Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hulu hdr suddenly not available

I have a TCL 6 series Roku tv. From day one of my purchasing this tv, I have had no issues enjoying hdr and Dolby vision content from Hulu and Disney Plus. Now, all of a sudden, I have noticed that Hulu shows that previously offered hdr (Handmaid’s Tale, Only Murders in the Building, etc.) do not offer it any longer. The show details page where you can choose an episode now only displays that the show offers 4K 5.1, whereas before, it displayed 4K 5.1 HDR. Disney Plus is even worse. Where before on content like a Star Wars movie for example, it would display 4K Dolby Vision Dolby Atmos, now only displays HD 5.1. Other apps such as Netflix, YouTube, Peacock, are not affected and still display all 4K, Dolby vision and HDR options. It seems to only be Hulu and Disney Plus that are affected. I’ve tried resetting the tv, updating software, deleting and reinstalling the apps and nothing fixes this problem. It’s like those apps simply do not recognize that the tv is capable of doing 4K hdr and Dolby vision. I have an Apple TV connected to another tv in a different room and Hulu and Disney plus still work normally there, so it isn’t like those features are unlocked by paying for a higher tier service or anything. Does this have something to do with the Disney Plus and Hulu merge that is only affecting Roku tvs? Is this simply a software bug that will be fixed in the future? Any solutions or suggestions? Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
jrcfromoh
Reel Rookie

Re: Hulu hdr suddenly not available

I just started having this exact same problem today. I noticed both apps updated today when I checked so I’m thinking the pushed out a buggy update and hopefully it’ll be fixed soon! 

jrcfromoh
Reel Rookie

I def think it’s a buggy update for the TVs. I plugged in my 4k Roku streaming stick to my TV and it showed and played in HDR but when going into the apps on the TV only shows and plays in HD. 

0 Kudos
Dominick6404
Reel Rookie

I'm having the same issue on my Hisense 65R6+ HELP!

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi Community users!

Greetings from the Roku Community.

We acknowledge your concern about the HDR feature not being available and would be happy to investigate further.  We would like to ask for the following information below to help us in investigating the issue.

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About
  • Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID).
  • Is your Hulu or Disney with Ads or NO Ads?
  • Channel version
  • Are you seeing the HDR badge on the main display of the content you're reporting?
  • Could you provide an example of specific content that you experienced this issue?

Thank you for reporting this to us. We appreciate your continuous patience and understanding as we work on this. 

Regards,
Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
blade_005
Roku Guru

I had the same issue with my two (2) HDR capable TCL Roku TV's with Disney+ and Hulu. HDR support was gone and all labeling for HDR was also removed from both applications. The 'fix' seems to have come with the update to ROKU OS  Version 13.0.0 - Build 24062-30 that arrive on both of my TV's today. After the update from OS 12.5.5. to the version above, HDR support and labeling has returned.

BenQ HT2060 4LED Projector (120") | ONN 5.1.2 Dolby ATMOS SB | FTV4K MAX (2nd GEN) | Roku Express 4K+
TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS SB | FTV4K MAX (2nd GEN)
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | FTV4K MAX (2nd GEN)
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | FTV4K MAX (2nd GEN)
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.