Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jdutton
Reel Rookie

Re: How can I Stream longer than 4 hours

Jump to solution

Let me ask the "community" then, anyone having this problem with the Dog TV app?  Their service is designed to be played over a long term for my pet - while I'm away from home at work, for example.  I can't imagine they would put anything in place that would shut it down after a pre-determined amount of time.

I don't have this problem with Dog TV using Chromecast.  It will keep playing until I get back home from work, but I would rather this work on my Roku, as it's easier to use than the Chromecast.

I do have a message out to Dog TV asking if they have limitations built into their app.  I'll report back here with what I learn.

In the meantime, any Dog TV users on here having this issue with bandwidth saver turned off?

Thanks

0 Kudos
boogernose
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

So Obviously you need to turn the bandwidth saver off and do

Settings/ System/ system restart

and anyone with sense will see this works. 10-4

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
KMiler
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

He already did that, which you would know had you read further up the thread. There is no reason to insult people. It certainly isn't helpful.

Meodee
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@boogernoseNo “sense” needed it does not work PERIOD It may stream for more than 4 hours sometimes. 

0 Kudos
Meodee
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

@KMilerin the beginning of this thread they asked for a code to report to correct this. It was never corrected and ROKU Admin's deleted their comments. I just went through this whole thread. I bought Amazon Fire due to this issue that they never corrected. I loved my ROKU but it was not to be. Don't pay attention to @boogernose he thinks everyone one is stupid.

kaldoon

Jump to solution

Turned off Bandwidth Saver - does not seem to work - still asking if I am watching Roku Ultra - latest software

0 Kudos
hdelgado134
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Turning off bandwidth saver will not work for this issue.  I have been asking the same question for a long time without any accurate responses or solutions. I wish Roku would pay attention and address this as I am at the point of choosing another platform. I have updated software, removed Fox app, rebooted and reinstalled the Fox news app and it continues to happen. I work from home and like to have Fox News in the background all day. It stops approximately every 3 to 4 hours asking "are you still watching". Obviously, Fox has no way of knowing whether you are streaming or not, so, this is a Roku issue which they are choosing to keep quiet. If anyone who reads this has a solution (please don't tell me it is Fox or to delete and install the app), I would appreciate any input. By the way, I have used CNN, ABC, NBC in the background all day without any interruptions.

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Actually, yes Fox can tell if you've been streaming continuously for that length of time, so it's entirely possible that message is from the Fox channel, not the Roku OS. I know Pandora does it with their music streaming service, so it's certainly possible that Fox is doing it as well. And if that's the case you'll see the same warning on a different brand of player as well. 

The fact you've not seen the same message on other channels points even more at it being the Fox News channel that is sending the alert message. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
hdelgado134
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I do not agree with your premise. Fox provides a feed to Roku to distribute based on subscription to the  service. When you click "yes" or "ok" to let Roku know you are still watching, it does not send a unique message back to Fox from your home. It probably sends a signal to Roku so it can continue streaming the service to your set. This is probably part of the metering agreement between Roku and Fox. I know they probably not interested in changing this, but all I am asking is for them to explain the reason for the issue so we can all stop deleting and re-installing apps and rebooting. As a matter of fact, if you frequently manipulate the volume on the remote control, the "are you still watching" message does not appear. Obviously Roku can figure out that if you change the volume you are watching. Or, do you think the volume commands are going back to Fox to let them know they are too loud?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

No, Fox is not providing the feed to Roku. They are streaming directly to your player. It doesn't go though anything Roku controls.

Now if it's something you're watching through The Roku Channel, then I would agree with you that it's being streamed through something Roku controls. But I just did a quick peek at TRC, and I didn't see Fox News on it.

The volume adjustments are not going back to Fox themselves. It's all being done within the channel itself, so yes it would know if you've touched a button on the remote. It's all done on your player within the channel you're watching. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.