Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cwjsmith
Binge Watcher

Re: BBC iplayer fault code 02056

Each time I go to bbc on my roku  and select update it says it has updated but still does not work.

Just setup my new firestick so I can watch BBC, it is working fine,

0 Kudos
BoB73

We have a Roku 3920X streamer which worked fine until a couple of weeks ago then displayed the now famous 02056 error code.  Following earlier answers we have removed the app, rebooted and reinstated the app several times without any change.

According to a BBC website the iplayer supports 3920EU but there is no mention of 3920X, yet it worked until a couple of weeks ago and it works with everything now except the BBC.  I'd noted earlier exchanges and thought "ah well, give it a few days ......" but I'm getting old waiitng and in the meantime programmes I wanted to watch on catch up are disappearing.

Bob

0 Kudos
ianc2020
Streaming Star

No one has officially explained why some 3810EU sticks work and some don't. I have seen empty promises of updates for the last couple of weeks.

I have asked Roku if it would help if I reset to factory defaults and start a new account with Roku - would that completely refresh the ROKU Operating system - they will get back to me!.

I  wonder if anyone has tried this?

Bob as your 3920X has an identical issue to the other sticks I would hope the long awaited 'fix' will sort out your stick. - but if its newish I would see if you can get the retailer to replace it. Sadly I think you missed the opportunity to get a cheap FireStick during the Amazon sale yesterday.

0 Kudos
Richiesday
Binge Watcher

I commented a week ago that this bbc iPlayer issue is not just a recent one if you scroll back a few years it pops up frequently, your choice if you stick (sorry) with it or trade it in for a stick that doesn’t experience this, what is becoming, a right pain in the backside. 

0 Kudos
Steve704
Streaming Star

Hi Richiesday,

Yes you are absolutely right.  I've sent several emails to BBC this week and no reply to any of them, not even as of yesterday any update on their website. I think the only solution is to ditch the Roku...... a waste of good hardware but seems the only alternative. Thanks for the input again.

It's worth noting that the Roku 3920 (all models) according to Roku developers website is currently in their Class 2, ie; no longer in production, but s.ware supported, and indeed why otherwise did they apply their latest OS (11) from the March 22 rollout. Indeed looking at the last major code change to the 3920-EU this was in May and it is obvious now the latest 02056 issue is tied to this.....Iplayer incompatibility with OS11.

It's a shame because the Roku Premiere range has a much better spec than the later still in production equivalent Roku Express....that's life.
0 Kudos
roger_c
Channel Surfer

Hi All,  Don't dispair, I have a Roku Premiere (3920X but interestingly sold in a box labelled 3920UK..!) which packed up (02056) just before Wimbledon and have been equally frustrated.  In desperation I contacted Argos (supplier) tech support who suggested a 'factory reset' from the on-screen menu and lo and behold BBC iPlayer is back.

I wish anyone who reads this the same luck.

0 Kudos
Steve704
Streaming Star

Hi Roger-c,

Interesting. One thing to look out for, if you restored to factory code presumably it will at some point auto update back to the latest release operating system  The question is will it still work after this or will the 02056 error return?. It will be worth checking in System/ Settings/About to check the Roku software version? My code is currently 11.0.0 build 4193-91 which still has the problem and currently says is up to date. 

0 Kudos
ianc2020
Streaming Star

Well that didn't work for me.

I restored my stick to factory defaults and it then seems to automatically update to the latest Roku OS version 11.0.0  4193-50, it also loaded up the  same version of iPlayer, with my breath held and fingers crossed I  tried to play some content and immediately got the 02056 error on iplayer. Still on the bright side I've answered a question that was niggling away.

So another week on still with a duff stick and silence from Roku and the Beeb.

IS ANYBODY OUT THERE?

0 Kudos
Steamboats52
Channel Surfer

That didn't work for me either. It reset to the same version 11.0.0, although build changed from 4193.50 to 4193. I haven't found a way of stopping an automatic system update.

0 Kudos
roger_c
Channel Surfer

Hi Steve704,  I agree there is always that risk after an update but I shall be ready!

It is reporting  version 11.0.0 Build 4193 exactly as it was before and the June date for that version just about coincided with it ceasing.  I am not sure where you get -91 from but I cannot see it.  An interesting addition is that I was invited to sign up for Britbox which was not available on Roku in the UK last time I looked.

For those spelling critics.....don't despair.... syntax checker leading me astray!

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.