Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TonyGee94_

Only sound, no picture, Roku TCL 55”

Jump to solution

I had my Roku TCL 55” Tv playing, when I noticed that the sound was going, but there was no picture. When I tried to turn it off/on, the TCL Roku screen comes up for a split second before going black again. I hear sounds when I press the remote but no image.
Serial # 2108NTM001455400657
Model # 55S431

i came on here and tried all the fixes (unplugging, factory reset, holding the power button, etc) and it’s still not working. 

I bought it 2 years ago, and feel like it should’ve lasted longer than this. Please help! 
-TonyGee94_

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Only sound, no picture, Roku TCL 55”

Jump to solution

Hi, @TonyGee94_

Greetings, and welcome to the Roku Community.

Thanks for letting us know about the issue you have experienced with your TCL Roku TV. With your post, it comes into view that the TCL Roku TV is showing signs of a hardware issue. For this matter, we recommend reaching out to TCL's support directly and letting them know about the issue you have encountered with their TVs.

The Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support for its TV models, as it uses Roku as the main operating system for its TVs.

For more information, you can see TCL's support contact information Contact your Roku TV manufacturer

Hoping this will be addressed soon. 

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

We appreciate your response, @Dragnet.

Thanks for providing more details on the issue you've been experiencing and the steps you took to resolve it. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

We recommend troubleshooting these steps in the suggested order (remove the affected channel > restart your Roku device > re-install the channel). Do the restart from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings System Power (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step) > System restart.

Note: These steps are crucial when performing troubleshooting.

For more detailed information, visit our Support article on how to resolve a channel playback issue.

Please keep us posted on what you find out, and we'll continue assisting you from there.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@TonyGee94_, I've probably posted this a hundred times.  If you can shine a bright light on your TV and see a picture your backlight has probably failed.  These cheap Chinese TVs seem to be prone to it.  It has nothing to do with it being a Roku TV.  Research "TCL backlight failure" and you'll find many, many people in the same boat.  Don't bother contacting TCL - they'll only tell you it's no longer under warranty and won't help.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @TonyGee94_

Greetings, and welcome to the Roku Community.

Thanks for letting us know about the issue you have experienced with your TCL Roku TV. With your post, it comes into view that the TCL Roku TV is showing signs of a hardware issue. For this matter, we recommend reaching out to TCL's support directly and letting them know about the issue you have encountered with their TVs.

The Roku TV manufacturer provides direct support for its TV models, as it uses Roku as the main operating system for its TVs.

For more information, you can see TCL's support contact information Contact your Roku TV manufacturer

Hoping this will be addressed soon. 

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Dragnet
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Having the same issue. Doesn’t happen with some shows. Have had it happen with several new shows, but can watch another without issue. 

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Dragnet,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Thanks for letting us know about your issue while streaming on your Roku device, and we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

We'd be more than happy to look into this further. For us to help you better, we will ask a set of questions to isolate the issue:

• What Roku device are you using right now? (e.g., Roku Express, Roku Streambar, Roku TV—specify TV)
  • When did you notice the issue start?
  • Are you receiving error messages or codes when accessing the channel?
  • Are there any changes in the setup or settings of your Roku device or your network provider that might cause the problem?
  • Can you specify the channels in which this issue occurred?
  • What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to resolve the issue?

With more detailed information, we'll be able to assist you further.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Dragnet
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I’m using a 70’ ONN Roku tv. I’ve done updates, unplugged and held the power button down. It stared a couple of months ago and was only happening on the prime app and not on all movies. Happened today on Hulu and Disney. Watching prime now without issue. Tell Me Lies on Hulu would start fine, after a few minutes nothing but sound. Could watch My Name is Earl on Hulu without any issues. Tried to watch behind the scenes on Disney and had the same problem. The tv is a little over 2 years old. I have not done a factory reset yet, but after researching this issue it hasn’t helped. I have two more ONN roku TVs that haven’t given me any issues, but I don’t use them near as much. This tv is just out of warranty. If this continues I’ll do a mother board swap on it. Just thought maybe there was an easier solution. 

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

We appreciate your response, @Dragnet.

Thanks for providing more details on the issue you've been experiencing and the steps you took to resolve it. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

We recommend troubleshooting these steps in the suggested order (remove the affected channel > restart your Roku device > re-install the channel). Do the restart from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings System Power (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step) > System restart.

Note: These steps are crucial when performing troubleshooting.

For more detailed information, visit our Support article on how to resolve a channel playback issue.

Please keep us posted on what you find out, and we'll continue assisting you from there.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator

Jump to solution

After following these instructions it was the restarting from the system menu that my video began to work again. Thank you!

DS

RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Successful-User,

Welcome, and thanks for posting to the Roku Community!

We appreciate you letting us know about this and are happy to hear that the issue has been resolved after following the steps above.

We express our gratitude for your patience and effort in resolving the issue.

Please let us know if there are other related issues that we can look into further.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.