Discussions

Is your Roku TV not working? Join our online community forum to find help with common Roku TV issues, get troubleshooting tips, and share your experiences.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bryank59
Streaming Star

Allow Access to External Media Prompt (pic)

Why does this prompt show up every time I turn on my TV.
It started doing this about a month ago.
Before then I would just go to the Roku/Media Player and play a file ....simple.
Now this prompt shows up every time I turn the TV on.
...and when I click on "Allow" it takes me straight into the player ....???
Even if that's not where I was going.
It didn't used to do that either.
Before this I would choose "Allow" and it would just go back to the main screen.

IMG_20231216_091649.jpg

TCL TV Info.jpg

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Allow Access to External Media

Hi @bryank59,

Thanks for reaching out to us here in the Roku Community!

Have you tried restarting your Roku device to see if it helps? We recommend doing this from the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power > System restart. (If you do not see the Power submenu, skip to the next step.)

Please let us know how it goes.

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
bryank59
Streaming Star

You're not understanding.

The prompt appears when you start up the Roku TV, so how would restarting it help?

It's the Roku Media Player asking me to allow it to access my hard drive that I have attached to the USB port of the TV.

If you select "allow", it allows the Media Player to access to the external hard drive.
If you select "Do not allow" it shuts off access to the external hard drive.

The prompt shows up on the main Roku home screen.
Also if you choose "allow" it will take you right to the Media Player even though I never clicked on the Media Player app tile.

The prompt shows up on both my Phillips and TCL Roku TV's
Problem is, the prompt doesn't show up every time, just every now and then and only when the TV/Unit is first turned/powered on when the Home screen appears.

It started doing this about a month ago when it never used to do this at all, ....why?

0 Kudos
bryank59
Streaming Star

I'm also wondering why I have to explain everything over again to a tech every time I post on here when the problem(s) I'm talking about is clearly stated in my original post with photos even?

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @bryank59,

Thank you for keeping us posted here in the Roku Community!
We'd like to take a closer look into this issue that you're having with the Roku media player popping up on your TV screen. What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far? When did the issue start?

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos