three TCL TVs

Two out of three of my Rokus have a black screen at the same time. What is the fix and how to prevent the one that I hardly turn on from going black too? They are all three the TCL Roku. 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.