Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
VilleDick
Binge Watcher

NFL Not Using Cable Authentication

I tried using the NFL app to stream Red Zone and various in market games yesterday. Nothing worked. The games said "Fumble" and had a generic error message. The Red Zone and NFL Network required a cable subscription with access to those channels.

I'm logged in with my Fios credentials, and my subscription has both of those channels. I logged out and logged back in and it didn't work. I tried multiple Rokus with no luck. It worked fine on my iPad. So it seems I've isolated this to the NFL Roku Channel. I tried again this morning to watch NFL Network and it's still the same issue.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
37 REPLIES 37
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: NFL Not Using Cable Authentication

Roku tells you the website NFL says to go to to authenticate your subscription.  You tell NFL which TV provider account you have and you enter your credentials for that provider.  The provider verifies your account and either confirms or denies that your account with them provides access to that channel.

If the process fails, it is something that must be ironed out between NFL and Fios.  Roku can only honor NFL's decision, either way.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
VilleDick
Binge Watcher

It's only the NFL Channel on Roku that isn't authenticating. The NFL app on iOS authenticates fine with my FIOS credentials. This seems to be a recurring theme in week 1 for the NFL Roku channel, though usually it resolves by halftime of the early games. 

0 Kudos
joshharm

Same issue for me. Pissing me off. Have you figured out any way to fix this?

0 Kudos
VilleDick
Binge Watcher

Nope, not yet. NFL support was no help either. I ended up using Air Play from my iPad, less than ideal and not what I should have to do

0 Kudos
LarrySoc

I am having the same issue.  Was able to use AirPlay and stream from both my iPhone and iPad, but can no longer use my Verizon FiOS subscription on Roku.  The Roku NFL app must have disabled RedZone for service provider subscriptions while mobile apps (iOS) still work.  Would need Roku to figure out with NFL.

0 Kudos
hayli

I subscribe to Redzone on my cable provider. Forgot to mention: before I had the cable authentication issue (I would have posted photos of the issue but this subreddit doesn't allow images) I was getting a 403 error.

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi, Community users!

We highly appreciate you for bringing this to our attention. Rest assured that we will forward your concerns to the appropriate Roku team for further review and validation. Kindly provide us with the following details below to help us create a ticket effectively:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and OS version. (this can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • Tracker ID (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)
  • What version/build is the app/channel? (this can be found by highlighting the channel/app on the Home screen and pressing the Star* button)
  • Who is your internet service provider?

We'll be patiently waiting for your responses as we are more than willing to investigate this further and sort this out for you. In the meantime, your patience and understanding are highly appreciated as we work on this.

Kind regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
VilleDick
Binge Watcher

The serial number doesn't matter, it spreads across all Roku devices. I have Roku Premieres, Roku Streaming sticks, and a Roku TV. The problem spreads across all devices. 

The posters in this thread have a verified cable login to NFL Redzone and are unable to stream NFL content on their Roku devices. However, using the same credentials, we are able to stream on iOS and Android devices. There is an authentication problem between Roku and the NFL. For years this has worked just fine, the 2023 season is the first where this problem has occurred.

Any assistance would be appreciated, thank you very much for your reply.

0 Kudos
RokuCarly
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thank you for sharing your input, @VilleDick.

We understand your point and appreciate your input. Could you give us at least one of your device's information? Our engineering team is requesting it so we can fully investigate the issue you have been experiencing. Also, we need to have the Tracker ID (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID) to asses your concern effectively. 

We'll be looking forward to your response.

Best regards,
Carly

Carly Y.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos