Cameras & doorbells

Discover how to use Roku cameras and doorbells in your home. Join the community discussion for installation tips, troubleshooting, resources, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hackztor
Roku Guru

No playback from SD card the playback option is missing

Jump to solution

Sad part is I already pay for Roku cloud and still would I just want my sd card access from the camera as well. Not going on a ladder everytime to view IF anything happened. Pathetic roku. Either tell us you will fix it or not so we can leave. Sad part is roku not gonna sell a lot then get out of the smart home business and blame it on oversaturated market when it is just dumb Roku decision.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: No playback from SD card the playback option is missing

Jump to solution

@AppleGuy, you have to remove the microSD card and take it to a computer.  There's no way to view the recordings from the app.

"To view an event recording backed up on a micro SD card, you must remove the card and connect it to your computer."

How to install a micro SD card in your Roku Smart Home camera | Official Roku Support

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @hackztor,

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community.

We sincerely apologize for this experience, and we want to make sure that you're the best of the features offered by our Roku cameras. Videos are always captured to your micro SD in Full HD 1080p. When your card runs out of space, the oldest footage is overwritten to make room for new recordings. We recommend checking first if you've already set-up the recordings of your camera to access it on your SD card. To record to your micro SD card, open the smart home app and follow the instructions below.

How to record to your Mico SD card.

Event and continuous recordings

1. Select your camera from the Home screen
  2. Tap Settings  in the corner
  3. Select Advanced settings
  4. Tap and toggle Record to MicroSD card
  5. Select Continuous or Events only

Scheduled and time-lapse recording

1. Select your camera from the Home screen
  2. Tap More More icon with 3 dots in the Roku Smart Home mobile app - microsd card slot
  3. Select Scheduled recording or Time-lapse
  4. Enter the details for the recording

If you've already done the steps and still can't access the recording through your camera, please let us know so we can take further action to address this.

Keep us posted.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
AppleGuy
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

So are you saying that you SHOULD be able to access the continuous recorded video from the SD card through the Roku Smart Home app?

If so, I can't either.  Please explain exactly how to access that video.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@AppleGuy, you have to remove the microSD card and take it to a computer.  There's no way to view the recordings from the app.

"To view an event recording backed up on a micro SD card, you must remove the card and connect it to your computer."

How to install a micro SD card in your Roku Smart Home camera | Official Roku Support

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
AppleGuy
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Ugh!  How horribly short-sighted.  That's a great answer for 1991, but today?  That's insane.

Can you do continuous recording to the cloud or is it just event based?  I don't seem to find Continuous anywhere but the SD card which so intelligently needs to be removed to viewed.

Thanks

kitnaMae
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Can you do continuous recording to the cloud or is it just event based? 

I'm paying for the Roku subscription and the answer is no... you cannot playback video from there either beyond what event is recorded. Its a ripoff. It's better to buy a no-name brand camera at this point. Roku has seriously dropped the ball on this one. 

@Roku Any plans on changing this? I'm sure everyone would like to playback their video from any timeline via the app on their phone, not scaling the side of their home to retrieve an SD card. 

AppleGuy
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thanks for the info.  Looks like the 10 I bought as gifts are going back.

AppleGuy
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Returned them all as defective.  Poor design.

Sfjmercado

Jump to solution

That is disgusting. Wyze has the same camera and I can easily scroll through the time line and see events. Who the **bleep** wants to take an SD card out and read it in a computer! lol

i am buying more Wyze and returning this.

Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.