Account, payments & subscriptions

Get the help you need with the My Roku Account log in, Roku billing, subscription questions, and more. Join the community discussion for more assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lrm100
Channel Surfer

How to cancel Discovery Plus - doesn't show up as a subscription on Roku

DISCOVERY+ was offered as one of the introductory subscriptions during the initial setup of a new TCL Roku TV, and my hapless husband hit it accidentally. We're brand new to Roku, and you can't find information about how to remove hidden subscriptions anywhere--until I found the cautionary tales (too late!) on the Roku site. So I called.

The Roku rep helpfully informed me I had "signed up for a direct subscription with Discovery." No, it happened less than an hour ago, and was accidental. The rep was sympathetic, and transferred me to a useless Discovery+ business voicemail in California, that had a recording, shunting people who wished to cancel over to their website.

This evasive treatment is a scummy business practice, and a horrible introduction to Roku. Why is such a great company subjecting their customers to this disgusting, dodge from some subscription providers? Why isn't it easy for ALL to be removed by the customer? How can I get real help?

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Re: How to cancel Discovery Plus - doesn't show up as a subscription on Roku

@lrm100 Can you login to Discovery + using the same email that you used for Roku?  Once signed in to Discovery + can you cancel or unsubscribe there?

0 Kudos
lrm100
Channel Surfer

Sadly, no. Because these were accounts added via the Roku signup process, there was none of the traditional login-name-and-password-creation normally required for such accounts. As a result, I discovered to my dismay that it is impossible to delete ANY new so-called "direct subscription" acquired in this manner, through the usual channels. 

How so? When you go to the company website (e.g., Discovery+ as I did), there is no established user account: my email address was not recognized when I tried to send a password reset. Setting up a new account is redundant--there already is an existing account I am trying to *eliminate*. Unfortunately, there are other accounts with the same problem I've found (Sling, Fubu, etc.) I am going to have to figure out how to remove. Ugh.

0 Kudos
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

@lrm100 Login to your Roku account on a computer or phone.  Go to manage subscriptions.  From what you described your subscriptions should appear and you can unsubscribe there.

0 Kudos
lrm100
Channel Surfer

So-called "direct subscriptions" are not included among those listed on my account. The Roku rep confirmed this is policy.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@lrm100, are there any subscriptions listed when you check your subscriptions at https://my.roku.com ?  Maybe it's just under a different title/description?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
mattwmc
Reel Rookie

Having the same problem and can't cancel my subscription. What is the fix?

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hi @mattwmc 

Thanks for the post.

Could you tell us more about the issue you're experiencing? How did you try to cancel your subscription? Please let us know. We'd like to know more about how we can help.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
lrm100
Channel Surfer

It's a nightmare. Roku was no help. The smiling rep just referred me to a phone line for Discovery that never has a human answering it. There is no way to 'log in to your account' online, because there is no established account (it was setup by Roku). My email address is not acknowledged. There is no way on the tv itself to turn it off. Considering a complaint to the FCC.

0 Kudos
lrm100
Channel Surfer

No, it is not listed there.

0 Kudos