Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
operty

Issue with Roku Connection

In my new apartment, we have two network names. For some reason, one of them has a stronger connection than the other. On all of my devices, I am able to connect to the stronger, except for my Roku, which only shows the weaker network name. Even when I place a different device right next to the Roku, the Roku doesn’t even give show the stronger network as an option. Any idea what could be going on here?

Just to note, I tried a network reset on the Roku, unplugging the wifi extender, and no luck. I would really appreciate any advice!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Issue with Roku Connection

@operty-

What model and model number Roku?  Find via Settings/System/About.  Some have different WiFi capabilities than others.

For those devices connecting to the stronger network, which WiFi channel do they report they are connecting to?

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Strega2
Roku Guru

Re: Issue with Roku Connection

There are multiple ways to have two SSIDs – probably the most common is separate IDs for 2.4GHz and 5GHz.  Some Roku models only operate on 2.4GHz.  (Though in the simple case I just mentioned, that would nearly always be the stronger signal – though perhaps not the highest bandwidth signal.)

However, at end you dropped another way into the story.  A Wi-Fi extender may have separate or same SSID(s) from the main router (or the same ones) and may be on the same band or a different one from the signal it is receiving.  The main router could have the same SSID for multiple bands, but the extender may be configured differently.

In any case, all those options, plus the fact the some more basic Rokus only operate at 2.4GHz, is probably your explanation.  (Which is why @makaiguy wanted to know what model you have.)

Banned but back. Because why not?