Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stubee260

Roku Express Overheating Model 3920x

I have a Roku Express model 3920X that is constantly showing the message "your device is overheating". I go through the procedures for disconnecting the unit and letting it cool down. After letting it cool down for about 30 minutes I plug the unit back in and after watching for about an hour I get the overheating message again. The unit is not in an enclosed space and does not sit on top of any other electronics. It sits in a well ventilated area. With the constant overheating problem, is this an indication that the unit is failing and its time to get a new one?

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku Express Overheating Model 3920x

Probably.  You might want to try a different USB power adapter and/or cable.  I've mentioned before that the 3920 is by far the worst Roku device I've ever owned (and I've owned most of them).  I got more life out of mine by taking it out of its case.  It still has terrible Wi-Fi reception, but it's working if you don't mind a naked Roku. 

By the way, the 3920 isn't an Express, it's a Premiere, but you'd be hard pressed to tell them apart by looking at them.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
RokuArjiemar
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku Express Overheating Model 3920x

Hi! @stubee260,

Thank you for reaching out to the Roku Community!

How are you powering your Roku device?

Please provide us with your Roku device's serial number.

Please keep us posted on what you find out, and we will be more than happy to continue assisting you further. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,

Arjiemar

Arjiemar
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos