Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gerbuay
Reel Rookie

Re: HBO Max not available in your region

The fact that HBO max is still available on my phone and my non Roku TV makes me believe this is a Roku issue. They should at least allow us to go to a previous version where they didn't automatically update the app. 

If Max wants everyone to update to Max they will lose hundreds of subscribers which makes zero sense, they should at least make Max available everywhere where HBO used to work.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@Gerbuay wrote:

The fact that HBO max is still available on my phone and my non Roku TV makes me believe this is a Roku issue.

Nope, it's solely controlled by HBO. Roku has no control over what version of an app/channel is available from 3rd party providers. It doesn't matter if it's available on non-Roku devices. Roku doesn't control it, HBO does. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
BISimion
Reel Rookie

So, I did as @atc98092  suggested for everyone else and contacted HBO Support. In my case, Romania is considering having two services: the old HBO Max Channel or HBO Max for any other platform, a service available in Romania, and the new MAX Channel or MAX for any other platform, a service unavailable to Romania.

And, wherever Roku is officially supported, HBO officially services MAX; the HBO guys just replaced the old HBO Max Channel with the new MAX Channel instead of creating a new one for MAX and keeping the old HBO Max Channel.

And that is why nobody cannot get HBO content anymore outside the officially supported countries by Roku. It seems like HBO aligned more with what Roku officially supports in this regard; I guess is their loss. I would have to stick with services that offer content regardless of the borders.

I took note to HBO that it is stupid to have the ability to make a subscription in my country but not be able to use it on Roku since, this way, they are losing customers, but anyway, their call.

0 Kudos
DanaV

We have the same issue in Uruguay. HBO Max was available in all devices, but now that Roku updated to Max, we cannot log in even though we have a subscription.

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @DanaV,

Thanks for your first post in the Roku Community!

In order to resolve this, it's best to reach out directly to get the channel going on your Roku, as they can resolve the error you are having with the channel login. Please note that Roku doesn't manage channel logins or authentication, and many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves.

For MAX Support, please check this out: MAX Support

Please keep us posted if you need further assistance or clarification.

All the best,

Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.