Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
batesd
Reel Rookie

Do you still need cable with Roku?

Jump to solution

I'm considering getting a Roku TV. I currently have cable. I watch shows on ABC and it makes me link my TV provider. Will I be able to watch shows on ABC (not live TV) if I get a Roku TV and cancel my cable subscription?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Do you still need cable with Roku?

Jump to solution

Hello! @batesd,

We're thrilled to have you join us here in the Roku Community!

Thank you for contacting us with your inquiry. We are happy to help you and provide any assistance you may need.

Once you purchase your Roku device, there are no additional equipment fees and there are no monthly fees for watching free channels. You’ll only pay for subscriptions to apps like Netflix, cable-replacement services like Sling TV, or movie and TV show rentals from services like Prime Video or Apple TV. You’ll be able to watch free or paid entertainment from services like Netflix, Prime Video, The Roku Channel, and more. And there are thousands more apps for sports, news, international, and kids, including broadcast channels like ABC, CBS, and NBC.

If you pay for cable, there are no additional charges to watch many cable or satellite channels on your Roku device. You can even download your cable provider’s app and use your Roku device as a second cable box. 

Please feel free to let us know if you need any additional assistance!

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

@batesd 

There channels that require a cable subscription to use like Watch TCM, Max, MGM+. If you drop  cable anything that you now use your cable TV credentials to activate will no longer work. In other words if you wanted MAX or MGM+ without cable you'd have to pay to subscribe, As for watch TCM I don't think you can get that unless you subscribe to TCM somewhere be that cable TV or some other streaming service.

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @dolmarc21

Thanks for posting to the Roku Community!

We understand you are inquiring about paying a subscription if you have a Roku device.

Yes, you'll still need to pay for DIRECTV if you have Roku, but you can use the DIRECTV app to stream on Roku devices.

The DIRECTV app is included with a DIRECTV subscription and can be accessed on Roku with an internet connection and your DIRECTV username and password.

To add DIRECTV to Roku, you can:

1. Select Home
  2. Select Streaming Channels
  3. Select DIRECTV
  4. Select Add Channel
  5. Enter your Roku PIN if prompted

Please be advised that Roku devices don't have monthly fees for watching free channels, like The Roku Channel, which offers over 350 live TV channels. You can also pause and restart subscriptions on Roku devices, so you only pay for what you watch.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please let us know.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello! @batesd,

We're thrilled to have you join us here in the Roku Community!

Thank you for contacting us with your inquiry. We are happy to help you and provide any assistance you may need.

Once you purchase your Roku device, there are no additional equipment fees and there are no monthly fees for watching free channels. You’ll only pay for subscriptions to apps like Netflix, cable-replacement services like Sling TV, or movie and TV show rentals from services like Prime Video or Apple TV. You’ll be able to watch free or paid entertainment from services like Netflix, Prime Video, The Roku Channel, and more. And there are thousands more apps for sports, news, international, and kids, including broadcast channels like ABC, CBS, and NBC.

If you pay for cable, there are no additional charges to watch many cable or satellite channels on your Roku device. You can even download your cable provider’s app and use your Roku device as a second cable box. 

Please feel free to let us know if you need any additional assistance!

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
batesd
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks for all the info. Just to clarify, when you say "including broadcast channels like ABC, CBS, and NBC", is that only LIVE broadcasts?

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Thanks for keeping us posted, @batesd

Live TV channels are available on Roku. This includes the news channels that you have mentioned and many more. For more information, you can refer to this link Watch Live TV on Roku Devices

If there's anything we can do to assist you further, let us know.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
batesd
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I'm sorry but I was asking if you need cable to watch shows that are NOT live.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

@batesd 

There channels that require a cable subscription to use like Watch TCM, Max, MGM+. If you drop  cable anything that you now use your cable TV credentials to activate will no longer work. In other words if you wanted MAX or MGM+ without cable you'd have to pay to subscribe, As for watch TCM I don't think you can get that unless you subscribe to TCM somewhere be that cable TV or some other streaming service.

0 Kudos
dolmarc21

Jump to solution

If I have DIRECTV, do I still have to be paying then if I had Roku

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @dolmarc21

Thanks for posting to the Roku Community!

We understand you are inquiring about paying a subscription if you have a Roku device.

Yes, you'll still need to pay for DIRECTV if you have Roku, but you can use the DIRECTV app to stream on Roku devices.

The DIRECTV app is included with a DIRECTV subscription and can be accessed on Roku with an internet connection and your DIRECTV username and password.

To add DIRECTV to Roku, you can:

1. Select Home
  2. Select Streaming Channels
  3. Select DIRECTV
  4. Select Add Channel
  5. Enter your Roku PIN if prompted

Please be advised that Roku devices don't have monthly fees for watching free channels, like The Roku Channel, which offers over 350 live TV channels. You can also pause and restart subscriptions on Roku devices, so you only pay for what you watch.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please let us know.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.