Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CarlosMT
Reel Rookie

Roku app not working correctly -- cycles at 99% after any program -- requires tv restart to fix

I have a TCL Roku TV that works well with every streaming app except the Roku streaming app. After watching any program via the Roku app, the app cycles at 99% perpetually when I select another program to view/ stream. If I switch over to any other app, they too are now stuck cycling. The workaround is a System Restart, but this does not fix anything as the underlying problem comes back upon any usage of the Roku app. THE ROKU APP IS THE ONLY APP THAT CAUSES THIS TO HAPPEN ON MY ROKU TV. All the other apps on my Roku TV cleanly enter and leave apps/ programs/ streams correctly and in any order. There is something that the ROKU APP does to the underlying Roku System that affects all other apps until one does a System Restart. THE ROKU APP IS BUGGY or touches something in the underlying Roku System that makes it buggy from that point on. Again, all other apps work fine and in any order until usage of the Roku app.

Thinking out of the box. Perhaps the Roku app has some unique access to the underlying Roku System that other apps do not. Or perhaps the Roku app is not allowing the underlying Roku System to cleanup Roku app resource usage. Whatever it is, it causes the Roku System to become unstable/ broken. If true, the guidance, the limits and the testing Roku requires of other app developers also needs to be adhered to by the Roku app developers -- what is good for the geese should be good for the gander. 

17 REPLIES 17
bradtvx
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku app not working correctly -- cycles at 99% after any program -- requires tv restart to fix

Same issue. I have been working with support. Not resolved yet. Have to get past all the "is it plugged in?" questions first. For me, the issue seems to start after browsing/previewing ROKU shows/Live TV etc. Very annoying. They might as well put a RESTART button on the remote.
bradtvx
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku app not working correctly -- cycles at 99% after any program -- requires tv restart to fix

TV was serviced with new main board and WIFI board.  The issue continues.

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @CarlosMT @bradtvx,

From the Roku Community, welcome and thanks for keeping us posted!

We'd love to investigate evermore about the issue that you're having with the Roku channel. Can you please provide the following information below?

• Could you elaborate on the troubleshooting steps that you have taken so far?
  • Is this the only channel that you're having issues with?

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks,                                                                                                                                              John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
bradtvx
Channel Surfer

Right.  And it's like "cache" or something.  It's like you were saying, resources being utilized are not initializing correctly.

0 Kudos
CarlosMT
Reel Rookie

The Roku app is the only app that causes the problem. When watching any movie or series and upon exiting the movie or series I can't go back to watching any movie or any series -- the app cycles at 99%. If I try to switch to any other apps, they too are now stuck.

When watching any movie or series in ANY other app and upon exiting the movie or series I can go and watch ANY movie or any series -- the other apps are well behaved. If I switch to ANY other apps, they too are behaving correctly. The moment I switch to the Roku app and watch anything, then from that point on everything becomes stuck.

It took me dozens of random tries to figure out this behavior pattern. At first I considered a hardware problem. But it became clear that the problem is the Roku app.

RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thanks for the follow-up information, @CarlosMT 

In order to effectively resolve the issue at hand, we recommend that you follow the below mentioned steps as an additional troubleshooting measure. These steps have been devised to provide you with a clear and concise plan of action to help you resolve the issue. Please make sure to follow each step carefully and thoroughly to ensure the best possible outcome.

1. Navigate to the channel tile on the Roku home screen, press the star (*) key on your remote, and choose "Remove channel".
  2. Next, restart your device from Settings > System > Power > System Restart (If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step).
  3. Once your player/TV starts up again, go to "Streaming Store" on the Home screen, and add the channel back once more.
  4. You may also refer to this link: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Official Roku Support

Once performed, kindly check the channel once again to see if it improves the current situation.

Keep us posted on what you find out.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
stuckintheinbet
Channel Surfer

This has been an issue for a year or so now. Like you said, it's the only app it happens with. But once it happens with the Roku app, it happens with other apps. Only unplugging the TV for 10-15 seconds fixes it, but it'll come right back after messing around with the Roku app for any amount of time (scrolling, clicking on movies, etc). I can't believe this still hasn't been fixed. Get it together, Roku. 

RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, @stuckintheinbet 

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community.

We appreciate you for sharing with us the issue you've experienced on The Roku Channel, and we're sorry for the inconvencience this has caused. We have noted this information and would like to investigate further. For us to proceed in that action, certain details are needed by our team. Can you please provide the following information below:

• When did this issue first start occurring?
  • Was there a software update?
  • Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version. (These can all be found in Settings > System > About).
  • What channel and what version/build is the channel that is having the issue? (This can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button).
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs. (When you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID).

Once we have this information, we'll be able to forward it to the appropriate Roku team for further investigation.

Your response would be much appreciated.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
pipi
Reel Rookie

Roku App stops at 99% on Roku TV, affects other apps from streaming

I also own a 4-month-old TCL TV with Roku with the latest software update.  I have the exact same problem as well. When I try to watch a TV show on the Roku Channel, the app repeatedly keeps spinning at 99% and gets stuck.  I power the TV off and then on again, and when I attempt to watch on Roku, it happens ago 

I then attempted to watch any other show on every channel, and I got a hiccup on those channels; the other channels just flashed off quickly, then back on, and then the screen goes completely black. The TV goes dark, which is scary. Nothing else can stream.

I tried for a couple of hours to fix it, but finally found this string and know I am far from alone with the problem. I unplugged the TV and the channels work but something is wrong with the software. I now get the spinning wheel before a show and the channel hiccup. 

It's clearly a well know internal technical software bug/issue, I found other older online forums where people actually not only continually reset their TVs but someone even changed out their hardware to no avail.  It's frustrating to not being able access the ROKU Channel when I spent considerable energy hunting down a Roku TV,  Have been a loyal Roku customer and big fan since 2012.

Can you please help?

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.