Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cobranut
Binge Watcher

Youtube on Roku no longer allows playback speed adjustment like on a browser.

Jump to solution

Anyone ever figure out how to fix the playback speed issue with Youtube?
It works fine on my laptop, but the option doesn't even appear on my Roku Ultra. 😞

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Antarza
Reel Rookie

Re: Youtube on Roku no longer allows playback speed adjustment like on a browser.

Jump to solution

I feel your frustration.  When I first got my Roku TV, I was able to speed up and slow down Youtube videos.  I have tried everything, resetting, restarting, removing the Youtube app and downloading it again, etc.  Nothing works.  Now that I'm thinking of getting a new TV for my bedroom, I will NOT get a Roku.  I will go with Amazon Fire or something else.  I got so used to having the playback speed control feature that I'm going to want it in my new TV.

View solution in original post

Cobranut
Binge Watcher

Re: Youtube on Roku no longer allows playback speed adjustment like on a browser.

Jump to solution

This is disappointing.
I like many Roko features, but if this isn't resolved, I'm going elsewhere for my next purchase.
Thanks

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
20 REPLIES 20
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Cobranut,

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We're sorry to hear about the issue you've experienced with the YouTube playback speed feature. Please be informed that channels on the Roku platform are designed and maintained by the channel providers. Contacting YouTube directly and inquiring further about the issue to be addressed is recommended. Roku has no control over how an individual channel functions within the channel's user interface.

Kindly refer to this link for Youtube support's contact information: Youtube Help

If you have any other questions or concerns, please let us know.

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Antarza
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I feel your frustration.  When I first got my Roku TV, I was able to speed up and slow down Youtube videos.  I have tried everything, resetting, restarting, removing the Youtube app and downloading it again, etc.  Nothing works.  Now that I'm thinking of getting a new TV for my bedroom, I will NOT get a Roku.  I will go with Amazon Fire or something else.  I got so used to having the playback speed control feature that I'm going to want it in my new TV.

Cobranut
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

This is disappointing.
I like many Roko features, but if this isn't resolved, I'm going elsewhere for my next purchase.
Thanks

0 Kudos
BlueGiant
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Bump.  This is basic functionality, get your act together google.

RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @BlueGiant,

We understand that you are having issues with the playback speed feature on your YouTube app.

With an app or channel's functionality, we recommend that you reach out to YouTube's support directly, as they may be able to assist you and provide sufficient information about their app on the Roku platform.

Let us know what you find out.

Regards,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
BlueGiant
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I will do that, but I think it would be very helpful for Roku to reach out to Google as well and inform them that their users are very dissatisfied that the video speed control was removed.

From a Roku perspective, the loss of this functionality puts your platform at a distinct disadvantage and I would assume that Roku would be motivated to address this issue with Google directly and not place the onus on your users to do so.

Please pass this request on to whoever in your organization manages the relationship with Google.

Thanks.

RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @BlueGiant,

Thank you for keeping us posted here in the Roku Community!
Please be advised that channels on Roku are maintained by the channel developers themselves. In this case, there's likely an issue within that specific channel that needs to be addressed with an update from them.

If there's anything else that we can do to assist you, please let us know.

Best regards,

John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
BlueGiant
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

John,

You keep asking me if there’s anything you can do to help, there definitely is.  

In your organization there is someone who manages the relationship with Google.  That person has way more influence with them than I do.  Please ask that person to contact Google and tell them that Roku users are very disappointed that the playback speed function has been removed.

Yes, the channel developers have ultimate responsibility, but they obviously work with your organization to coordinate functionality.

Please do not push this back on us.  Please find out who in your organization manages the relationship with Google and pass this request onto them.

Thanks.

BlueGiant
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Absolutely, YouTube is the main app I use and losing this functionality means I won’t be using the Roku platform going forward.

Even worse, the Roku moderators are telling us to contact Google ourselves.  Obviously there’s a person in the Roku organization who interfaces with Google and that’s the right channel to address this issue.

Cmon Roku, work this out with Google, it’s a big deal.