Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuJanadeeK
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Vudu won’t play purchased content

We appreciate the follow-up, @Qntgeek.

Rest assured, we have collected and forwarded the following details to the appropriate Roku team for review and further investigation. We appreciate your patience and understanding in the meantime. Should an update be available for this concern, we'll promptly let this thread know.

Let us know if you have further inquiries regarding this.

All the best,
Janadee

Nadee K.
Roku Community Moderator
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @Qntgeek.

May we know what specific content are you trying to stream? This will help us replicate the issue you are currently experiencing. 

Could you also try to log out of your subscription account through Vudu? Remove the channel by navigating to the channel tile on the Roku home screen, pressing the * key on your remote, and choosing "Remove channel." After doing so, try restarting your device from Settings > System > System Restart. After your Roku device restarts, visit the Roku channel store, add the channel again, and log into your Vudu account.

Let's see if this will allow you to access your purchased content again. Keep us posted on how it goes!

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Qntgeek
Channel Surfer

The movie Shrek is one great example of a purchased movie that won’t stream.

I have logged out and logged in multiple times, and done the oft cited uninstall, reboot, reinstall a couple times and even done a full factory reset, as I stated earlier. It still doesn’t work.

0 Kudos
RokuElmer-H
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thank you for the quick response, @Qntgeek!

We want to assure you that we have received the details you provided and have forwarded them to the appropriate team at Roku for further investigation and review. We appreciate your patience while we work to resolve this issue. We will keep you informed if there are any updates on this matter.

Don't hesitate if you have further inquiries or any concerns requiring our attention.

Best regards,
Elmer

Elmer H.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @Qntgeek.

We've been notified of updates from the team and they are currently in the process of replicating your concern. Allow us to confirm, can you stream other shows on Vudu without any issues? Or is it just the purchased content that seems to be causing problems?

Once again, your patience and understanding are highly appreciated as we work on this. We'll be looking forward to your update. 

Thanks,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Qntgeek
Channel Surfer

Ads play fine, but things that are “free with ads” have the same error once the ad is finished playing.

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for confirming, @Qntgeek.

Please be aware that the team is currently in the process of investigating this matter and finding you the best resolution possible. 

We'll let you know when we've been notified of updates.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Qntgeek
Channel Surfer

Hi, just checking back in on this. Still having the issue on my end.

0 Kudos
RokuJharra-Q
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for the follow-up, @Qntgeek!

As we checked here, we could not replicate the issue reported on a Roku 4K stick. It seems that the free movies are working fine on our end. Therefore, it is possible that the issue is account-based. We highly suggest that you access vudu.com and check your settings to see if there is anything that could be causing the problem and if any settings could be blocking the free movies.

We would recommend trying to see if that resolves your issue. Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Jharra

Jharra Q.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@Qntgeek wrote:

When all else fails, blame someone else.

Vudu works everywhere else in my home, just not the Roku. Passing the buck to them is not taking ownership of the problem demonstrated on your product. You are passing off customer satisfaction to another company. That’s not a great strategy.

This problem has nothing to do with Roku. They aren't passing the buck, they are telling you that Vudu has to fix a problem with their app/channel. It doesn't matter if it works on a different device, because the Roku platform uses a different operating system than other platforms and apps are written in a completely different programming language. Roku is not responsible for 3rd party apps, and problems can only be resolved by the app provider (in this case Vudu). 

Since several have reported issues with Vudu (now of course labeled "Fandango at Home"), I fired it up on my Ultra 4800. I have Vudu linked to my Movies Anywhere account, so I have a number of titles I have purchased available for streaming. The first title I tried was Close Encounters of the Third Kind. I have that in 4K, and it's playing fine in 4K/Dolby Vision.

Since someone reported an issue with a Free with Ads movie, I selected The Searchers with John Wayne. The first ad played, and now the movie is playing without a problem. 

What does this prove? That Vudu has a problem with their app on only some Roku devices. That means their programmer has made a mistake somewhere when programming for the different models of Roku that are available. When checking the Vudu support site for supported players, they simply list Roku as a supported device, without specifying a specific model that is/is not supported. I have trouble believing that they still support every since Roku device ever built. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos