Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku app not available on my Samsung smart TV

Jump to solution

@oktryitnow wrote:

So you plug in a Roku device to a HDMI port of your smart TV with it's version of ROKU built in Tizen OS?

Do you get to add channels such as CNN, BBC, NHK, France 24 news on such a device?

No, the TV's OS has nothing to do with the Roku functionality. When you connect something to an HDMI port, you're simply using the TV display for whatever device you've connected. The Roku OS and Tizien OS have nothing to do with each other, and there will be no Roku app appear on the TV. It's no different than connecting a Blu Ray player to the TV. 

Roku had thousands of possible channels. Some are only available in certain countries, some are free while others require a subscription. But they all appear on the Roku home page, not the Tizen Smart Hub screen. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
oktryitnow
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

The Tizen version of ROKU is completely different than the ROKU app I can run from my computer.

The Tizen version of ROKU loaded into my Samsung TV does NOT allow me to add channels for NHK, CNN, France 24, and other news.

The Windows computer ROKU app DOES allow me to add these channels. 

Therefore, there is a different functionality and level of control based on the OS under which ROKU runs.

I am still stuck.   I cannot run these channels either on my Windows PC or my Samsung Tizen.

0 Kudos
oktryitnow
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

My goal is to add channels that work.  

Can I add channels for CNN, BBC, France 24, NHK from the ROKU stick that work?

My current situation is I cannot add channels from Samsung TV.   If I add channels from Windows PC, they don't actually work on the PC.   They're in some kind of holding pen where they are installed somewhere, but do not run from the PC or show up on my Samsung TV ROKU, even though it is supposed to be logged in to the same account I used on the PC.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

OK, I believe you are talking about The Roku Channel, not a Roku player. I had heard that it was available on other devices. The Roku App on your computer is not the same thing as the app on the phone. The app is for controlling a specific Roku device, and has some limited functionality with your Roku account. Anything you are doing with the app on the computer has no bearing on app on your TV. Completely different functionality. The app on your computer is adding those channels to your Roku account, and will appear on any Roku devices registered to that account. The Roku Channel on your TV doesn't access the channels that are available on a Roku device, although it does permit subscribing to some content through it.

If I'm still misunderstanding what you are trying to do, please let me know. 

Dan

0 Kudos
oktryitnow
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

My Samsung / Tizen OS runs what they call an APPLICATION for ROKU.

I can add that app, then pick some channels within that ROKU app on the Samsung TV.

I can login to an account on that app on my Samsung TV.

It does not see anything like what I see when I login to the ROKU web page on my Windows computer.

The Samsung TV ROKU app offers a few channels.   Not a lot.

The Windows computer ROKU web page allows login to the same account (mine).

The computer based ROKU allows many channels not allowed on the Samsung TV.

The computer based ROKU installs channels such as CNN, France 24, BBC news.   But, they don't run. No content of any kind.  Installed into Ether.  

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

I have a couple of Samsung sets, so I'll see if I can install it and check it out.

Dan

0 Kudos
oktryitnow
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you

my goal is simple.   Install channels and view live content from CNN, NHK, BBC, France 24 news or any combination of those channels.  

I have a new Samsung, just purchased yesterday.   The channels from its ROKU app do not include anything of the kind.  

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Yep, as I thought. It's a Tizen OS version of The Roku Channel. It doesn't offer access to everything available on a Roku device. It only offers what is available in The Roku Channel itself. The app on your computer isn't the same thing, so don't expect them to offer the same functionality. 

Dan

0 Kudos
oktryitnow
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

OK

If I get a ROKU stick, will it install and run channels for CNN, NHK, BBC news?

I have 2 ROKUs.   Neither works.    Will the stick behave as expected?

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@oktryitnow wrote:

If I get a ROKU stick, will it install and run channels for CNN, NHK, BBC news?

I have 2 ROKUs.   Neither works.    Will the stick behave as expected?

I can't say about those particular channels. Sometimes you need to have a subscription to view them, sometimes you have to have a TV provider (cable or satellite), and sometimes they are limited based on where you are located. For example, if you're in the US there are many British channels that cannot be used. But I can't say about BBC News, it might be available everywhere. 

What model Roku devices do you have that aren't working? If they are older models, they might not be supported any longer. There should be a model number visible somewhere on the case. Don't go by the name, because Roku has a bad habit of reusing a name on completely different devices. 

Dan

0 Kudos