Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Karbear12

Connecting to starlink satellite… even though it says I am on my phone

Jump to solution

I’m connected to satellite but Roku says I’m not. What do I do…………………

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Connecting to starlink satellite… even though it says I am on my phone

Jump to solution

Hi @Karbear12,

A warm welcome to the Roku Community!

We're sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused. Let's try these quick steps here by navigating to Settings > Advanced system settings > Network connection reset > Reset connection. Also, make sure to restart your router and then try to reconnect your device.

Please let us know if this works for you. Thank you!

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Karbear12,

We're sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused. Let's try these quick steps here by navigating to Settings > Advanced system settings > Network connection reset > Reset connection. Also, make sure to restart your router and then try to reconnect your device.

Please let us know if this works for you. Thank you!

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
holden007
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I'm having the same experience recently with Starlink. I've restarted the Roku, rebooted the router and I've quadruple checked the password is correct. I have also reset the network connection as recommended.

The weirdest thing, which I think indicates this is a Roku issue, is that I can see that the Roku is in fact connected to my router and has an IP. I was also able to watch the device disconnect from my network when I restarted it and watched it automatically reappear in my device list.

Despite all of that, the Roku is still saying it's offline.

My router is setup to support both 2.4 & 5 GHz, and I have a mix of devices on the network using both bands without issue.

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @holden007,

We understand that you are having a connectivity issue with your Roku device. We'd like to take action on this, but we need more details to see if there are any options that we can look further into.

Refer to these questions to better identify the issue you're experiencing:

• What Roku device and model are you using now that has an issue? (e.g., Roku Express, Roku Streambar, Roku TV—specify TV)
  • Are you using your network's 2.4ghz or 5ghz band (go to Settings > Network > About) and look at the wifi channel number. (ch. 1-11 will be 2.4ghz, higher numbers 36 and up will be 5ghz.) Channels 52-140 are considered DFS channels, so there may be an issue with how the router or device handles them. Not all Roku devices support DFS, so the model numbers from above are pertinent).
  • Do the disconnections occur while watching content after a certain amount of time being idle or after you are finished streaming (i.e., each time you turn on the TV, you see the Roku is disconnected)?
  • Are there any error codes or messages (i.e., 14.30 error) or just a simple Not Connected in the upper right corner?

We look forward to hearing from you with the details and looking closely into this issue.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
holden007
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks for the help. Answers below:

• Roku Express (purchased 2 year ago and has been working fine until a week ago)
  • This information isn't available since the Roku is saying that it is disconnected. My router is running in mixed mode and I have a variety of both 2.4 GHz & 5 GHz devices on my network – they are all operating fine.
  • There is no connection, so nothing works
  • Error code is 014.50
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

When you say the router is in "mixed" mode, does that mean it's using all three modes (B/G/N) or just G/N? Sometimes even a "mixed" mode is only G/N. There are older reports (mostly with cable company modems/routers) that some Roku devices have issues with connections if the mode is only G/N. Starlink is so new that there's been little feedback from their users. 

One issue is your Roku Express only has a 2.4 GHz radio, so no ability to use the 5 GHz band. That's one of many reasons I never recommend the Express. The Express 4K+ is on sale right now and is not only a vastly superior player than your Express but it has a dual band radio as well. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
holden007
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Sorry, I meant it's not a split network for the different frequencies (2.4 vs. 5). The Starlink router specs state they support A/B/G/N/AC

We're using the Roku Express HD, which I believe is an older model compared to the Express 4K+

The 4K+ model may be inexpensive, but we have two Express HD devices in the house and to have to replace both of them at the same time isn't ideal. Especially since 2 weeks ago it was working great and I've changed nothing.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

There is no "Express HD". I realize you are simply referring to the basic Express. Frankly, I don't care for that model at all, and there's no comparison between any version of the Express and the Express 4K+. Roku has a bad habit of reusing a name on completely different hardware. I really wish they'd stop that, because it causes problems when trying to assist people. 🙂

I realize the router supports all those modes, but you really should double-check the mode setting on your 2.4GHz radio in the router. Just to make sure it's set to B/G/N on the off chance it has the same connectivity issues that some cable modems have with some Roku devices. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
holden007
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Yeah I'm just going by the product name in my purchase history. I have a feeling there was a software update to the Starlink router that disabled the wireless mode (B?) that this older Roku was dependent on.

I tried to determine the answer to this earlier but the Starlink router interface isn't intuitive in some respects. Hopefully I can find a way to re-enable it and get us working again.

I'll make a mental note to buy a 4K+ in the near future even if I end up getting it working

0 Kudos