Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: New router, new problems with my Roku device

Jump to solution

Hi @JenniferK,

From the Roku Community, a warm welcome and thanks for letting us know!

We'd be more than happy to investigate this issue further. Can you please provide the following information?

• Are you getting any error messages or codes?
  • Could you elaborate more about the troubleshooting steps that you have taken so far?

We'll wait for your response.

Thanks,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JenniferK
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks @RokuJohnB 

I have a 3920RW - Roku Premiere that is the one having issues. 

Similarly to what the OP posted, my ISP (AT&T) recently had me change out the router for my home internet (DSL). The password to connect did not change, and I did not have this issue prior to the changeout.

I am getting Error 009 when I attempt to connect to my wifi. I AM able to connect without error via the AT&T hotspot on my phone without issues. But of course that is a limited option, I can't keep it connected for an extended time.

I have restarted the router and the Roku (multiple times), and even tried a factory reset on the Roku. 

I confirmed that 2.4 and 5 GHz are available, the router is on channel 1. and has b/g/n mode

Software version is 12.5.5 build 4174-91.

I also have a Roku Sound bar that is not having any issues.

Please let me know what other information you need.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @JenniferK,

Thanks for the response!

We appreciate the troubleshooting steps you have taken and your effort in resolving the issue. Let's try these quick steps by navigating to Settings > Advanced system settings > Network connection reset > Reset connection. Also, make sure to restart your router and then try to reconnect your device.

Please keep us posted on how it works for you.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JenniferK
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hello @RokuJechealR 

As I believe had previously mentioned, I did go through those steps multiple times. But I did try them again, just in case something had somehow changed. Still no success. 

What next?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
JenniferK
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@RokuJechealR

I wanted to add that subsequent to my last message, I used my Hotspot to temporarily connect the device. As I previously noted, I can do this for short dureations,  but it can't be my permanent fix.

I did see an update to Software version 13.0.0 build 24056-91. I completed that update. I then tried to connect to the wifi, and still nothing.

I also went again through the processes of resetting after that update as in your previous message again, and still nothing. 

Thanks! 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@JenniferK 

I am having trouble currently locating Roku's support article regarding devices that do not support IPv6, but I think I remember that the 3920/3921 may have been excluded.

From your other postings, you indicated that you had AT&T, verified that the 2.4ghz is working, and is configured to use wireless mode/protocol b/g/n, and is capable of connecting to a hotspot. (remember, your 3920 is a 2.4ghz-only device so the 5ghz band will be unavailable.  All changes and configuration will be limited to the 2.4 ghz band).

The only two things that would next come to mind is to check that the router is configured to use both IPv4 and IPv6.  (generally located under setup or DNS options in routers). 

If the above is not the issue, try changing the router DNS to use Google servers (for testing) and set your DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Additionally, make sure your new router did not come with an accompanying mobile app that may have "paused" your internet connection for the 3920.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

CapMann1880
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I'm having a similar issue. I used to use a Verizon Internet Gateway--a cube that gives off its own hotspot signal. (though its more powerful than using your phone as a hotspot). No problem whatsoever using Roku.

I just signed up with and received hardware from my new ISP--Wow. They're mainly a Michigan company, I believe but they work just fine providing high speed internet. I'm using the network as I type this!!

I am getting a completely black screen with "no network available" or something that.  I never get to the Roku screen.

When I set up my router and new service, two networks popped up when I first set up the router--a 5G and one without a "G." I assume the latter is the 2.4G network. I am using that one. I read Roku doesn't necessarily place nice with 5G. That's fine.

Not quite sure what the problem is.

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

If you have a Roku model (what four-digit model number do you have?) that supports 5G, then 5G is fine.  I don’t think I’d make the assumption that the one that ends in 5 (without G) means 2.4GHz.  It could be, but it could be pretty much anything, since those SSIDs are totally flexible.  For example, the one with G added might be a Guest network.  These names can be anything you want, so I wouldn’t assume.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.