Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
omlooper
Channel Surfer

Express 4k+ poor 5ghz connectivity

1) I'm a longtime Roku Streaming Stick+ user and those have no problem connecting to either my 2.4ghz or 5ghz network. Right now they're both connected to the 5ghz network with no problems.

2)  I have multiple phones and computers connected to both 2.4ghz and 5ghz.

3) I have a 500mb internet connection and my provider is giving an excellent signal and both

my iPhone and iPad are registering a high speed connection to 5ghz

Q) A couple of months ago I got the Express 4k+ and, until very recently, it worked fine at 5ghz. Now it's very sluggish and sometimes non responsive.

2.4ghz works fine. You're going to tell me to use the 2.4ghz, I get it. 

But, why is the 5ghz for the Express 4k+ now garbage?

Streaming Stick 12.0.0 build 4184-50

Express 4k+  12.0.0 build 4184-E4

Thanks!!!

0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Express 4k+ poor 5ghz connectivity

You're asking a tough question.  Environmental conditions can have a big effect on Wi-Fi in general.  Moving a device a matter of inches can affect things drastically.  Is your router's channel set to "Auto"?  If so, try experimenting with different 5GHz channels keeping in mind that Roku devices don't support DFS channels (i.e, choose a channel below 50 or above 150).

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
omlooper
Channel Surfer

Thanks for quick reply.

I have 2 streaming stick+ working at 5ghz no problem. In fact, one rated at 94mbps. Quick!

It's only a problem with the 4k+ which is, ostensibly, newer technology. AND, the problem is only in the last few weeks. My first 2 months of ownership of the 4k+ was fine at 5ghz.

New firmware that messed things up, maybe?

Does Roku tech support monitor this forum?

Thanks again  

0 Kudos
RokuERey
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @omlooper!

Thanks for your first post in the Roku Community!

We really do appreciate the additional details about this issue. We'd like to better understand this.

Could you tell us what error message you are seeing when trying to connect your device to a 5 GHz network? How are you powering that device? Is it directly to a wall outlet or to the TV's USB port?

With more detailed information, we'll be able to take a closer look at this.

Warm regards,

Rey

ERey.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
omlooper
Channel Surfer

1) There is no error message. Just a sluggish, low speed connection.  The 4k+ 2.4ghz connection rates at 45mbps and is satisfactory. The 4k+ 5ghz connection rates at 5mbps and is very sluggish. All apps suffer, especially DirecTV stream and Hulu. DirecTV stream will often time out. 

2) Connectivity. Note that nothing has changed in the last few years. It's a static environment with an excellent ASUS router set to auto (I don't like setting channels).

The Roku 4k+ hdmi is connected to an AV receiver, then to the small Roku box, then to a power strip. So, fully powered.

To repeat, just a few weeks ago the 5ghz was FINE. 

Has anything changed on your end?

0 Kudos
atc98092

You can look at the firmware update screen on your Roku and see when the last OS update occurred. If that doesn't match up with when your issue first appeared, then it's not likely caused by the firmware.

On 5 GHz, it can take very little to interfere with the signal. The wavelength is very tiny, and as mentioned sometimes moving the device a matter of inches can make all the difference. I run my Ultra 4800 on WiFi because it's so much faster than the wired connection. On 5 GHz, it reports about 220 Mbps, which appears to be a hardware limit of the Roku. I've tested playing videos directly from the USB port, and the Ultra cannot play a 250 Mbps video. But my Ultra is only about 3 feet away from my wireless access point. From my home office (which directly above my garage, where my other access point is located) I get 260 Mbps from the same WAP the Roku is using, while the closer access point only measures out at 160 Mbps. So sometimes it's the access point/router that has started having issues. 

As mentioned, try changing the channel, avoiding the DFS channels between 50-150. It is possible some new nearly interference is affecting your Stick more than the other devices, and a different channel might help out. If you have a computer with a WiFi card (such as a laptop), you could install a scanning program to see what nearby access points are using for channels, and find a quieter one. 

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
omlooper
Channel Surfer

1) Firmware is up to date

2) 6 other devices are connecting to 5ghz no problem. iPhones, iPad, computers, other Rokus.

3) Thanks for input but I'm not changing from "auto" to a dedicated channel. In my experience changing to a set channel is not a trivial thing and can start a cascade of other problems like with the other 6 devices that are working fine at 5ghz.

Good thing 2.4ghz is working!

0 Kudos
atc98092

Your other devices are not located in the exact physical location as the problem unit. As mentioned before, at these frequencies it can only take a movement of a few inches to make a difference. 

Could changing the channel impact other devices? Certainly possible. But it sounds more like you have an interference problem that is only impacting a specific location in your home. Odds are good a channel change will not impact the other devices. But yes, changing the channel is a trivial thing, and you can always change it back if the results are not to your liking. 

If 2.4 GHz does all you need, then by all means just use that. I would only attempt the other changes if your 2.4 experience is unsatisfactory. Stick with what works for you. 🙂

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
makaiguy

@omlooper-

@atc98092 wrote:
If you have a computer with a WiFi card (such as a laptop), you could install a scanning program to see what nearby access points are using for channels, and find a quieter one.

If you have a mobile phone or tablet you can also install a WiFi analyzer app that can show you the same information.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
omlooper
Channel Surfer

Any free wifi analyzer apps that will suggest the best channel?

iOS or Mac OS is fine.

0 Kudos