Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BobCobb
Reel Rookie

Roku Express not working anymore - Tried a new Roku Streaming Stick 4k and still not working

My son has a TP-Link Archer C80 Router that works very well on all his devices in his apartment.  He has had a Roku Express hooked up since last June and all has been working fine. Recently, channels will no longer load.  Checked the network diagnostics on Roku and signal strength is still Excellent.  Router is in the same room as the Roku.  The Roku Express only brings up the regular network and not the 5G option.  I read the same threads here and decided to get him a Roku Streaming Stick 4K.  This Roku does recognize his 5G option.  I hooked it up but still the same problem.  Signal strength is excellent yet channels won't load. Getting an error that it can't find the network.  I tried resetting everything but no luck.  Any ideas on how to get it to work would be appreciated!!  I have several Rokus at my home and have never had any problems with them.

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Re: Roku Express not working anymore - Tried a new Roku Streaming Stick 4k and still not working

Hello @BobCobb 

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Could you tell us how are you powering your Roku device? Is it connected to the USB port of the TV or to a wall outlet? In some cases, the USB power provided by the TV is not sufficient to power the device. Even though your Roku device may appear to be working, running with insufficient power can lead to instability, crashing, and other unpredictable behavior.

Using the included power cord and power adapter, we suggest plugging your Roku into a working power outlet in the wall. Powering it through a power outlet in the wall has the additional advantage that your Roku player will not need to power up every time you turn on your TV. This means your Roku player will be up and running faster than it would be connected to a TV.

Let us know if there's any difference after.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
BobCobb
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Express not working anymore - Tried a new Roku Streaming Stick 4k and still not working

I did hook up the streaming stick with the included power cord and it is plugged into a wall socket.

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

@BobCobb

Thanks for the response.

We would like to suggest some troubleshooting steps that might help resolve the issue. Could you try to connect the device directly to the router and see if it helps? If your router and Roku device both support 5GHz, make sure it is enabled in the router settings and try connecting to the 5GHz wireless network (e.g., MyNetwork_5GHz). You may also try restarting your router and Roku device then try again. 

To help troubleshoot the issue further, follow this link: How to connect your Roku streaming device to the internet using Wi-Fi or Ethernet

Keep us posted on the result of the steps you have taken to resolve the problem. 

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Is your router set up to use a unique network name (CCID) for each the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands?  With distinct names each should show separately on dual-band Roku models and allow you to select your choice.  Single band Rokus will only "see" and connect to the 2.4 GHz band.

Wifi router setup for 2.4 GHz Roku connection:

• Be sure it is set to use b/g/n connection parameters, not just g/n.
  • Rokus support channels 1-11 in the 2.4 GHz WiFi band, as are used in North America. If your router supports 2.4 GHz channels outside this range (12-14 are used in some other regions) make sure your router is set to use a channel in this range and that you aren't using an auto setting that could select a channel outside this range.

Wifi router setup for 5 GHz Roku connection:

• The 5 GHz channels supported by Roku devices are 36-48, and 149-165.  Rokus and many other home devices do not support the "DFS" channels in between.  Many home routers don't include DFS channels, but some do.  Make sure your router is not using these DFS channels, and that it is not using an auto select option that could choose a DFS channel.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
BobCobb
Reel Rookie

Thank you for your reply.  I checked the connection and the channels for the regular and 5G options were both in the ranges you mentioned.  

I got Peacock to work for a couple of hours this morning using the 5G option on the 4K streaming stick.  Once I got out of that it went back to not working again. Very frustrating.

I rebooted the internet.  I did a full system reboot on the Roku stick,  I reentered the account email address and set up the network connection.   Back to the original problem.  Internet signal is excellent but most apps won't load.  If they do load, shows an error of "can't reconnect with the network".  When I test the connection sometimes it shows connected to the internet and sometimes it shows no connection.  The router works fine with all other devices in the apartment - Laptops, PS5, Cell Phones, etc.  Less than a month ago Roku work too.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @BobCobb,

Thanks for letting us know all that you've done. We appreciate the troubleshooting steps you've done so far.

After checking all the posts, it sounds like your Roku device may be having trouble connecting to your home network using the 5 GHz channel. Please provide us with the serial number of your Roku device by going to Settings > System > About or SN/Device ID found printed on the side/back of the device and I'll have our support team reach out directly to assist you further.

We look forward to hearing from you and assisting you with your needs. Thank you!

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
BobCobb
Reel Rookie

Mary - Thank you very much for your reply.  I tried my son's Roku 4K Stick today and everything works fine.  I don't think he or I did anything new to it.  It just works now :).  I might go out and buy a lottery ticket.  Thanks again for your and the communities support.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @BobCobb,

Thanks for the update!

We're glad to know it's working now! Happy Streaming!

Please let us know if there's anything else we can help you with.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos