Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
twomp6
Channel Surfer

Re: Cannot Connect to Wi-Fi for 2 Days.

Jump to solution

I am not going to argue or debate with you or try to compare a roku device to a car. Thank you for your opinion. Using your logic , when you buy something it should not work properly and spend more money on another model of the same brand so you can possibly use it as it was intended and sold as.  

". If you bought the next model up those are dual band and would not have an issues." I bought this device to stream channels which it was intended for and sold as. The fault is solely with Roku for not working properly. Buying another upgraded model has nothing to do with the one I have not working. 

"The base model is missing features the other higher models have. It has nothing to do with Roku. "

If the "base model" cannot connect to the internet or do the things it is sold to do then  the problem is solely with Roku and the device. Sorry for applying common sense. You have fun buying more expensive models to try to possibly simply stream a channel on the device. 

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@twomp6  Do you often purchase items with reading about them or doing any research? You do realize that every single company offers different levels of their products right? Let’s look at Apple. Right now they offer 3 versions of the iPhone 13. The base model 13, the 13 Pro and the 13 Pro Max. So you buy the base model 13. You take some pictures and videos. The quality isn’t that great. The battery doesn’t last as long. Is that Apples fault? No it would be yours cause you didn’t take the time to realize that the camera on the iPhone 13 Pro is superior to the one on the iPhone 13. It also lacks features. Heck before I bought my 65” TCL Roku TV I spent about a month doing my research. Before I bought my home I did research. Before I bought my Audi S4 I did my research. Before I cut the cord I did my research. I knew what Roku I needed and exactly what it can do. Roku cannot control the modem in your home either 

0 Kudos
twomp6
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I would have liked it fine if it worked properly. Now I have people telling me I need to pay more money and buy another model for it to connect to the internet and it isn't the fault of roku for the device not connecting. Go on the internet , this is a common problem. Most people don't have the time to trouble shoot or go on forums just to stream from a device they bought brand new and is intended to simply be plugged in to an hdmi port on your tv and work.  I'm done.  I would never recommend it to anyone. 

0 Kudos
twomp6
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I bought a roku device to stream tv channels. It cannot do that. It isn't a car or a phone or a home. Have a nice day. 

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@twomp6  Your Roku will work perfectly fine once you change the settings in your modem. It’s that easy. All my Roku’s are dual band so I don’t have that issue. The steps that AvsGunnar laid out takes about 5-10 minutes and anyone can do it 

0 Kudos
twomp6
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

"Let’s look at Apple. Right now they offer 3 versions of the iPhone 13. The base model 13, the 13 Pro and the 13 Pro Max. So you buy the base model 13. You take some pictures and videos. The quality isn’t that great. The battery doesn’t last as long. Is that Apples fault? No it would be yours cause you didn’t take the time to realize that the camera on the iPhone 13 Pro is superior to the one on the iPhone 13".

So if this phone did not work and you could not even make a phone call I suppose you think it is the customers fault and he should have tirelessly done research on the phone or bought a more expensive model. If you cannot make calls then that is your fault. You didn't do enough research or spend enough money. Not being able to make a phone call has nothing to do with the iphone itself, it's the consumers fault it doesn't work. You need to try stand up. 

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@twomp6  You do realize a phone not making a call is entirely different right? So if your brand new phone did not make calls and all you had to do was swap Sim card you wouldn’t do it either? Are you always this stubborn?  Your Roku WILL work. You asked for help. You got help. But now your refusing to take the help. Have a nice day 

0 Kudos
twomp6
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I understand that a roku device is different from a phone or a car or a home. You made these comparisons I did not. You made those references. I also know the difference between "you're" and "your" which you apparently do not.  You also claim my Roku will work and I appreciate that. Thanks for your help. 

0 Kudos
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@twomp6  now you’re splitting hairs. Follow the advice that AvsGunnar as taking the time to lay out. Afterwords Roku’s will work perfectly fine

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Whenever I search for a problem and find that other people have it, I am happy!  Why?  Because if I read those threads, there may well be a solution or at least a work-around in there!  When I search for a problem and find no matches (which is very rare but it has happened) then I think – Oh great – now I have to perform lots of experiments.

I see lots of people complaining about Wi-Fi and things not connecting on my ISP's forum too.  But the ISP doesn't really care.  They supply the WAN and they leave the LAN to you.  They'll happily point you to a generic page about improving Wi-Fi performance.  If you want to ignore your LAN, then you basically get what you get. 

By the way, the Roku Ultra will connect via ethernet.  For people who don't want to mess with Wi-Fi, it's a solid option.  And Wi-Fi certainly can be messy.  There are bands, channels, modes, and your best settings may be impacted by your neighbors since most of us have many other Wi-Fi networks leaking into our homes.  Ethernet is much more solid, simple, and local.  But someone does need to run a wire.  But if you don't want to do that, you can hire a guy.

In fact at my ISP's forum, a conversation that happens multiple times a day goes like:

User: I'm not getting anywhere near my full speed! / My Internet is flakey!

ISP: Is this on a wired connection?

User: No

ISP: Try a wired a connection.

User: That works – full speed / solid connection.

ISP: Great!  Now you can browse our generic page on Wi-Fi performance if you wish!  Glad we could help! 

Smiley Very Happy