Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BandM

Intermittently Losing Internet Connection

Jump to solution

I have 2 Roku devices and a Roku tv.  The Roku Express 4K Model 3940X started losing the internet connection several days ago.  Everything else stays connected (Roku tv, Roku 3900X, security system).  First time it happened, I tried the reconnect process several times and that didn't work so I unplugged Roku, waited a minute or two then plugged it back in and it booted up and connected to internet just fine.  Went through same process the next time.  Last couple times it has dropped out I just do the unplug, wait, reconnect process.  It has worked every time.  This Roku sits about 3' away from the router so I don't think that's an issue.  It's getting very aggravating, so I need to fix it.  Any help would be appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Intermittently Losing Internet Connection

Jump to solution

Hi, @BandM 

Welcome to the Roku community.

We understand the issue you have encountered with your Roku Express 4K, wherein it requires to be unplugged every time it's powered on for it to connect to the internet, and we're here to assist.

For this concern, we recommend performing the series of troubleshooting steps provided below to address the issue. Kindly follow those in-order to get the best results.

Network Connection Reset

1. Press Home on your Roku remote.
  2. Scroll and select Settings.
  3. Select Advanced system settings.
  4. Select Network connection reset.
  5. Select Reset connection.
  6. Re-enter the credentials on your network.

Restart Roku Device

Use the following steps to restart your streaming device from the Settings menu.

1. Press Home on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select System
  4. Select Power. If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.
  5. Select System restart
  6. How to restart your modem and router

Restart your modem and router.

1. Unplug both your modem and router from power
  2. Wait 10 seconds and then plug them back in
  3. Wait for your modem and router to fully restart
  4. Use a phone, tablet, or computer to confirm the internet connection is working
  5. Test the connection on your Roku device

For more detailed information and guides, you can visit this support article on How to fix internet errors and issues on your Roku streaming device

Hope this helps, and keep us posted if you have further concerns or inquiries.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @BandM 

Welcome to the Roku community.

We understand the issue you have encountered with your Roku Express 4K, wherein it requires to be unplugged every time it's powered on for it to connect to the internet, and we're here to assist.

For this concern, we recommend performing the series of troubleshooting steps provided below to address the issue. Kindly follow those in-order to get the best results.

Network Connection Reset

1. Press Home on your Roku remote.
  2. Scroll and select Settings.
  3. Select Advanced system settings.
  4. Select Network connection reset.
  5. Select Reset connection.
  6. Re-enter the credentials on your network.

Restart Roku Device

Use the following steps to restart your streaming device from the Settings menu.

1. Press Home on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select System
  4. Select Power. If you do not see a Power submenu, skip to the next step.
  5. Select System restart
  6. How to restart your modem and router

Restart your modem and router.

1. Unplug both your modem and router from power
  2. Wait 10 seconds and then plug them back in
  3. Wait for your modem and router to fully restart
  4. Use a phone, tablet, or computer to confirm the internet connection is working
  5. Test the connection on your Roku device

For more detailed information and guides, you can visit this support article on How to fix internet errors and issues on your Roku streaming device

Hope this helps, and keep us posted if you have further concerns or inquiries.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Hel1

Jump to solution

I've tried all solutions and my RCA Roku TV still not connecting to my network and the TV keeps restarting. How can this be fixed. Please advise 

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @Hel1 

Welcome to the Roku Community.

Thanks for sharing your concern here with us regarding the network connection problem you've experienced with your RCA Roku TV, and we're here to help.

We'd recommend unplugging your Roku TV from the power source for one minute and plugging it back in to see any improvements after the power cycle. Additionally, try to connect to your mobile hotspot to see if you're able to maintain a connection. If your Roku TV connects successfully, the issue might be rooted in your network.

Please keep us posted on what you find out.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
TR10
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Is there not a fix/setting within Roku that you do not have to continuously restart your modem or router to fix the connection issue? I have 3 Roku devices and this seems to now be happening weekly with all 3 Rokus but all other devices in my home have not had internet connection issues (phones, tv, firestick, tablet, PlayStation, laptop). This is annoying when these Rokus are the only devices constantly having connection issues. I do not want to reboot my WiFi each week. I will consider switching to different streaming devices going forward if there is not going to be a fix for this.

TR10
Reel Rookie

WiFi and Roku Device Connection Issues

Jump to solution

My Roku devices constantly say “not connected” although my WiFi signal is strong. Is there not a fix/setting within Roku that you do not have to continuously restart your modem or router to fix the internet connection issue? I have 3 Roku devices and this seems to now be happening weekly with all 3 Rokus but all other devices in my home have not had internet connection issues (phones, tv, firestick, tablet, PlayStation, laptop).

0 Kudos
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: WiFi and Roku Device Connection Issues

Jump to solution

Hello! @TR10,

Thank you for your post in the Roku Community!

We appreciate you reaching out to us about your Roku device's issue connecting to your Wi-Fi. We're pleased to assist.

Did we recently make any changes to your network or network provider?

Try selecting the 2.4 GHz band of your network for all your Roku devices and see if the connection stabilizes. If so, it could just be an interference/strength issue. Try changing the Wireless Mode under the router settings for the 2.4ghz band to b/g/n.

You can connect your streaming device to a mobile hotspot as a temporary workaround to ensure there is no issue with your device.

For additional troubleshooting steps, please refer to How to Resolve Internet Errors and Issues on your Roku streaming device.

Suppose the previous steps did not fix your internet connection issue, and you are comfortable working with networking equipment. In that case, you can visit the article with advanced troubleshooting tips and networking features.

Thanks,
Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos