Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mellie702

At home/hotel dorm continued issue

Jump to solution

A week ago both my Roku streaming+ sticks decided to stop connecting to my home wifi (have signals spilt and both connected to the 2.4 channel with no problem for over 2 years)

1 of the sticks was easily fixed with a simply restart but the main stick has continued to have issues. When creating connection it asks if I'm at home or a hotel/dorm which it has never done before or does the 2nd roku stuck as that.  (Adding the stick that is now working the signal shows poor but it connects with no problems)

-Troubleshooting ive done-

restarted numerous times

Factory reset the stick

Restarted network & power cycled (in order) no change 

Tired wired connection - no change

Created entire new network IDs and passwords -no change

(right now havent allowed more then 4 devices access to the network that the roku is on to minimize network traffic in case that was the issue)

Even grabbed the spare roku stick+ we have and fdr it and set it up and no change it's doing the exact same thing. no change what-so-ever 

Reached out to my internet service provider and everything is good there. All other devices have no problem connecting to my either of my home wifi networks. 

Signal shows as excellent on stick that asks if it's in a home or a dorm. 

Connected to my Hotspot on my phone in order to set up the stick and update it after the fdr and it works perfectly on the hotspot but I refuse to keep it on my limited Hotspot. Whole reason I have wifi at home is to not rely on a Hotspot.

Even went to my roku account online and removed all roku devices then added them back 1 at a time and ensured the locations showed correct on the profile

I have done everything except smash the roku sticks into a ton of pieces. Someone needs to give a fix for this issue

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: At home/hotel dorm continued issue

Jump to solution

Hi @Mellie702,

From the Roku Community, a warm welcome and thanks for getting in touch to us!

We want to further investigate this issue that you had on the Roku 3 since it stopped connecting to your hotel and dorm Wi-Fi connection. Could you elaborate more about the problem that you had? Are you getting any error messages or codes?

In the meantime, you may check out this support article here.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
BRC

Jump to solution

just bought a second express for the bedroom and I have the same issue..no way around it and no way to access settings..no work around...no fix.. even though my internet provider said the internet is good and all other devices are connected and working properly, i'm not sure, because this unit works fine when I set it up in a different house with a different internet provider. One thing for sure is in setting it up at the second home where the device is working I was never asked about the dorm option ( it never popped up ) 

0 Kudos
RokuJechealR
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Mellie702 @BRC,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We apologize for the connectivity issues causing difficulties in your Roku device. We appreciate your patience on this matter. Also, thanks for the troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue. For us to help you better, we will ask a set of questions to isolate the problem:

• What is the model number of your Roku device that has this kind of issue?
  • When prompted to question whether you are at home or a hotel/dorm @Mellie702, what do you choose when prompted?
  • Are you encountering any error codes or messages?
  • Who is your internet service provider (ISP)?

Please keep us posted regarding the behavior you are experiencing, and we will be more than happy to continue assisting you further.

All the best,
Chel

Jecheal R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Has anyone gotten this issue resolved? I am having the same issue with my Roku 4200x - Roku 3. 

0 Kudos
RokuJohnB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Mellie702,

From the Roku Community, a warm welcome and thanks for getting in touch to us!

We want to further investigate this issue that you had on the Roku 3 since it stopped connecting to your hotel and dorm Wi-Fi connection. Could you elaborate more about the problem that you had? Are you getting any error messages or codes?

In the meantime, you may check out this support article here.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks,
John

John
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
rjdusa
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Mellie

I am serious the same issues as you describe in your post. When trying to connect to my Internet, keeps asking whether I’m in the hotel or Dawn or at home. Saying select at home and it goes back to the settings. I tried to resolve this using the same techniques as you did. Have you been able to take care of this problem? Do you have any suggestions?

. Have you been able to take care of this problem? Do you have any suggestions?

Rjdusa

0 Kudos
Pelk
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution
Spoiler
Same issue with my TV

This started on 9-25-2024. Reached out to roku support. No Help. I've done everything except set it back to factory default. Im at a loss. I have 4 other rokus and no issues. 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.