Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Slimey-
Reel Rookie

Refuses to update to 13.1.4.1512 (error 004)

Jump to solution

3800X refuses to update to 13.1.4.1512 from 13.0.0.24056, gives error while download is at 85% every time with update error 004, tested on home network with xfinity, at work and Verizon hotspot on my phone and get same results.  When it errors out I press Ok and am just left with a background.  Tried steps at https://community.roku.com/t5/Wi-Fi-connectivity/Update-error-004-over-and-over/td-p/914263 reboots, changing the update server method, factory defaults, recovery mode, nothing works.

I have another hisense roku tv that works fine over the same wired and wireless network at home so what gives?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: 3800X refuses to update to 13.1.4.1512 (error 004)

Jump to solution

Hi, @Slimey- 

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community.

We understand that you are unable to update your Roku device to the latest software version and have Error Code 004, and we're here to assist in resolving this issue. Let's perform a system restart on your Roku device by navigating to Settings > System > Power > System Restart. 

After the restart has been performed, kindly update your Roku device in Settings > System > Software update, then Check Now

For more detailed instructions, visit our Support page: How to update the software on your Roku streaming device | Official Roku Support.

We hope this works, and let us know if you're still having the same issue, and we'll assist you further.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi, @Slimey- 

Thanks for posting here in the Roku Community.

We understand that you are unable to update your Roku device to the latest software version and have Error Code 004, and we're here to assist in resolving this issue. Let's perform a system restart on your Roku device by navigating to Settings > System > Power > System Restart. 

After the restart has been performed, kindly update your Roku device in Settings > System > Software update, then Check Now

For more detailed instructions, visit our Support page: How to update the software on your Roku streaming device | Official Roku Support.

We hope this works, and let us know if you're still having the same issue, and we'll assist you further.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Slimey-
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

That didn't work.

0 Kudos
MackJsy
Reel Rookie

Error 004 trying to update repeatedly on one device

Jump to solution

Model : 3930EU - Roku Express
Serial Number X004002D6KR0 (S01V314D6KR0)
Software Version: 1.5.0 build 4178-AE

Issue ID : R0-317-510  or R0-317-516

ISP: Jersey Telecom
Router: PFSense

I've got 1 identical device that has updated fine (same wifi network/router/ISP) - although that was in constant use, and another device (above), which was inactive since about Nov last year that is now always getting a 004 error when trying to update, I factory reset it, and now cannot do anything with it.

Have tried multiple wifi networks and also hotspotting from phones, all seem to give the same error.  Doing a packet capture on the network seems to show no traffic from the device when you click on the OK to do update, it counts 1%, 2% then error 004. From the packet capture - it connects to 54.172.82.240 whilst checking if there is an update, and then when it's said there is one - it goes no further.
So without adding a reverse https proxy in to see what is in the packets I can't diagnose this any further.

Regards 

Mack.

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Error 004 trying to update repeatedly on one device

Jump to solution

Hi, Community users.

Thanks for bringing this issue to our attention. 

Kindly be advised that we have forwarded this issue to the appropriate Roku team for review and investigation. We understand your concern, and our team will work on this diligently.

We hope for your patience and understanding in the meantime.

Best wishes,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
MackJsy
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Indeed RokuTakashi , as the devices (in my case) is effectively bricked and un-usable.

0 Kudos
MackJsy
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

RokuTakashi  is this helpful putting it into an old thread?
Or is it a systemic problem, and a reason why we shouldn't buy ROKU ???
Device I have is now heading to the local tip.

0 Kudos