Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lou59

Acorn TV crashes back to Home Screen

Jump to solution

We're having problems with our Roku Streambar.  When watching shows on Acorn TV, it will crash back to the Home Screen after about a minute.  We have tried removing Acorn and reinstalling it.  We have signed out of Acorn and signed back in.  We have cycled power on the TV and on the streambar with no success.

We replaced the streambar with our old Roku player... All Acorn TV shows work perfectly, no crash issues.

We put the streambar back in place; issues come back, shows are crashing back to the Home screen

Model: 9102R

Device ID: 2A1194374227

S/N: YL004U374227

S/W Version: 11.5.0

3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
JKTG
Channel Surfer

Re: Acorn TV crashes back to Home Screen

Jump to solution

What is your TV? Is it 4K HDR? What is your list of options (which one selected) under Roku Streambar Home, Settings, Disply type? Try each of the list options to see if the problem persists.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
owlshade
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hello Takashi,

The “Acorn” issue apparently dates back to the Roku release of OS 11.5 in September 2022. Shortly after that release, posters wdaniels47 and perezjj2 commented on how OS 11.5 changed the default picture display type to Automatic. For unknown reasons this affects the playback of programs supplied by AcornTV. The crashes back to home screen issue. Other streaming apps may be affected.

The original posters determined that changing the Roku display setting to something other than automatic avoids the issue. Acorn did not change anything so thinking it must be their issue is not the approach to use.

Roku moderators should make it easy for Roku owners to learn what to do if this happens to them. I spent a lot time rebooting, reloading, reconnecting without success until I just happened to find out about the Roku display setting.

Until this matter can be resolved without user intervention, it should be the first step moderators suggest to resolve it. Also an FAQ for this should be provided.

Roku owners will be delighted to see their concerns addressed.

All the best! 

owlshade
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hello,

There is a Roku procedure to avoid “Acorn” crashes. Changing a Roku setting is an answer that has worked. If you already know about it, then ignore this.

On the Roku device, find and select settings.

Then scroll to one called display, display type, or something similar and select it

If the current one checked is automatic, then change it. I used 1080p. The newer the TV, the more choices. Each one may have a short description. Select one that is not automatic. Perhaps any other choice will work, I just selected one I had heard of.

You will get a black screen, which is followed by an image. Select I See The Image. If no image, you may have picked a setting not supported by that TV and trying another may work.

Power cycle or reboot the Roku to activate the change.

Then try an Acorn program that crashed on a previous try.

If you know other Roku users/owners tell them about this.

Cheers!

57 REPLIES 57
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi  @Lou59

Welcome to the Roku Community!

To ensure the process of removing and re-adding the Acorn TV channel is successful, make sure to restart your device before adding the channel back in. from the Settings menu by navigating to  Settings > System > System restart > Restart. However, if it still has no dice and the issue is only with the channel alone, this is a good indication that there is likely an issue within that specific channel that will need to be addressed with an update from the channel publisher. Channels on Roku are created and maintained by each channel publisher. In this case, you'll want to reach out to Acorn TV support directly to share your feedback.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
JKTG
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Do you have a newer 4K HDR Samsung TV? If so, with the Streambar connected, go to the Roku Settings, Display and select something like the 4K HDR 60 fps rather than the recommended 4K HDR10 60 fps.

jestas2020
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I am having Acorn crashing issues back to home screen. I cannot remove the channel per troubleshooting instructions using the Roku remote. It can only be done via the web.

0 Kudos
wdaniels47
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have an LG TV with Roku 2000.  A couple of days ago, Acorn TV started to crash after a minute or two.  I have no trouble watching it on my PC,  just with my Roku 2000.  I have uninstalled Acorn TV, restarted the Roky 2000 and then added Acorn again.  Doesn't help.  Did you send out an update that has caused this?

Thanks, Bill

perezjj2
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I am having the same problem with the Acorn Channel and a Roku Streambar Pro (9101R2), I noticed this problem occurring after updating to 11.5. Acorn is working fine with Roku Ultra's and Streaming Sticks I own.  I worked with Roku Support the past 2 weeks and performed all the steps they suggested:

- Check for new Roku OS Updates, Check the Acorn App Version, Delete Acorn App and Add Back.

- Reset Roku OS to Factory Settings (which is a pain because I had reset all of my Roku Speakers, check for new Roku OS, Delete Acorn App and Add Back

- Provided them with a video recording of the problem, which they never acknowledged receiving.

- Last Support Rep I chatted with finally gave up and told me to contact Acorn since that was the only channel I was having trouble with. I asked him several times if they received my video recording of the problem and he wouldn't respond and then he cancelled the Chat because I brought up another problem I was starting to have with Remote not controlling On/Off with Samsung TV.

Needless to say Roku Suppport gave up on problem and Now I am working with Acorn Support to resolve issue.  Roku Technical Support is only helpful up to a point and You are battling with 2 vendors.

JKTG
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

What is your TV? Is it 4K HDR? What is your list of options (which one selected) under Roku Streambar Home, Settings, Disply type? Try each of the list options to see if the problem persists.

0 Kudos
perezjj2
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

My TV is a Samsung 4k HDR and the Roku is set to Auto Detect 4k HDR whenever programming is a 4k program.

0 Kudos
perezjj2
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I changed my settings from Automatic (4k HDR10 at 60fps) and Acorn Channel works at 1080p TV.  This verifies that Roku Version 11.5 update included changes that affected setting Roku Stream Bar to Automatic (4k HDR10 at 60fps) which allows the Roku Streamer to adjust to highest display type based on the program.  I have always used Automatic setting on my Roku boxes with no problem until now, if you can't use that setting then they should remove it and run everything at 1080p TV Setting or maybe Acorn made changes to their App. 

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi Community users,

We would recommend try removing the channel from the Roku home screen by navigating to the channel tile, pressing the * key on your remote and choosing 'Remove channel'. Then restart your device from Settings>System>System restart. Once your player starts up again, add the channel back once more. 

If you are still experiencing an issue, can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 

Once we have this information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos