Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Leerblais
Channel Surfer

Black screen with sound, only with paid channels and new movies or shows

I pay for Max, Disney + and Prime. When I watch a new movie or TV series my screen will go black and only have sound, but I however can watch old movies and tv shows from the 90s or before without issues. All of my free channels work fine and I can rent new movies from like redbox with no issues. I've gone through all of the trouble shooting through roku and the 3 applications, nothing has worked. Any one have any suggestions? 

20 REPLIES 20
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Black screen with sound, only with paid channels and new movies or shows

Welcome, and thank you for posting here at the Roku Community, @Leerblais!

Thanks for reaching out regarding this matter. No worries. We'd be more than happy to find you the best resolution possible.

May we first know what specific troubleshooting procedures you have taken to try and fix the playback issues you've been experiencing? Have you tried to check for any app updates on those mentioned above? You can update it by highlighting the app by pressing the star* button on your remote. In addition, try to check for software updates on your TV by going to Settings > System >  System update > Check Now

Furthermore, may we know where you purchased your subscription? Is it under Roku or directly from the app? 

The best course of action will be suggested once we have a better understanding of the situation. We'll be anticipating your response!

Kind regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Leerblais
Channel Surfer

Done all of troubleshooting more than a few times. I've done it over the phone with roku, Disney plus, Max and prime. It's definitely not a issue with my equipment lol because it's only with the channels I pay for and only new movies or app specific shows made for just that app. 

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Leerblais,

Thank you for the reply here in the Roku Community!
We appreciate the effort put into performing the troubleshooting steps. No worries! We will be delighted to assist you further, but we will need to gather more information. When did the issue start? Do you have cellular data, so we can try connecting your device to your hotspot and see if that is able to fix the issue?

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Snodgrass3
Channel Surfer

I have the exact same problem.  Recently added peacock and it does the same thing too. Any new release movie or rental goes black.  Amazon prime and Disney also.

0 Kudos
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Snodgrass3,

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Since multiple channels were affected by this issue, the network could be a factor. That being said, have you tried the following?

• Rebooting your router
  • Connecting your Roku device to a mobile hotspot is just to check if the issue will persist.
  • Updating the channel
  • performing a system restart through the settings

Please keep us updated.

Regards,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Leerblais
Channel Surfer

Don't bother trying what Roku recommended. I've done it and it has no results. I have 2 other roku devices on the same network and they work fine. Separation of the troubled roku from the network did not change anything except for waste of time and effort. However roku will be fine accepting your payments for none use 

0 Kudos
Snodgrass3
Channel Surfer

Yeah I feel like it's a fault with the TV.  I have other Roku devices that work fine here also.  I also want to note that once it blacks out I have to turn the TV off and on 10 to 15 times to get a picture again.

0 Kudos
Leerblais
Channel Surfer

Can't be the tv lol. The movie that won't play on the pay channels will work on the free ones. On the same TV. Lol that's how I've been getting around the situation. 

0 Kudos
Snodgrass3
Channel Surfer

Then can you explain why I can't get a picture back at all without powering off the TV not just exiting the paid channel

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.