Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MegaLeachy
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku express no longer finds or connects to wifi

I am with all the others complaining! I have had my devices FOREVER!  How can they suddenly stop working?  It does not matter what I've tried.  i am sure I have an internet connection.  Yet my network does not show up in the list.  Some days it does, some days it doesn't.  I am tired of spending my days fooling around with this.  I am going to complain to the Better Business Bureau that Roku is stalling and not giving us the real reason that suddenly devices that have been working, stop.  They need to correct the problem.

I am one angry customer.

Shame on Roku.   Serial Number 507P41CYE84F Express 4K+ Dodel 3941X

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@MegaLeachy 

Since you have the Roku Express 4k+ (3941), you can use either the 2.4ghz or 5ghz band of your network.

Go into your router settings (either via the login portal or ISP mobile app if available) and verify that your 2.4ghz band wireless settings are using a "wireless channel" between 1 and 11 (with 1, 6, or 11 preferred).  Additionally on the 2.4ghz band, verify that the "wireless mode" is configured to use b/g/n.

On the 5ghz band, verify that you are using a wireless channel 36-48, or 149-161.  If you are using "Auto" with your 5ghz wireless channels, you need to verify that your router is not using DFS channels (52-140) as Roku cannot see or use DFS channels currently.

----

If your Roku devices are seeing your neighbors networks and not yours, it indicates that your network is not, or no longer, configured correctly to use with Roku.  The intermittent working of your Roku seems to reinforce that your Roku is currently using Auto settings and is likely using g/n, rather than b/g/n on the 2.4ghz band (which is necessary to change if using a cable ISP like Cox, Comcast/Xfinity, or ATT), and that your router may be configured to use DFS on the 5ghz band.

-----

Feel free to post back with router model number and ISP (internet service provider) if the above is not applicable to your or you are still having issues.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
dsparrow330
Reel Rookie

I spoke with tech support today. I was told to wait 24 hours and try again. 

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Hello @dsparrow330

Thanks for your first post in the Roku Community!

We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you. Kindly keep us posted on what you find out after you attempt the process at a later time. 

If you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
dsparrow330
Reel Rookie

I waited 24 hours like recommended by Roku tech support and it still will not connect to my wifi. 

0 Kudos
ellianajames7
Reel Rookie

First, try forgetting the Wi-Fi network on the Roku express devices and then reconnecting to it. To do this, go to Settings > Network > Set up connection > Wireless > Scan again to find your network > Select your network > Enter your Wi-Fi password.

If that doesn't work, try changing the Wi-Fi channel on your router. It's possible that there is interference on the current channel that is preventing the Roku devices from connecting. You can usually do this in your router's settings.

Another thing to try is to disable any firewall or security software on your router temporarily and see if the Roku devices can connect! If they can, then you may need to adjust your router's settings to allow the Roku devices to connect.

Finally, if none of these solutions work, it's possible that the latest Roku update caused the issue. You may need to wait for a new update or contact Roku support directly to see if they have a solution.

I hope this helps!

0 Kudos
MegaLeachy
Reel Rookie

When I read that people have actually reconfigured their router and still have the same problem I a become even angrier.  Hasn’t Roku ever heard of error handling coding? 

0 Kudos
ChippyTech
Streaming Star

You appear to have done all possible on your end to troubleshoot the problem. Because the Roku Express devices can connect to your mobile hotspot but not to your home WiFi network, it's likely that they're incompatible with your router or that there's a compatibility issue between the devices and your Wi-Fi network.

You could try contacting Roku customer service through their website or social media channels to see if they can help you further. They might be able to provide further troubleshooting methods or forward the problem to their engineering team for further examination. If the problem cannot be fixed, they may be able to provide a replacement device.

0 Kudos
THopkins1

I too have been the same issues no connection to internet and I upgraded my router last week 

0 Kudos
-ComputerMan-
Reel Rookie

Roku Doesnt Stay Connected To New Arris G36 Surfboard Modem/Router Combo

I just bought a new Arris G36 surfboard modem/rouer combo, & set it up 4 days ago......the internet on my laptop & phones in the house work great, no problems at all. The problems I am having are with the two Rokus I have connected to my two tvs. 

I set up both Rokus & everything worked fine on the tvs for that day, but the following morning I turn on both tvs & it says no internet connection.......then I try to connect Roku to the wireless internet but it cant, so I have to restart both Rokus, & once they restart, both Rokus & tvs are working again for the entire day, no disconnect or disruptions until the following morning again, same problem.

For whatever reason, every morning I have to restart the Rokus to connect to the internet.......my question is, where does the problem lay? With the Roku products, or the new Arris G36 modem/router?

The Rokus are 3 years old, but work great with my 3 year old Arris modem/router I replaced......so im thinking the problem is the Arris G36......& im thinking of taking it back to Best Buy & purchasing a Netgear.

Any & all information would be greatly appreciated to solve the Roku connectivity problem to the Arris G36.

The Roku Express model# 3931RW

The other Roku is not an express......but both worked great with the 3 year old Arris modem/router

Reason I bought the Arris G36 is I wanted faster speed for download/upload

Also wanted to mention the Arris G36 gives you a choice of 5G or standard or both when using my laptop of cellphone, & im assuming it go in between the closer I am to the modem/router.

The Roku doesnt give me a choice in the WLAN list, its just standard I have to choose. Seeing my network is never the issue, its there, for whatever reason, both Rokus disconnect overnight. 

(Fixed the problem by buying new Roku stick 4k with both 2.4 & 5g available as internet connections......lets see if this works for a while, but for now, all is good)
0 Kudos