Cameras & doorbells

Discover how to use Roku cameras and doorbells in your home. Join the community discussion for installation tips, troubleshooting, resources, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ike507

Indoor Camera won't record video, only images

Jump to solution

I purchased a yearly subscription for my 1 camera, but the subscription isn't linking to my app (even though I used same login) and doesn't seem linked to my camera. My camera isn't recording videos, only taking images. I called Roku. I was told something about an internet outage and they would call me back within 24hours. It has now been about 26-28 hours. No phone call. How do I correct this issue? How can I get my subscription linked to my camera and app? How can I get camera to record?

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Indoor Camera won't record video, only images

Jump to solution

Hi @DestinyDelle,

Thanks for keeping us posted!

We appreciate that you have performed the troubleshooting steps that have been provided above, but it seems like it did not fix the issue that you're experiencing. No worries; we will be happy to assist you further. Please try to delete your Roku camera by opening the Roku Smart Home app and tapping the desired camera. After tapping the camera, a gear icon may be seen on the top side. You must tap it in order to see a deletion option for the camera. Additionally, you must return to the Roku Smart Home app's home screen and tap the plus sign. Then, you must add the camera once more by following the steps in the Roku Smart Home app and tapping the + sign.

If the problem still persists, please let us know.

All the best,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hello! @Carlcrow91,

Thanks for your question,

We appreciate you for contacting us regarding your Roku Smart Home Subscription inquiry. We are thrilled to help you.

Many customers find the Event Recordings to be a huge benefit of the subscription. This means that when your camera detects motion or sound, it will start recording a new Event, you'll receive a push notification from your mobile app, and the video recording will automatically be stored in the cloud for 14 days. Without a subscription plan, your camera will still capture a new motion or sound, but only as an image snapshot, rather than an extended video clip.ll Roku Smart Home cameras all include motion detection alerts, they can’t tell a tree from a person. A subscription includes Smart Detection to distinguish between a person, a package delivery, a vehicle, or a pet. This gives you the option to only receive alerts when a person is detected if you so choose.

Subscription Features:

• Instant recordings: Many customers find instant recordings to be a huge benefit of the subscription. Set your camera to start recording when it detects motion or sound in a motion detection zone.
  • Cloud storage: These instant recordings will live in your cloud storage, letting you know what happened—and when—with 14-day cloud storage for each motion event. You can even filter your cloud storage events by type, which allows you to see only the events you care about—like package deliveries—and not ones you don’t—like a car turning around in your driveway. 
  • Smart detection: All Roku Smart Home cameras include motion detection alerts, but they can’t tell a tree from a person. A camera subscription includes Smart Detection to distinguish between a person, a package delivery, a vehicle, or a pet. This gives you the option to only receive alerts when a person is detected if you so choose.

For detailed information about the Roku Smart Home Subscription please check this out: How to sign up for and manage a Roku Smart Home Subscription for cameras & doorbells

If you have any further questions or concerns please let us know.

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Ike507,

A warm greeting to the Roku Community!

We understand you're having issues linking your Roku camera to your subscription. Rest assured that we take your concerns seriously and are committed to resolving your issues. We have passed along your information to the appropriate Roku team, and they'll be taking things from here and do their best to solve this.

Thank you for your patience and understanding. 

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
DestinyDelle
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I am also experiencing this issue where my event detections are only capturing images but not recording. It worked fine with the free trial, but I purchased the subscription later in the day on the first day of having the camera and now it won't record video unless I manually record via live. I have checked my app and it shows my subscription, as well as my online account shows my camera. I've uninatalled and reinstalled the app with no avail. My audio for talking from my phone to the camera also doesn't work. I purchased this brand new on Saturday. 

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @DestinyDelle,

Greetings to the Roku Community!

Thanks for sharing this with us, and we're glad to help you out. Let's try these few troubleshooting steps below and see if it resolves the issue.

1. Confirm the Roku Smart Home app and outdoor camera firmware are up-to-date.
  2. Confirm that Detects Motion and Detects Sound are turned on in the Events Recording setting.
    • Live Stream > Settings > Event Recording
  3. Confirm that there are no event recording schedules.
    • Live Stream > Settings > Event Recording > Schedule > All Day should be toggled ON.
  4. Turn the detection sensitivity to 100.
    • Live Stream > Settings > Detection Zone
    • If the user begins to receive too many notifications, they can lower the sensitivity by 5–10 notches at a time until they receive the desired amount of events or notifications.
  5. Confirm if there aren’t any scheduled Rules that might affect when Event Recordings take place.
    • Tap the [...] at the top of the Roku Smart Home app.
    • Tap Edit Rules.
    • It should bring up a list of any rules that the user has created.

If the issue persists, kindly keep us posted so we can review this issue further and resolve it.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
DestinyDelle
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Sorry for the late reply. The notification for your reply went to my spam folder. 

However, none of these worked and it's still only snapping photos. @RokuTakashi 

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @DestinyDelle,

Thanks for keeping us posted!

We appreciate that you have performed the troubleshooting steps that have been provided above, but it seems like it did not fix the issue that you're experiencing. No worries; we will be happy to assist you further. Please try to delete your Roku camera by opening the Roku Smart Home app and tapping the desired camera. After tapping the camera, a gear icon may be seen on the top side. You must tap it in order to see a deletion option for the camera. Additionally, you must return to the Roku Smart Home app's home screen and tap the plus sign. Then, you must add the camera once more by following the steps in the Roku Smart Home app and tapping the + sign.

If the problem still persists, please let us know.

All the best,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Kansaseds

Jump to solution

I have the same problem. I pay for it and it shows on the subscription that I have 0 cameras b7t when I logged into my roku it shows I have all of them. Plus you have no phone number to call for support. 

0 Kudos
DestinyDelle
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

The last suggestion worked. Something to do with setting it up via free trial vs setting it up after subscribing. Once I deleted the camera on the app, then added it back on, the subscription screen then showed the cameras (I had the same thing as you - 0 cameras in subscription on the app but my roku account showed my cams). Now im getting recordings instead of just pictures. 

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Kansaseds,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Thanks for sharing this information with us, and we'll provide steps to resolve this. Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing your Roku Smart Home app to see if you notice any improvements? If not, we highly recommend doing so to clear the cache and see if it resolves the issue.

Additionally, when you still notice the issue persists, could you please send us an image referring to the issue? This would help us have a more detailed grasp of the issue and work on it.

We look forward to your response.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Carlcrow91

Jump to solution

Do I have to have a subscription to get me camera to record video? All I'm getting are photos @RokuTakashi 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.