Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Phill66
Channel Surfer

[OS 12.0] Roku TV connection speed reading too low

Hi all.

I have a UK Hisense R43B7120UK Roku TV running the latest OS12 software (4181-AF) and since updating to OS12 I’ve noticed that my wired and wireless connection speeds are showing too low in the Settings > Network > Check Connection option.

I have a constant and stable 50 Mbps wireless and wired connection speed from my router, and have my TV connected via an Ethernet cable.

On OS11 the speed always read as Good 52 Mbps, but since updating to OS12 the speed now only reads as Good 32 Mbps when checking in the settings.

I know that my TV is still getting a 50 Mbps connection because when I check this within the Netflix app on my TV, it shows 50 Mbps.

Is anyone else experiencing the same problem on OS12 where their connection speeds are showing much lower than they actually are?

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Re: Connection speed reading too low

Hi @Phill66

Thanks for your post. 

Have you tried restarting your Roku TV and the router and see if it improves the connectivity? You may also unplug the replug the wired cable connections to your Roku TV and on the router. 

We would recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power > System restart. And to restart your router, check the instructions from your Internet Service Provider or router vendor. In some cases, you can simply unplug it and plug it back in. 

Keep us posted on how it goes. 

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
Phill66
Channel Surfer

Hi Nimfa,

Thanks for your reply, but I think you completely misunderstood my post.

I had already tried everything you suggested before I realised that there is actually nothing wrong with my connection speed. It is just being displayed incorrectly low (30 Mbps instead of 50 Mbps) when I use the Check Connection option in the TV settings.

This was proved by using the connection speed test within the Netflix app on my TV, which displays my speed correctly at 50 Mbps.

This is obviously a bug in OS12 as my speed always used to display correctly before I updated from OS11.

0 Kudos
OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

I can verify the original posters observation about the Roku speed test is off since the upgrade to OS 12. I have 300 MB fiber optic internet. I also used to get 150 megabits down on my westinghouse Roku tv. Today, I got 89 down  from the Roku test today. Also, I got 133 down from the Netflix server today.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi @Phill66 

Thanks for the follow up regarding slow connection speed on your Roku device after updating to the latest OS 12.0.

We appreciate you providing us with the information we have requested. We have passed along your concerns and details to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further. Once more information is available, I'll be sure to update this Community thread.

Your patience and understanding in the meantime is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Re: [OS 12.0] Roku TV connection speed reading too low

I ain't face this problem. Do you still face it? It is weird.

0 Kudos