Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sarahthompson
Reel Rookie

Trouble Connecting Roku Express to College Wi-Fi with Authentication?

Jump to solution

I'm having trouble connecting my Roku Express to my college Wi-Fi network, which uses a dorm/hotel authentication system. The Roku connects to the network but doesn't allow me to complete the authentication process. When I select the Wi-Fi network on the Roku, it prompts for the dorm/hotel credentials, but the browser on my phone, which I use to enter these credentials, fails to launch or says there’s no connection. All other devices connect to the network without issues. Could you provide guidance on how to resolve this authentication problem with Roku? For context, our setup is somewhat similar to fominsoap.com, where users need to connect to specific networks with additional credentials. Any advice on how to get past this authentication step would be greatly appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuReynan-L
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Trouble Connecting Roku Express to College Wi-Fi with Authentication?

Jump to solution

Hi, @sarahthompson.

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We'd be more than happy to assist you with connecting your Roku Express to your internet.

To connect your streaming device to your internet, you may follow these steps: 

1. Press the Home button on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select Network
  4. Select Set Up connection
  5. Select Wireless
  6. From the list of available networks, choose the wireless network for the hotel or college dorm.
    If you do not see the network, select Scan again to see all networks.
  7. After your Roku device connects to the network, select I am at a hotel or college dorm.
    Note: You have several minutes to authenticate. If the network setup times out, select Try again to initiate the connection again.

After the connection is authenticated, your Roku device will return to the Network menu. The Network name should match the network for the hotel or college dorm, and the Status should say Connected.

If the issue persists, try it on a different browser, a different phone, or a different computer.

For more information, you can visit this support article: How to use Hotel and Dorm Connect to connect to the internet

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Reynan

Reynan L.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
RokuReynan-L
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Trouble Connecting Roku Express to College Wi-Fi with Authentication?

Jump to solution

Hi, @sarahthompson.

Greetings from the Roku Community!

We'd be more than happy to assist you with connecting your Roku Express to your internet.

To connect your streaming device to your internet, you may follow these steps: 

1. Press the Home button on your Roku remote
  2. Scroll and select Settings
  3. Select Network
  4. Select Set Up connection
  5. Select Wireless
  6. From the list of available networks, choose the wireless network for the hotel or college dorm.
    If you do not see the network, select Scan again to see all networks.
  7. After your Roku device connects to the network, select I am at a hotel or college dorm.
    Note: You have several minutes to authenticate. If the network setup times out, select Try again to initiate the connection again.

After the connection is authenticated, your Roku device will return to the Network menu. The Network name should match the network for the hotel or college dorm, and the Status should say Connected.

If the issue persists, try it on a different browser, a different phone, or a different computer.

For more information, you can visit this support article: How to use Hotel and Dorm Connect to connect to the internet

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Reynan

Reynan L.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.