Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ALLEEDE

Does Backdrops use wifi when it’s on

Jump to solution

I have a TCL Roku TV. Love the new Backdrops feature! So I  select a picture.While that picture is being displayed, does this continue to use WiFi just as if I’m watching a show or YouTube? IOW, does this count towards my data usage? (I don’t have cable where I live. I use an AT&T hotspot with unlimited data)

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuMaryEF
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Does Backdrops use wifi when it’s on

Jump to solution

Hi there!

Welcome to the Roku Community! We're glad to hear you're enjoying our new Backdrops feature.

Regarding your question about WiFi usage on your TCL Roku TV, Backdrops does require a network connection to load and display images.

To minimize bandwidth consumption:

• Adjust Display Duration: Set Backdrops by going to Backdrops App > Settings > Image Duration to change images less frequently. Consider changing them once a day or even less.

Screenshot 2024-09-12 051116.png

• Use a reliable WiFi Connection: Ensure your TV is connected to a reliable and high-speed WiFi network.

By following these tips, you can significantly reduce the amount of data used by Backdrops.

For more detailed information on Roku Backdrops and its features, please refer to our support article:  How to use Backdrops on your Roku streaming devices | Official Roku Support

Thank you for being part of the Roku Community!

Best regards,
The Roku Community Team

Mary E.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
RokuMaryEF
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Does Backdrops use wifi when it’s on

Jump to solution

Hi there!

Welcome to the Roku Community! We're glad to hear you're enjoying our new Backdrops feature.

Regarding your question about WiFi usage on your TCL Roku TV, Backdrops does require a network connection to load and display images.

To minimize bandwidth consumption:

• Adjust Display Duration: Set Backdrops by going to Backdrops App > Settings > Image Duration to change images less frequently. Consider changing them once a day or even less.

Screenshot 2024-09-12 051116.png

• Use a reliable WiFi Connection: Ensure your TV is connected to a reliable and high-speed WiFi network.

By following these tips, you can significantly reduce the amount of data used by Backdrops.

For more detailed information on Roku Backdrops and its features, please refer to our support article:  How to use Backdrops on your Roku streaming devices | Official Roku Support

Thank you for being part of the Roku Community!

Best regards,
The Roku Community Team

Mary E.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos