Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
westner
Roku Guru

Let's Have a User-Friendly Live TV Channel Guide Again

Jump to solution

A few days ago the moderator closed a discussion thread on this topic where users were able to vent and to post some modifications they could do to cope with the inane changes Roku has been making to the Guide since August 2022.

Among the most vocal among us were @Zonexero @Moat @jacknorth @jackalope @cwcheese @StevenCee @IHiJump and many others. I hope they will return to this thread to continue the discussion.

Here is a post by @Zonexero that chronicles these changes:

Danny, this is not an issue related to a specific model as another person noted.  It affects all users who have the televisions with built-in Roku that have the "Live TV" or "Antenna Channels" app/input.  This would include ALL televisions embedded with Roku which are brands such as TCL, HiSense, Toshiba, and so forth.

October 12, 2021: The guide/app worked fine, although the antenna channels lacked any type of station icon, it was ok, as shown in my video here: https://youtu.be/skGQPMQoawo

*November 10, 2021: The guide/app had been updated, and antenna channels now had icons that reflected their network, this version, is what I believe most of us considered the 'perfect' version, there was no reason to go any further, as shown here on November 15, 2021: https://youtu.be/I3gMy7pN7uc

(In between these dates, there was also another bug where the station guide had issues with identify correct station, this bug seems to come and go every since)

August 25, 2022: An update was issue that added that faulty 'quick guide' "update", no one likes this, no one wanted this, and it's never worked properly, again on all models of these televisions, as shown here on a video I did on August 25, 2022: https://youtu.be/yv8w-gevgIE

August 29, 2022: A further update was pushed through, that removed the 'quick guide' and restored the version from November 10, 2021, once again back to the perfect guide as shown here, I think someone knew that the quick guide was faulty and rolled back the update: https://youtu.be/N8w2x5akAa0

November 2022: Another update push through that had that brought back the faulty 'quick guide', again a terrible idea, this is funny because it was rolled back, then pushed back again with no a single fix.

January 25, 2023: Updated again, this time, the antenna stations logos are altered to appear with gray boxes around them, some channels not affected, on ones that are, you can barely make out the station logo anymore since the logo has been shrunk to fit into a useless grey box that serves no purpose, this is probably the second update that really has destroyed the functionality, I plan to do a video on this soon, but was hoping it was something that would be fixed by now.

....And now....  January 30, 2023: A 'Promoted' Channel randomly appears in the antenna channels lineup that is another truly annoying and useless 'feature'

....As you can see, that is why we are all upset with the 'updates' that really have degraded our televisions and experience with Roku, I was a firm believer in Roku having recommended my family and friends to the platform, but with all these issues lately, not anymore with all noted above.

*I have six TCL Roku televisions, all from different years from 2014-2022, same issue on all of them, other friends and people on these forum using products like the HiSense Roku television all have the same problem.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Zonexero
Roku Guru

Re: Let's Have a User-Friendly Live TV Channel Guide Again

Jump to solution

Here you go Roku, it really is an easy fix to make everyone happy....

What many of us DO NOT want, left side 'quick guide'.....

SPCD8999-A@0.5x.jpg

So now we hit the * button and this it what appears....SPCD9000-A@0.5x.jpg

How about just adding this...Roku Fix-A@0.5x.jpg

And.....issue solved....

Roku Fix Done.jpg

Enough said, this is just too simple a fix!

View solution in original post

78 REPLIES 78
IHiJump
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Until I see Roku gives a rip about this, I'm done talking, and I'm done with Roku. The "moderator" (the guy who repeatedly asks for more information) appears to be a Roku employee, so it is sure they know about this and have chosen to do nothing to assuage any of our concerns or to make any changes. So... enjoy.

jackalope
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

When they closed the old thread I posted a new one pointing out that were silencing us.

That post has apparently been removed. Go figure.

I'm with Jump. Unless they do something, I am anti-Roku at this point.

Anyone I speak to, or anywhere I post, it will be nothing but bad things about Roku.

westner
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@IHiJumpand @jackalope , we all know that Roku doesn't intend to make the proper functional changes to the Guide and that sucks. Don't expect any help from Danny-R or Mary-R or from any of the other moderators - they will only gaslight you. Those changes will eventually be made when those in charge of making these changes will be forced to roll them back by their higher-ups. It only makes sound business sense. It may be a week, a month, or maybe even six months. Just have patience.

In the meantime, this thread gives us a chance to vent and to share ways to circumvent this fiasco. My 'All Channels' is populated by a select group of OTA channels and less that 30 streaming Roku channels - in a sense I've created my own permanent 'Favorites' list. Sure, it's not perfect, because Roku puts the list into those dumb "categories" once I click up past the first channel in the list. So I choose the 'Favorites' category and I'm right back at the top of my uninterrupted list.

I used to be jumping mad when these changes started happening, and I believed that if we screamed loud enough, Roku would listen. Eventually I realized that we weren't being heard, but the voices on the thread were not a waste of time. I know that I felt better each time I replied to a post. I was in awe of the users who went above and beyond by contacting Roku or by documenting the inane changes.

So keep coming back - if only to say "Hi" or that you're keeping your sanity or to share your frustrations or anger. Ripping on Roku is not discouraged until they shut down this thread too.

Zonexero
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

I am thinking they will not be rolling back any of the changes.   At this point I just want them to fix the local OTA channel icons and get rid of those gray boxes around most of them now.  I really cannot understand why they did this considering they did not change the icons on the streaming channels, which makes it pointless and more like a mistake than anything.

0 Kudos
Zonexero
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

***As of 2/13/23 @ 10:15PM, an update has just been pushed through, I actually saw my TV show it was updating something for a split second, but rather vague, the gray boxes have disappeared in the guide!  Thank You Roku! This is what it is about....well maybe, let's see if this sticks, I can see my local station icons again, those gray boxes around the icons on last update, oof, bad mistake, I still have decent vision, but what the heck, that was just bad!  But, sorry to say the 'Promoted' channel is still there and persistent as ever, my suggestion there to Roku, just get rid of it, forcing a channel someone does not want to watch in their guide is a bit obtrusive, but let's take good with the bad.! And -Everyone, please let me know if your TVs got the update, it really just happened, I guess they work late!  Now, let's see if the other elephant in the room gets fixed soon, while I do not think they will return the guide back the way it was without the 'quick guide' menu on the far left side of the screen, there is a sliver of hope here...

westner
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Zonexero, yes, my OTA channels also lost the shading around their logos. This may be the first rollback of many more to come (got my fingers crossed) but that may not happen for months.

I guess everyone noticed by now the appearance of the 'Accept as Solution' box next to the 'Reply' box. That means anyone, including Roku moderators, can end this thread without explanations. Wow!

In the meantime I've learned to live with what we've got. My 'All Channels' list contains only about 50 total 'Favorites' channels - I've "hidden" the rest. I continue hiding any new channels Roku tries to sneak into my list.

I also started using the categories on the extreme left of the menu to streamline scrolling through the channels. Let's say I want to go from channel 7 to channel 426, a cartoon channel. I pick the 'Kids & Family' category and I'm taken immediately to the only channel in that category. Why, you would ask, an eighty year-old combat veteran would watch cartoons? I have a hard time falling asleep and cartoon are better than sleeping pills to do the job.

Watch your six and don't catch the Stupid.

westner
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Zonexero wrote:

I am thinking they will not be rolling back any of the changes.   At this point I just want them to fix the local OTA channel icons and get rid of those gray boxes around most of them now.  I really cannot understand why they did this considering they did not change the icons on the streaming channels, which makes it pointless and more like a mistake than anything.

Your wish came true only a day later. You could have wished for a few more rollbacks while you were at it.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@westner 

Only you as the first poster in this thread sees "Accept as Solution" by each response in this thread. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Zonexero
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@westner Yes! That was a nice surprise, let's see if it sticks!  I have a feeling they are working on something.  I really do not think they are going to drop the quick guide at this point, but I am sure they are looking at possible fixes or a solution that will make all users happy.  Like you said it may take a while.

Let's keep in mind other companies change their firmware constantly without users approval, last update on my Iphone added an annoying feature that cannot be shut off, which goes to show you it is happening with most electronics and computer companies now. 

I am still puzzled with the 'Promoted' channel that pops in, in reality they can track viewing habits, so you would think it would at least suggest a channel based on your interests and viewing habits.  Not to mention it is a bit redundant considering there is a 'Recommended' category in the quick guide which is basically the same thing.