Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StevenCee
Roku Guru

Re: Let's Have a User-Friendly Live TV Channel Guide Again

Jump to solution

@westner  I have been doing that, although not with all that much luck. Sometimes it will resolve the time fairly quickly, sometimes not, And even when it does, it won't guarantee that when I go to a streaming Roku channel, the time will be correct. This means I sometimes have to scroll hours ahead in the guide, just to see what's on right now!
Plus, the default position now, when I click on the back arrow, instead of showing me the info, time, and current show, now takes it all the way to the left, to where the menu categories are, which drives me crazy!
If I forget, and just scroll up or down to see some other show options, it will whiz me to a completely different menu map! And I can't left click, then quickly go back to the show I'm currently watching, but I have to scroll back two places back to the right, to then go back to the show! It's just a lot more cumbersome and frustrating, on top of the time issue, and starting today, all my Favorites vanishing!

Navigation, which has never been a breeze, has lately felt more like being at sea, during a storm, in a small sailboat. And losing all my favorites has really set me off, as it's a royal pain and time-waster, having to re-enter every channel, individually. Especially when they may just vanish again, at any time...

0 Kudos
Hammer957
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Is there some simple way to respond to this post What hoops do I have to jump through to join this discussion.

0 Kudos
westner
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Is there some simple way to respond to this post What hoops do I have to jump through to join this discussion.

@Hammer957, I don't get it. You're participating in this discussion right now. Speak up and tell us what your beef is. Welcome to the thread.

0 Kudos
Hammer957
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Sorry, new here obviously. Frustrations with the 'Roku experience' getting the better of me Couldn't find on this site any info to join, register, or login, so just took a stab at it. Been suffering with multiple issues for months now, following several threads, only to see them 'disappear'. At least for now, this one still seems alive. Agree with many of you, navigating the guide has become painful. Bought my Tcl tv a few years ago to finally cut the cable cord and check out streaming, and pull in ota broadcasts. At first all was good, despite having to 'deep scroll' to go from an ota channel some streaming channels. Really miss that cable remote 'Prev' button. Then, one day, saw 'Favorite' category appear (along with, IMO, useless 'Recent and 'Recommended'). That helped, but added more clicking and scrolling. Agree with others here, a double left click should just send us to a category of our choosing,... All, Favorites, or whatever. Been struggling for a few weeks now with the "TV guide goes to recents....." problem, which 'may' be fixed now, but now defaults to "All". And, if I may add, without trying to hijack this thread, still unable to watch any Roku streaming channels (yet Sling, Xumo, etc. all work), ...and the pointless "continue watching" issue, ironically populated with unobtainable Roku channels I can't remember when I last watched. What a train wreck this has all become. Sorry for the rant,.......maybe someday (year) it may get better.

Kelz522
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I really would like to NOT SEE the extra column on the left before showing all channels.  This is soooo annoying and doesn’t really meet any needs. I want it gone.  #tcltv #rokutvsettings 

0 Kudos
westner
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Kelz522 I really would like to NOT SEE the extra column on the left before showing all channels. This is soooo annoying and doesn’t really meet any needs. I want it gone. #tcltv #rokutvsettings 

Maybe you didn't get the latest update. Roku rolled back their update where the Guide defaulted to 'Recents' instead of 'All Channels'.

Zonexero
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

On all my TV's it defaults over to the categories column to the 'All Channels' selection, the problem this downgrade created is now to get to the actual channels and scroll through them, you now have to hit the back-arrow to bring up the guide as usual, but now there is an extra step you have to hit the right arrow to jump over from the categories area to the actual channels to be able to scroll through the channels.  This is all extremely frustrating, I get trying to improve the user experience, but everything done so far just does not make any sense.

The easiest fix would be to have it just show the channels with the back arrow as it was originally with no categories on the far left, if you want to go to a certain category, then have that as the ' * ' function to switch to 'favorites', 'recents', 'news', or whatever, and have it then stay there until you want to change it back. Of course that would make sense so there is no way that would ever happen.  I just don't see why there is not an option to shut off the left side categories menu, there is obviously something still in the code, as sometimes when I first go to the guide, it appears as it did originally for a split second, then switches it over to add the categories to the guide.

westner
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Zonexero The easiest fix would be to have it just show the channels with the back arrow as it was originally with no categories on the far left, if you want to go to a certain category, then have that as the ' * ' function to switch to 'favorites', 'recents', 'news', or whatever, and have it then stay there until you want to change it back. Of course that would make sense so there is no way that would ever happen. I just don't see why there is not an option to shut off the left side categories menu, there is obviously something still in the code, as sometimes when I first go to the guide, it appears as it did originally for a split second, then switches it over to add the categories to the guide.

@Zonexero, You know that's not gonna happen. I guess they think we're too dumb to press an extra key to set a category. I wish they would go back to the time when, if your category was 'Favorites' when you turned off your set, that category would be active when you turned the set back on. Again, that's not gonna happen either.

0 Kudos
Zonexero
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Agreed, all easy 'fixes' but go ignored just for them to add idiotic menu/guide options that make zero sense.  It's funny to me, since Roku was primarily designed to be 'Simplistic', and now moving further and further away from that idea.   A YouTuber I watch said it best, there becomes a point where these companies get it nearly perfect, then they feel the need to keep adding things, to the point where they nearly ruin their own product (ie- Roku, Apple, Microsoft, etc.)

cwcheese
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

guys, I've been thinking about the guide interface that Roku has been flailing around with for these several years, and it strikes me that I've seen something similar. That something is Gmail. Yes Gmail. 

I've used email for a long time, before most everyone knew what email was or existed. The mailbox interface had always been a folder oriented structure whereby messages were put into distinct separate folders when organizing. Google broke that model with Gmail, which is a label model in which every email message is in an enormous heap, and what you perceive as folders is really just labels, so when you click on a label category Google has indexed the messages by the labels and you think they're in folders.

The Roku devs seem to have adopted this gmail like structure when addressing TV channels, this likely is deliberate because they want to have all channels, both OTA and their LiveTV streaming channels all available in one guide menu, like some of us saw a couple years ago during the first fiasco. The idea appears to be their desire to label the channels by various categories such as: sports, news, lifestyle, movies, comedy, etc etc et; so not making it possible to create folders makes it easy for them to relabel things in multiple ways and pretend they are distinct menus, instead of letting the user stick with one semi-permanent guide choice. The OTA guide has remained a separate item only because of the mass uprising of the community against it, otherwise I sure Roku wants to just dump all OTA local channels into the heap with their streaming channels in one monolithic guide menu and steer users to view more of their revenue generating channels.

or... maybe I'm just a conspiracy theorist... 😏

don't call me expert, just a long time Roku user that seen a lot of things
0 Kudos