Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pgw8706
Reel Rookie

Will my Roku Ultra ethernet connection benefit with Cat6

Jump to solution

Is there any benefit to run Cat 6 to my Roku Ultra 4800RW or does it need only Cat 5e? Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
andyross
Roku Guru

Re: Will my Roku Ultra ethernet connection benefit with Cat6

Jump to solution

It shouldn't make a difference. The Ultra only has 100Mbit Ethernet, as it's designed for Internet streaming, where even 4K maxes out around 25Mbit.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

It shouldn't make a difference. The Ultra only has 100Mbit Ethernet, as it's designed for Internet streaming, where even 4K maxes out around 25Mbit.

pgw8706
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply. I was expecting there was no benefit to the upgraded wire for the reasons you state. Was looking for the confirmation. But since the cost for the Cat 6 wire is just a few $ more than 5e, that is what I plan to pull for the dedicated drop to the Roku. Never know what the future may bring.

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Nothing wrong with Cat6 for a permanent run, and generally recommended. I was just thinking it was about a short run like wall to device.

Just be a bit careful about going too cheap. The longer the run, the better quality cable you need, not just Cat type.

0 Kudos
mdmcgrory

Jump to solution

I guess this is moot by now, but I got a 1GB internet, with a 5E ethernet cable, been a Roku customer for a decade... wireless it was 240+ mbs... after setting it up with the cable went down to 60mbs. So I got a category 6 Ethernet cable, installed that, went down to 30mbs.

Tried it multiple times, on multiple Roku's in different rooms. The 6 cable was 1/2 half the speer of 5e cable (15Mbs), the Wireless was an order of magnitude higher. If anybody else has experienced this or knows why would appreciate comments. 

Router: Spectrum 6, service  1GB. Been on Spectrum 2 days ago, got 240mbs on the Roku. Different modem, router, and plan .. wireless fine, ethernet cable with 5e is about 60mbs, with 6cable 30 mbs. Roku's are 4660x.

0 Kudos
mdmcgrory

Jump to solution

By the way, my other devices show 700+ mbs, so it's possible to get that from the router. I mean I guess it doesn't matter, I don't have a 4K TV, but I don't know...

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

The Roku speed test is not the best and isn't always reliable. My Ultra on Ethernet shows 91, which is about right. An Express 4K+ on WiFi is 157.

0 Kudos