Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BASS
Reel Rookie

Feature Request: Profanity Filter

Does anyone know if Roku has plans to offer any profanity filter software apps that can be installed on the device? Is it even up for discussion? My family likes to watch tv and movies but are extremely limited in what we can see because we do not like to hear STREET TALK constantly. We would definitely pay an extra fee to have it.

30 REPLIES 30
andyross
Roku Guru

Re: Profanity Filter

There is no real practical profanity filter devised yet. Trying to use closed captioning is not reliable, especially anything live, and the processing power needed to properly analyze the audio would be quite high and still not reliable.

EveretteR
Reel Rookie

There is a Netflix profanity filter for Google. Works great and you can add words to it.  I am not sure why Roku couldn't do the same.  

Jonify

I would be willing to pay extra so I can view a movie without being hit with numerous f-bombs.

Isn't there someone out there who is up for this? Creating such a filter would be welcomed by many streamers!

BlancheX
Channel Surfer

What is the point of watching Keven Hart, Dave Chappelle and other great comics if every other word is bleeped? It completely disrupts the flow of the routine. And yes, I agree, there are plenty of very funny clean comics and I love them, however, too many Netflix stand up specials are censored. WHAT IS THIS? SOVIET RUSSIA??"??""?

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

You need to complain to Netflix, not Roku.  Roku doesn't control the programming on any channel other than their own.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos

@renojim wrote:

You need to complain to Netflix, not Roku.  Roku doesn't control the programming on any channel other than their own.

Well, that’d be a good start. 

0 Kudos
BASS
Reel Rookie

I’m asking for a filter app on the Roku device that would block language on all channels. Dish network has TV Guardian that can be installed on their box for a small monthly fee.

Re: Feature Request: Profanity Filter

Disabling the ads on Roku is not going to hurry up your internet speeds except you are on some thing as sluggish as dialup. If you're experiencing gradual speeds as you can read, you ought to contact your ISP and feature them check your net.

0 Kudos
kayjun
Reel Rookie

Re: Feature Request: Profanity Filter

Until Roku offers something, your only options are probably Clearplay and Vidangel. For a minimal monthly cost you can filter most movies and some TV shows. Filters work on Amazon, Netflix, Disney Plus and others. Vidangel can purchase from Amazon and cast it to your TV. Works great.