Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WIseyD
Channel Surfer

Unable to disable Amazon Prime auto playback of movie trailers when browsing catalog.

Jump to solution

This is only happening on one of the Rokus, the other still has the old interface, the affected Roku appears to have an updated version of the Amazon Prime video app. The menu in the left side bar has changed, and there doesn't appear to be a way to disable the auto playback of movie trailers when browsing the catalog.

As you move across the titles, the screen will flicker, go black for a second, then the movie will start playing, its a second or two for every movie title you move over. Its made the app almost impossible to use, you stop for a quick second to read what the show is about and the whole screen goes black, you have to wait for it to refresh then the video starts playing (hopefully the volume is down and it isn't violent or scary while there are children about).

Within my account settings on the website, I have auto play off for TV shows (Start the next available video automatically. For TV shows, when you finish an episode, the next one starts) AND I have auto play off for trailers (automatically play trailers as you browse the catalog with a web browser or in the Windows app).

I've even gone so far as doing a factory reset of the Roku. It's looking like I'm going to have to get rid of the Roku all together if there is no way to turn this off. I watch a lot of Prime and the app is completely un-usable with this enabled. Who thought this 'feature' was a good idea?  I'm hoping there is a setting somewhere to turn this off or a way to stop this "improved" version of the Prime Video app from installing.

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: How to fix auto-play issues on Roku?

Jump to solution

Hi @sarahthompson,

We appreciate you flagging us about this auto-play issue with the updated Amazon Prime Video channel. 

Here are a few things to take note of if you're seeing videos automatically playing.

• Change the setting on each device: The auto-play video settings only apply to the device you are currently using. You must update the setting on each device you own.
  • Check app settings: Roku will make your auto-play preference available to third-party apps, but some apps may have their own auto-play setting. If you are in an app, videos still automatically start playing as you navigate; check the app you're in to see whether they have a setting to control auto-play videos.

However, this is likely a channel issue since this is not affecting the rest of the channels. We would recommend you to report this with the channel provider for additional help.

You can contact them here: Prime Video: Help.

We hope this wraps up your case.

Thanks,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
WIseyD
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

This is only an issue on the ROKU. 

Same app, version and build on Xbox has the autoplay option available in the side menu between 'language' and 'buying' allowing you to toggle on/off trailers, previews and live events. 

The menu doesn't appear on the ROKU.

Side menu in App on Roku - no auto play option 

Side menu same App on Xbox - auto play option available 

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
WIseyD
Channel Surfer

Re: Unable to disable Amazon Prime auto playback of movie trailers when browsing catalog.

Jump to solution

Interesting development, now the app has no sound.

Just the Amazon Prime Video app. 

Version 15.1 build 2024062815

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Unable to disable Amazon Prime auto playback of movie trailers when browsing catalog.

Jump to solution

See if this helps:

How to change the auto-play video setting on your Roku streaming device | Official Roku Support

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
WIseyD
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

The issue with the sound seems to have resolved itself, possibly due to restarting the device, other issue remains. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@WIseyD 

May just be the Prime channel on that particular device.

I have the same build you mentioned on an Ultra 4660 and after choosing a profile can go to the left side menu (press left arrow) and a Settings (and gear icon) will appear.  There is an "autoplay" section between "language" and "buying" that you can toggle on/off for trailers, previews, and live events.

v.15.1 build 2024062815

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
WIseyD
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

The same app (same build and version) on Xbox series X, it has the "auto play" section. Funny though, when first launched and when initially on the "Home" tab it isn't there, but if I select the "Movies" tab across the top and then look in the Settings it shows up and remains there afterwards regardless of the tab. Guessing this is a bug.

On the same app (same build and version) on the Roku, the "auto play" section isn't there at all and it doesn't show up when selecting different tabs across the top (Home, Movies, Tv Shows, etc.). Actually it appears to 'default' to the "Home" tab when you select settings. 

0 Kudos
sarahthompson
Reel Rookie

How to fix auto-play issues on Roku?

Jump to solution

How can I disable the auto-play feature and fix the flickering issue in the updated Amazon Prime Video app on Roku? I’ve checked my account settings and have auto-play off for trailers and TV shows, but the problem persists. Is there a solution similar to the way Amazon SOP libraries manage app features, or can Swiftstart.com offer any guidance on resolving this issue?

0 Kudos
Eserim2
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Same issue here - screen changes output when preview kicks in, causing a re-negotiation of HDMI - in effect black screen for a second

Roku Express 4k model 3940EU  App version 15.1 build 2024062815 - 'Check for updates'  says I am up to date

No options between language and Buying to switch it off

Ahoying!

0 Kudos
Eserim2
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

A short term work around is to disable frame rate matching in Advanced setting on the actual Roku.

This works because the screen black/flicker is caused because the previews are often at different frame rate - this causes a re-negotiation (I believe this is the term) between the Roku and your AV kit.  I see this as a black screen for a few seconds along with a footer saying what screen resolution and refresh rate it is now set to - this is how I realized that setting the refresh matching off in the Roku settings would improve things

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @sarahthompson,

We appreciate you flagging us about this auto-play issue with the updated Amazon Prime Video channel. 

Here are a few things to take note of if you're seeing videos automatically playing.

• Change the setting on each device: The auto-play video settings only apply to the device you are currently using. You must update the setting on each device you own.
  • Check app settings: Roku will make your auto-play preference available to third-party apps, but some apps may have their own auto-play setting. If you are in an app, videos still automatically start playing as you navigate; check the app you're in to see whether they have a setting to control auto-play videos.

However, this is likely a channel issue since this is not affecting the rest of the channels. We would recommend you to report this with the channel provider for additional help.

You can contact them here: Prime Video: Help.

We hope this wraps up your case.

Thanks,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.