Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CalLefty
Reel Rookie

Is my wireless network suitable for streaming on Roku devices?

Jump to solution

Hi. I currently have a TCL 43S517 RokuTV and Roku stick RC-FA1. I have internet and streaming service from Spectrum, and wish to just keep the internet and subscribe to TV streaming like YoutubeTV to save money. My wifi home network is an Netgear Orbi system that I can set up for split channels 2.4G and 5G. One of my Orbi units is right next to the TV so no range issues. Question: is my current roku stick ok or do I need to upgrade for 5Ghz? Is there any other hardware I would need? Any other issues I need to be aware of? 

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Is my wireless network suitable for streaming on Roku devices?

Jump to solution

@CalLefty wrote:

given my TCL unit is about 3+ years old, will the software support both 2.4 and 5G  to be compatible with my home network set-up? I am running the latest OS upgrade for my TV but could there be some hardware issue that would behoove me to go with the 4K streaming stick?

The OS software has nothing to do with the TV's support for 2.4 and 5GHz WiFi. If the TV has the hardware to support both bands (meaning a dual band radio), then you can use either band. If the TV only has a single band radio, then you'll only be able to use 2.4GHz. I believe most Roku TVs that are 32" or larger are dual band, but I have no data to back that up. I know I had a 24" Insignia Roku TV that only supported 2.4. But I have no experience with TCL TVs. 

If your TV only has single band WiFi, then yes a Roku player that supports both bands (such as the Stick, Express 4K+ or Ultra) would give you access to both WiFi bands. If that's really a necessity for you depends on your local WiFi saturation in the 2.4GHz band, and if you're planning on streaming 4K movies ripped from UHD discs. There's nothing available on the Internet that requires a stream speed higher than 24-30 Mbps, and 2.4GHz WiFi should support that fine. But if there's a lot of congestion on that band around your home, then having 5GHz available would be a benefit.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @CalLefty

Thanks for your first post to the Roku Community. 

We understand that you want to know the device network requirements. If you have a Roku Streaming Stick 4K the device supports network 802.11ac dual-band MIMO Wi-Fi® (2.4 GHz / 5 GHz). To learn more, visit this link: Roku Streaming Stick 4K Device

See the related support page: How to set up your Roku Streaming Stick 4K

We hope this helps. Keep us posted if you need additional help.

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
CalLefty
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks for your response however you are missing the point (unless the point was to get me to buy unneeded products). My TCL TV is already Roku ready. Is it already 802.11ac dual-band MIMO Wi-Fi® (2.4 GHz / 5 GHz) capable or do I indeed need to upgrade to  the Roku Streaming Stick 4K?

Thank you

0 Kudos
davidjazz
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

If you have all the pieces in place, just try it out. You don't need to cancel cable to see if it works for you. You can always upgrade your Roku unit later.

One thing to check before canceling cable. Don't be surprised if your standalone internet connection price rises significantly. Best to check with the cable company and get a firm price first.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@CalLefty wrote:

Thanks for your response however you are missing the point (unless the point was to get me to buy unneeded products). My TCL TV is already Roku ready. Is it already 802.11ac dual-band MIMO Wi-Fi® (2.4 GHz / 5 GHz) capable or do I indeed need to upgrade to  the Roku Streaming Stick 4K?

When you say your TV is "Roku Ready", does that mean it's running the Roku OS as its TV operating system? If not, then yes you would need a Roku player (not necessarily a Stick) to view channels available on a Roku. Every TV with HDMI ports could be considered "Roku Ready", but that doesn't mean they are a Roku TV.

If you have a Roku TV (they are manufactured by many TV makers, such as TCL), you don't need a separate Roku player. You can certainly use a Roku player on a Roku TV, but there's no benefit to doing so, other than some future upgraded device that performs better than the TV itself. Anything available on a Roku Stick (and the model number you listed is the remote model, not the Stick itself) will also be available on a Roku TV. 

Dan

0 Kudos
CalLefty
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

OK, yes it's already running the Roku OS, thanks for the confirmation. I guess the only other question is, given my TCL unit is about 3+ years old, will the software support both 2.4 and 5G  to be compatible with my home network set-up? I am running the latest OS upgrade for my TV but could there be some hardware issue that would behoove me to go with the 4K streaming stick?

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@CalLefty wrote:

given my TCL unit is about 3+ years old, will the software support both 2.4 and 5G  to be compatible with my home network set-up? I am running the latest OS upgrade for my TV but could there be some hardware issue that would behoove me to go with the 4K streaming stick?

The OS software has nothing to do with the TV's support for 2.4 and 5GHz WiFi. If the TV has the hardware to support both bands (meaning a dual band radio), then you can use either band. If the TV only has a single band radio, then you'll only be able to use 2.4GHz. I believe most Roku TVs that are 32" or larger are dual band, but I have no data to back that up. I know I had a 24" Insignia Roku TV that only supported 2.4. But I have no experience with TCL TVs. 

If your TV only has single band WiFi, then yes a Roku player that supports both bands (such as the Stick, Express 4K+ or Ultra) would give you access to both WiFi bands. If that's really a necessity for you depends on your local WiFi saturation in the 2.4GHz band, and if you're planning on streaming 4K movies ripped from UHD discs. There's nothing available on the Internet that requires a stream speed higher than 24-30 Mbps, and 2.4GHz WiFi should support that fine. But if there's a lot of congestion on that band around your home, then having 5GHz available would be a benefit.

Dan

0 Kudos
CalLefty
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

exactly the kind of info I'm looking for, thanks very much. Yes, it is the congestion issue I want to avoid. I guess without knowing if the  hardware supports both bands I'm going to have to use trial by error and upgrade to 4K stick if needed.  Most helpful, thanks!

Just found specs for my set ! 2 Band capable !!

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I think you can, 5G can provide better fell.

0 Kudos