Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
danarrib

Re: Roku app not available on my Samsung smart TV

Jump to solution

Ok, is there any reason why the Roku App not being available on other countries than US and Canada? I'm on Brazil, I have a 2018 Samsung Q6FN TV and I would like to use the Roku App to watch CuriosityStream and Nebula channels.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@danarrib wrote:

Ok, is there any reason why the Roku App not being available on other countries than US and Canada? I'm on Brazil, I have a 2018 Samsung Q6FN TV and I would like to use the Roku App to watch CuriosityStream and Nebula channels.

The Roku app is actually The Roku Channel, which at this time is only available in the US and Canada. My guess is the license they (Roku) have to stream the media offered is restricted to those countries. Streaming contracts are expensive, so they're only going to pay for locations that they feel is most beneficial. 

The channels you mention (CuriosityStream and Nebula) are most likely not available within The Roku Channel. Again, this isn't an app that provides access to the same content you can get on a Roku player. It only offers what is available within the Roku Channel itself. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
k8bobate
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Dan, it looks like you have the same Roku 3600 stick that I have. I finally got around to upgrading from my 10-yr-old LG, which integrates well with Roku but not so well with Alexa Echo Dot. I splurged and got a new Samsung "smart" tv, but it's not very smart. I've spent hours trying to get it to control the Roku 3600 stick. That model number doesn't even come up in the list of Roku models in the pairing section of the universal remote. I guess it's time to upgrade my Roku as well, but now I'm worked that I'll spend extra money on a new Roku, only to have the same problem with this "smart" tv (Alexa can't control it well, it's not helpful for my Roku, etc.). Have you been successful in getting other devices to control the Roku 3600? It's plugged into my HDMI-ARC port, CEC enabled, turns on the TV with 1-touch, etc. But I'd rather not have to use multiple remotes every time 🙄

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@k8bobate wrote:

Dan, it looks like you have the same Roku 3600 stick that I have. I finally got around to upgrading from my 10-yr-old LG, which integrates well with Roku but not so well with Alexa Echo Dot. I splurged and got a new Samsung "smart" tv, but it's not very smart. I've spent hours trying to get it to control the Roku 3600 stick. That model number doesn't even come up in the list of Roku models in the pairing section of the universal remote. I guess it's time to upgrade my Roku as well, but now I'm worked that I'll spend extra money on a new Roku, only to have the same problem with this "smart" tv (Alexa can't control it well, it's not helpful for my Roku, etc.). Have you been successful in getting other devices to control the Roku 3600? It's plugged into my HDMI-ARC port, CEC enabled, turns on the TV with 1-touch, etc. But I'd rather not have to use multiple remotes every time 🙄

Well, my grandson is using the Stick now. I replaced it in my suitcase for a Premiere. 

That said, there's only one TV remote that I can recall ever working as a remote for a Roku player. That's the remote for my Samsung NU7100. It can do the basic stuff (stop and pause playback), but I've never actually tried using it to completely control a Roku. The major problem is there's no "Home" button on the TV remote, and some Roku channels require that button to exit and return to the main screen. My older Samsung TV has one of those "smart" remotes that has almost no buttons, so I've never even attempted controlling something other than the TV with it. And using CEC, I just use the Roku or Shield remote to control my AVR volume. I seldom need the TV remote, so I still end up with control with a single remote. But the 3600 doesn't have volume buttons on the remote, so that isn't possible with yours. This is using the remote for my two Ultra models. The 4640 has volume controls, and the 4670 adds a mute and power button. 

Oh, and you can't use a universal remote for a Roku Stick. They are the one Roku player that doesn't support IR remotes, which virtually all universal remotes are. All Roku Stick remotes are WiFi Direct only.

Dan

k8bobate
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you for the fast reply. I went ahead and bought another Roku Streaming Stick.. the 3810R (3810X), which controls power and volume on my Samsung TV. I've spent hours trying to get my Samsung universal remote to recognize the Roku, but it won't. I'm pulling my hair out over here. 

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@k8bobate wrote:

Thank you for the fast reply. I went ahead and bought another Roku Streaming Stick.. the 3810R (3810X), which controls power and volume on my Samsung TV. I've spent hours trying to get my Samsung universal remote to recognize the Roku, but it won't. I'm pulling my hair out over here. 

Roku Stick models are WiFi Direct only for their remotes. They don't support IR at all, so universal remotes won't work with them. This is because the Stick is generally installed directly into the HDMI port on the back of a TV, and IR requires a direct line of sight to function. No reason to add functionality that will almost never be used, so they save a bit of money building them. That in turn helps keep the selling price down.

Dan

0 Kudos
k8bobate
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I appreciate your response, but the Samsung universal remote that I'm using is not IR. It's designed specifically to work with HDMI devices.

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00050204/

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@k8bobate wrote:

I appreciate your response, but the Samsung universal remote that I'm using is not IR. It's designed specifically to work with HDMI devices.

I hadn't seen that particular remote, but it won't work with Roku devices. The reason is that Roku only implements CEC for outbound functions. I can use my Samsung remote to control my Shield via CEC, but it doesn't do anything with my Ultra. What Roku uses CEC for is to control the volume on either a TV or AVR, or to cause them both to switch to the correct input when a Roku remote button is pressed. There's no control that I've ever seen via CEC that will do anything on a Roku player. 

Samsung is making claims for that device that aren't realistic. And looking it over, I see what the real issue is. It has this note:

Note: Point the remote control at the external device you want to control; make sure there are no obstacles between the remote control and the device.

That means they are using IR to control the other devices, not CEC via HDMI. So nope, it will never work on a Roku Stick, since they don't support IR. That web page needs a clearer explanation about how their universal remote works. Not the first time Samsung hasn't explained things well for their products. I'm speaking from experience, as I've had Samsung 4K TVs for about 6 years now. 

Dan

0 Kudos
k8bobate
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Well, **bleep**. Pardon my French. Yes, I saw the 'point at the device' note as well, but figured that was for the IR devices as well. I was able to get my old Toshiba DVR/VHS to sync up with the Samsung universal remote by telling Samsung tv that it was a blu-ray player and selecting the correct model number in the list that populates in the remote set up. It's able to control the Toshiba just fine. The most frustrating part is that the Samsung remote set up also has the Roku listed with most model numbers as well (including the 3810)...which makes you think it will sync up to their remote.

Kate

0 Kudos
k8bobate
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I forgot to mention, the Samsung hdmi port is set to HDMI-CEC for the Roku.. and Anynet+ is activated... seems like all of the pieces are in play that would need to be for this to work. 

On a broader issue, I am so bummed that these "smart devices" are rather dumb when it comes to cross-platform compatibility. I have a range of smart products in my house, including the Alexa Echo Dot, MyQ garage, Schlage lock, Ring doorbell, Samsung TV, Roku, Firestick, Kasa smart plug, etc. I'm getting a Nest thermostat soon, and I'm anticipating the syncing issues already. Bixby and Goggle Assistant are not as intuitive as Alexa, and she is not very intuitive herself. SmartThings seems to be so limited (can't add Roku to that either!). Oy!

Kate

Kate

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.