Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hetzi
Reel Rookie

Will Express units support 5Mhz?

I have in total six devices connected to an EERO mesh router. For some reason, two of the devices, which both have Roku Express units hooked up to them are only receiving 2.4 MHz. My question is, do the Express units only support 2.4? I have had the internet service provider do a firmware update and then told me to reboot, and that didn't work either. I called EERO and he didn't have a direct answer for me. He basically said to make sure that the devices were within reasonable distance of the router. What doesn't make sense is my roommate, who's TV is a fire stick, and my TV which is the express, are both the same distance from the router which is less than 20 ft away. The living room TV which is about 8 ft away from the router is the other unit that is only receiving 2.4 MHz. It makes only sense to me that these Express units only support 2.4 megahertz. However, my mother who lives in a different city then I do, has the same problem with Philo, and only file, you may watch for an hour or two and towards the end of the show and it always happens towards the end of the show, it freezes up and then it goes to the Roku home screen. She has the Roku streaming Stick which is an upgrade from the express. So I am confused as to why Philo and it's only Philo none of the other streaming apps are affected. I was told that my internet service was maybe too slow, however I have 200 MB service. The internet provider had me do a test with speed test.net and it turned out that my download speed was around 70 MB and my upload was around 50. And that was doing it for my phone, and then she told me to go to the computer and try it again and it was about the same. She explained to me that since these two devices were not connecting to the 5 megahertz band, that's why the connection was slow. If anybody has answers for me concerning this issue, please let me know! I would really appreciate it! Craig

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Will Express units support 5Mhz?

@Hetzi 

The new Roku Express HD (model 3960) is dual band 2.4ghz and 5ghz.  

Previous models of the Roku Express are 2.4ghz only.

You can see your model number by going to Settings/System/About on your Roku device.

-----

The current lineup of Roku products that you can see at https://www.roku.com/products/players are all now dual-band capable.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Strega2
Roku Guru

Yes, model numbers are better than names like “Express” which get used across multiple models in multiple generations.  However, it’s likely that your Expresses are 2.4 GHz-only and that’s probably just fine because they are also probably HD-only.  Typical Netflix HD streaming needs around 5Mbps.

I know nothing of Philo, but typically, when one channel/app is affected, it’s the channel/app.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

I can add that even for 4K, you only need about 16-25Mbit or so.

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.