Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Steve704
Streaming Star

Re: BBC iplayer fault code 02056

Hi Dougie, you sound to have done all the stuff recommended and like many of us without success. I went back to BBC Iplayer today as per my original case number using a link they issued that allows follow up emails and confirmed that Roku have not as yet applied a s.ware patch and the problem still exists and await therefore await their response. I am not sure when Roku intend to fix the problem ...... it is starting to feel very frustrating given the device is supported by BBC Iplayer and as far as I am aware by Roku. 

ianc2020
Streaming Star

Hi Dougie1,  You have described exactly the same problem that I have, Welcome to the frustrated Roku owners.  It is worth also contacting the BBC as they have a dialogue with Roku, I suspect the more people raise this issue then someone may take notice and solve the problem.

Regards Ian

Grogerus
Channel Surfer

If this is purely a problem on Roku streaming sticks and not on others then I it's clearly a Roku problem. I've had my Roku stick for a while now and like others I have been getting this error for a week now.

I will just ditch Roku and go for another streaming stick. If Roku cannot be bothered to acknowledge the issue then I say ditch them (if you've just purchased one then exchange it). That is the only language they understand. Any streaming stick that does not reliably support iPlayer is not doing its job.

Richiesday
Binge Watcher

It does appear to be and the history of problems playing bbc iPlayer dates back years if you look, on and off a recurring issue, it certainly needs to be highlighted on reviews when people are buying as you say there is always Amazon Firestick and others to turn to.  

0 Kudos
Steve704
Streaming Star

Thanks to you all for various feedback yesterday. I am starting to conclude a move away from Roku with regard to their lack of action/communication may be the final answer to the Iplayer problem though at the same time (given I am an engineer) I never like giving up on issues and seek solutions.

Anyway yesterday I got further feedback from the BBC, they said:

We have had an update from Roku and they've advised that the fix is in place for the remaining devices. They have advised this can take a few days to fully roll out.

So by this weekend, I would say the update has been rolled out across all devices.

Hopefully, you won't have any more issues but please get back to us if you continue having trouble from Monday onwards.

As of now the problem is not however fixed. If it is still present tomorrow I will push this back onto the BBC. I would encourage others to do the same. Many thanks.

Steve704
Streaming Star

Forgot to add, if contacting the BBC regarding 02056 problem it is worth quoting to them the following in addition to Model and serial numbers:

Check and report the current software versions. In my case:

Roku version: 11.0.0 build 4193

Iplayer version: 1.0 build 91000032

This will hopefully help their case in further discussion with Roku.

HectorG12
Binge Watcher

I have two 3810EU Roku Streaming Stick + devices, both with software 11.0.0 and build 4193-50. No later software is available. They obviously have different serial numbers and device IDs. 

BBC i-player (same version) works perfectly on one but not on the other, which gives error code 02056. All other apps etc work fine.

I've followed the advice of others, uninstalling i-player, doing a Roku Stick system restart then reinstalling i-player, followed by a further system restart when it still didn't work. Did this 4 times over a day without success.

If Roku say it may take a while to roll out the fix I presume it varies for devices with different IDs/Serial Numbers and is not a single fix that applies to, for example, all 3810EU sticks.

The fact that i-player still works fine on my ancient Firestick, retired due to its dodgy remote control, is a guide to my next purchase when the time comes!

0 Kudos
ianc2020
Streaming Star

Hi HectorG12 Your experience with the two sticks is really interesting and supports the theory that there is a small duff batch of sticks. My numbers are the same as yours.  I did check this morning (Sunday) for a Roku update but nothing yet. If I were Roku I'd be making you an offer to buy both your sticks the could get to the bottom of the problem.

0 Kudos
ianc2020
Streaming Star

Hi Richiesday  The review sites was my next step (next week), but felt it was fair to give Roku a chance to fix the problem - which their Customer Relations still seem to say isn't their problem..

0 Kudos
Steve704
Streaming Star

Hi Ian, Hector, interesting feedback from you both.

I guess the BBC are expecting fix to be inplace by Monday, or may be simply buying time. I imagine the implementation may be a joint effort, the fix and its targeting and distribution assuming they fully understand the extent of the device audience to be targeted. Haven't given up yet but the time is approaching ..... will see what Monday brings.

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.