Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Roku 3600X Unable to Update Software - Error Code: 003

Jump to solution

Hi, Community users.

Thanks for posting in this thread regarding the issue you've encountered with "Unable to Update Software with the Error Code: 003.

We appreciate your efforts in taking the time to troubleshoot the issue, and we have forwarded the details you've provided to the appropriate Roku team for further investigation. 

In the meantime, we kindly ask for the information below for those who have experienced the issue as it will help us in the investigation.

• Internet Service Provider (ISP): Who do you get your internet service from (e.g., Xfinity, Spectrum)?
  • Router/Modem Brand & Model: What brand and specific model of router and modem do you have?
  • Roku Device Details:
    • Model (e.g., Roku Streaming Stick+ 4K)
    • Serial Number
    • Device ID
    • Software OS/Version (You can find this information under Settings > System > About)
    • If you have a brand new Roku device, and haven't activated it yet, you can see the serial number and model at the back of the device or on the box that it came with.
  • Tracker ID: When the connection drops, press the Home button 5 times followed by the Back button 5 times quickly. This will generate a Tracker ID. Please provide this number if possible.

We will provide an update in this thread regarding the investigation until further notice. Your patience and understanding are greatly appreciated.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Newbie81

Re: Roku Express 2024 update issue

Jump to solution

I have the same issue with Roku 4k stick that I bought a couple of years ago and I had never opened the box. However, I decided to give it to my mom so she can use her old flat screen TV like a Roku Smart TV. I tried to set it up thinking it will be a quick and easy process, but I couldn't get pass update stage. All I get is green check marks followed by Error code 003. So, I took the Roku stick with me to give it a try on my TV because I thought it might be giving the error code because of Mom's old TV, but I got the same results on my 2-year-old newer TV. I think the Roku 4k stick is faulty and unfortunately, I bought it a couple of years ago and I never opened the box until last week and I can't return it, use it, fix it, or exchange it obviously. 

That all happened last Monday on July 15, 2024, before that CrowdStrike incident occurred. I gave it another try today and nothing different happened still can't pass the "update stage" and see an error code 003 right after seeing the check marks line up.

Serial Number: 2139CC945364
Device ID: 2139CC945364
Software: Unknown 
Model: 3810X
Tracker ID: 64-294-809
Internet Service Provider: Verizon Fios
Router: Fios G1100

0 Kudos
rickoneguy
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hi, while it's good to know you are looking into this it remains that many people including myself can't use our devices. The response you have give you also gave last Tuesday, I'm guessing we will see you next Tuesday for an update?

0 Kudos
GladdenJ6

Re: Error 003 - Can't update software

Jump to solution

I have gotten the same error 003 and it won’t even switch to the Home Screen to check my WiFi. My connection is fine because everything else works and it is in the room next to my Roku. I don’t think it worked right when I got it in the first place because the volume button would only work after pushing it over and over. Will not buy another one, too frustrating!

0 Kudos
ssmm

Roku Express (Model 3900x) - Initial Setup Error -003

Jump to solution

Hi Team,

I received Roku Express Model 3900X as part of sling subscription, but has not activated it or not opened it. Now i tried to use it and i am getting 'Software update error 003'. As suggested in other blogs/posts. I tried with different wifi network, even mobile network. Changed TVs and all but still stuck in same error. Not sure as its old model its not working. 

Please suggest whether any workaround to fix this or do i need to recycle the device or any trade in/upgrades to higher model.

0 Kudos
Gabelmatt
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Issue ID-75-290-915

Internet provider- Wightman

Router-SmartRG SR400ac

Roku Premiere

device id-7j9692514675

model-4620x

0 Kudos
4urHart

Unable to update software Error Code: 003

Jump to solution

After completing a factory reset on a Roku3 streaming device, it is unable to go though the "Choose your network" screen. The device will connect to the internet (both wired and wireless), but the device is unable to update software (Error Code: 003)... thus stuck on the same screen. I have tried updating the wifi settings and restarting the router and the device... none of these options have been successful. Aside from sending the device to the trash, what other routes can make this device work again.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Unable to update software Error Code: 003

Jump to solution

@4urHart-

When the update fails to complete here are some things that some people have found to work for them. They may not be universally successful, but they are at least worth a try.  

Easiest to try, so try this first: Restart your router, even if other devices on the network are not having problems. When your router has completed its startup, try repeating your Roku setup.  

If you are powering your Roku by plugging into the USB port on the TV, try powering from house power via a USB power adapter, as some TV USB ports don't supply enough power to drive a Roku reliably.   If your Roku didn't come with an adapter, or if you don't have a Roku adapter handy, another USB power adapter you have from another device should work as long as the fine print on it says it outputs 5vdc at a minimum of 1 amp.   

Try using a different WiFi network to do the update - perhaps via a WiFi hotspot on your mobile phone or by taking it to a friend's house - and see if it will complete the startup. If successful, then redo the WiFi connection to use your intended WiFi network via Settings > Network > Set up connection.  Why this works, when it does, I haven't a clue. 

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Padawan22
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

ISP: Kinetic by Windstream

Modem: Hitron CODA-45

Router: Nokia WiFi Beacon 6

Roku Ultra

Roku Device ID: 7LC6A8021240

Tracker ID: 40-283-796

0 Kudos
cfk
Channel Surfer

Re: Error 003 - Can't update software

Jump to solution
  • Internet Service Provider (ISP): Race Communications
  • Router/Modem Brand & Model: Cakix (GigaPoint) 803G
  • Roku Device Details:
    • Model TCL #43S525 on the back of the TV 
    • Serial Number: 2009GNA000639A00584 on TV and X00100CECTG6 according to site detail when I log into my Rouk account on my PC.
    • Device ID 43" TCL Roku TV
    • Software OS/Version I can't get to that screen. In a dead-end loop of 003.
  • Tracker ID: Connection is not dropping. The connection is fine.
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.