Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Factory reset, no remote, cannot connect

So, I factory reset my Roku. I've been using my phone Roku app for the remote. Now I can't add a new wifi or add the old one either. My phone and the Roku will not pair or connect to the wifi. 

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Factory reset, no remote, cannot connect

Hi @Demolitionlovee,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We want to assure you that we understand your situation and want nothing more than to help you. Have you tried troubleshooting your Roku remote by re-pairing it or changing the batteries to see if it's working? For more information on the steps to troubleshoot your Roku remote, kindly refer to this link: How to fix your Roku voice or simple remote that is not working

In the meantime, it's a good option to purchase a new remote if your Roku remote is not working after attempting to troubleshoot it. You can browse for Roku remotes at this link: Roku Remote

Please keep us posted on what you find out.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Factory reset, no remote, cannot connect

@Demolitionlovee-

@Demolitionlovee wrote:

So, I factory reset my Roku. I've been using my phone Roku app for the remote. Now I can't add a new wifi or add the old one either. My phone and the Roku will not pair or connect to the wifi. 

The Roku app on your phone can only connect to a Roku that is on the same network as the phone.  When you did the factory reset you wiped out the network connection info on the Roku, so it's not connected to your network and the phone can't connect to it. 

The only way you can set it up now is with a physical remote that is compatible with your Roku model.  You didn't mention what Roku model you have so here's more information than you need, to cover all the bases:

Which type of remote you need depends on which type of Roku you have.

ROKU DEVICES -- All Roku streaming devices (other than Roku Streaming Stick models) will respond to the same set of infrared (IR) commands. The Roku "Simple Remote" is one such remote. You can purchase it from Roku (https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/player#Remotes) or other retailers. Similar Simple Remote clones are also available from 3rd party manufacturers, although some of them may be fairly shoddy - be sure you buy from an outket with a friendly return policy. You can also use any inexpensive universal remote you find online or locally at Walmart or a dollar store that says it is compatible with Roku devices.  (Remotes for Roku TVs wont work with Roku devices.) These IR remotes will work as long has you have a direct line of sight to the Roku.

ROKU TV -- TVs which have Roku functions built in are sold by several manufacturers. The manufacturer-supplied remotes control via IR. These TVs have their own set of IR command signals and DO NOT respond to the universal IR remotes for separate Roku streaming devices mentioned above unless they explicitly mention Roku TVs. Make sure any universal remote says it controls ROKU TV, not just ROKU. To be sure of compatibility see if you can find one that mentions ROKU TV from your set's manufacturer.

ROKU STREAMING STICKS -- Roku Streaming Sticks are usually used out of sight behind the TV where IR can't reach so they do not use IR and can ONLY be controlled by a point-anywhere WiFi-direct remote.  That means you need one of the Roku Voice Remotes (see below). 

VOICE REMOTES -- All current Roku devices, including Streaming Sticks, and Roku TVs, and most older ones, can use one of the Roku point-anywhere "Voice Remotes" that control the Roku via WiFi-remote (see compatibility chart on this page: https://support.roku.com/article/360010940514). These remotes must be paired to the particular Roku unit it will control. You can purchase from Roku (https://www.roku.com/products/accessories/player#Remotes) or from many online and local retailers.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.