Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
owlshade
Reel Rookie

Re: Acorn TV crashes back to Home Screen

Jump to solution

Hello Takashi,

The “Acorn” issue apparently dates back to the Roku release of OS 11.5 in September 2022. Shortly after that release, posters wdaniels47 and perezjj2 commented on how OS 11.5 changed the default picture display type to Automatic. For unknown reasons this affects the playback of programs supplied by AcornTV. The crashes back to home screen issue. Other streaming apps may be affected.

The original posters determined that changing the Roku display setting to something other than automatic avoids the issue. Acorn did not change anything so thinking it must be their issue is not the approach to use.

Roku moderators should make it easy for Roku owners to learn what to do if this happens to them. I spent a lot time rebooting, reloading, reconnecting without success until I just happened to find out about the Roku display setting.

Until this matter can be resolved without user intervention, it should be the first step moderators suggest to resolve it. Also an FAQ for this should be provided.

Roku owners will be delighted to see their concerns addressed.

All the best! 

owlshade
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hello,

There is a Roku procedure to avoid “Acorn” crashes. Changing a Roku setting is an answer that has worked. If you already know about it, then ignore this.

On the Roku device, find and select settings.

Then scroll to one called display, display type, or something similar and select it

If the current one checked is automatic, then change it. I used 1080p. The newer the TV, the more choices. Each one may have a short description. Select one that is not automatic. Perhaps any other choice will work, I just selected one I had heard of.

You will get a black screen, which is followed by an image. Select I See The Image. If no image, you may have picked a setting not supported by that TV and trying another may work.

Power cycle or reboot the Roku to activate the change.

Then try an Acorn program that crashed on a previous try.

If you know other Roku users/owners tell them about this.

Cheers!

kkenna

Jump to solution

I can't think you enough for posting this. Acorn was pretty much unusable until I found this post! 

Donnielou

Jump to solution

Oh, yes!  This took care of my problem with Roku and my new LG smart tv!  Thank you.

swertfager
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Acorn has been crashing for 2 years and I thought I'd tried everything and nothing worked.  THANK YOU SO MUCH, changing the display to 1080 worked like a charm!

cswigart

Jump to solution

I recently began having problems with AcornTV quiting back to the home screen. The solution of changing the display setting to something other than "automatic" worked.

swertfager
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I set my display to 1080 and that immediately fixed the crashing problem.  Thanks to those who posted about taking the display off of automatic!

0 Kudos
Edandlinda

Jump to solution

Thanks for your posts as the crashes have been eliminated.

Ed Ruff

0 Kudos