Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aramis14

Re: Roku should include a gigabit Ethernet port

Actually no.you need slightily over 100 Mbps for 4k HDR, watch vincent teohs chanel on youtube

andyross
Roku Guru

That is only for LOCAL streaming. For INTERNET streaming, you don't need anything more than 20-25Mbit.

wb6vpm
Binge Watcher

@andyross For the five millionth time, yes, we are aware that it mainly affects local media users. No one is disputing it.

This is exactly what we are talking about when we are discussing the issue saying that when we try to stream high bitrate 4K HDR/DV local content which can run into the mid 100’s, we run into issues with the devices having a 10/100 port only as it saturates the link, and keeps buffering. Wifi isn’t always the panacea that these companies tend to think it is , because most devices are still wifi 5, and even streaming devices that have wifi 6, it still requires a new AP that supports 6 in order to be able to use the faster speeds. 

0 Kudos
andyross
Roku Guru

And again, the Roku is primarily designed for INTERNET streaming. If you want to stream local media at 4K+, then get something like the Nvidia Shield. It costs more, but that is one of the reasons why. It has the power and capabilities for that.

Don't try to use a Volkswagen Beetle to race at the Indy 500.

BamBam3000
Reel Rookie

Beside $.50 difference in price of 10/100 vs. GbE. what would be the advantage of 10/100 when every home rougher in the market is Gb now. give me a choice and I am more than willing to pay for it. that is all everyone is saying. 

OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

@BamBam3000  If you need player with a gigabit port, you need to buy an apple TV device.

0 Kudos
BartAllen

That's a great response. "Want to do what you intend? Buy something else" You should be in marketing 

OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

@BartAllenof course the customer always will be present with opinions that are not always a Roku device or a Roku product made a manufacturer like Westinghouse or Hisense. Roku is not a one size fit all device kind of company.

0 Kudos
ragnarlb

Roku is simply not just for streaming across the internet.  A lot of people have their own media servers on their home networks with true 4K .mkv files.  Most of my 2,000+ Plex movies are ripped in that format and my whole home internet is running gigabit internet with CAT7 cable. 

If I want to stream a 4K movie from my Plex server running on my NAS guess where the bottle neck is ... yep, the 10/100 Roku device.

ragnarlb

That's what my PLEX server running on my NAS is exactly doing.

0 Kudos