Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gardnor

iPhone Unable to Connect to Roku Express 3960X, Android Phone Works Fine

A few months ago, I purchased a Roku Express, Model 3960X, and connected it to an older non-smart TV. Initially, everything worked smoothly with my iPhone 8 Plus and Spectrum Internet.

I could easily cast YouTube videos without any issues. However, recently I've encountered a problem where my iPhone no longer detects the Roku device.

I use the roku app on both the iphone and an old android phone. 

Interestingly, the Android Roku app can connect without any problems, but the iphone shows "No devices found". I've tried resetting all settings after contacting Roku support, which temporarily solved the issue, but now the problem has returned.

I have a few locally saved videos on my MacBook ranging from 200 MB to 450 MB that I want to cast and watch on my TV.

Could anyone suggest why my iPhone is having trouble connecting to the Roku Stick now, and what I might do to resolve this issue? 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuEmmanuel-D
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: iPhone Unable to Connect to Roku Express 3960X, Android Phone Works Fine

Welcome, @gardnor.

Thanks for your first post here in the Roku Community!

We understand that you're having difficulty casting your Roku to your iPhone. We're here to take a closer look at it.

To isolate the problem you're experiencing, we need some additional information to begin investigating:

• Have you received any updates recently? If so, can you please provide us with the software version of your Roku?
  • Can you please specify exactly what you are trying to do? 

In the meantime, try rebooting your Roku device by navigating to Settings > System > System restart.

With additional information, we can provide an accurate solution.

Please keep us posted for more updates.

All the best,
Emman

Emmanuel-D.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: iPhone Unable to Connect to Roku Express 3960X, Android Phone Works Fine

If Spectrum is your ISP and they provide the modem/router, then they have the ability to change settings in the router. It sounds like they might have enabled WiFi security that blocks connected devices from seeing each other.

I don't know if that's a setting that Spectrum will allow you to change on your own. I have Comcast, and they blocked me from the majority of the settings in my modem. I finally got fed up and put the modem in bridge mode and installed my own firewall/router, which I can fully control and Comcast can't touch.

I also have to point out how old your iPhone 8 is, and it might not support the latest updates for screen mirroring/casting. iOS 16.7.8 is the last version update your phone will ever get.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.